Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Intelligent design? Really?
Intelligent design? Really?
Intelligent design (as most of us know) is just a front for creationism, but when you check reality, it becomes very clear that some things aren't intelligently designed at all. We can't prove they weren't designed by a magical sky daddy, but we can damn well prove that the sky daddy was a fucking moron.

For instance, exhibit A:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurrent_laryngeal_nerve

The laryngeal nerve, starts at the brain, goes all the way down and loops around the heart and then goes all the way back up to the larynx. And all it does, is control the larynx. Does that look intelligently designed to you? It looks stupidly designed to me, if your god really does exist, he is very inept in the inner workings of large organisms. If a contractor installing electrical wiring, looped the wire around my house 6 times, only to provide power to my TV, I wouldn't be very impressed.

How about this:
[Image: appendix3.jpg]

The appendix. What kind of dumbass makes an organ, that we don't use? What kind of mentally retarded god, makes a useless organ that has been known, on occasion, to blow up and kill the person?

And how about our mouths. How stupid does someone have to be to design a respiratory system and digestive system and give them the same hole to work out of? Why could this all powerful, all knowing god, create a system in which it would be impossible for me to choke on a sweet?

In conclusion, due to the vast amount of evidence against intelligent design, and indeed creationism, I think I am being reasonable when I conclude that anyone who believes we are designed, is a dolt who needs to be thrown back into school and re-educated.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
RE: Intelligent design? Really?
I am presently in a staggering amount of pain. My subluxed rib is impinging on some nerves and causing intercostal muscle spasms which feel like i'm having a heart attack if I keep still, and like i've been stabbed with an ice pick if I move faster than a sloth. So I am entirely ready to agree with you.

The body truly is a wonderful thing with a level of sophistication, function and redundancy which is amazing. There are, however, some really fucked up design flaws Dodgy The spine is much better designed for a body to hang from it like trousers from a hanger than it is to be a weight bearing column.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
We use our appendix.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...96277.html
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Do you get any good meds for that?

(March 1, 2014 at 1:25 pm)Rahul Wrote: We use our appendix.

I stand corrected about the appendix, thank you Rahul.

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
There's a comedian called Dara O'Briain who does a wonderful routine on this. He asks "How well designed are you. Take your clothes off and stand in front of the mirror. The God that made mountains and sunsets made you. What kind of an off-day was he having exactly?"

There are so many examples of poor design in us the idea of a designer is laughable. I write this standing at my computer as my back has "gone again." According to my Doctor its just not all that well designed for complex things like sitting, standing or lying down. If it wasn't for ibuprofen I'd be hanging upside down in a cupboard crying.

Lets not mention the design of the eye - blood supply in front of the light receptive cells - genius. Didn't make that mistake with the Octopus did he and why do Goldfish have so much better colour vision* that we do? Why does an Eagle have 4 times the resolution we do (why did pterosaurs have 10 times the resolution come to that - and they are extinct).

* - to be fair most things have better colour vision that I do - I didn't see the numbers in the dots test apart from the very first slide and apparently that's one everyone sees.

And who puts waste disposal right next to the main recreation area (or procreation area if you prefer)?

(March 1, 2014 at 1:25 pm)Rahul Wrote: We use our appendix.

We do - we use our spleen too - but we can live without either (both).
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
That laryngeal nerve path of course is an inheritance from the fishies in our ancestry. But if we already complain, what are giraffes supposed to say? Smile
Quote:What kind of an off-day was he having exactly?"

The dickheads claim we were made in his "image."
(March 1, 2014 at 1:32 pm)Alex K Wrote: That laryngeal nerve path of course is an inheritance from the fishies in our ancestry. But if we already complain, what are giraffes supposed to say? Smile

Not only is it evidence against ID, its evidence for evolution. Not that that would ever convince a creationist.

Don't you think that if we had been designed by god, and we were made in his image, we would be perfect? Perfect for any environment we found ourselves in? I would really like to know how creationists rationalize in the face of all this evidence.

(March 1, 2014 at 1:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:What kind of an off-day was he having exactly?"

The dickheads claim we were made in his "image."

Dickheads without any imagination. It's why pretty much every god for the most part has been anthropomorphised to some extent. A flying spaghetti monster is much more imaginative, by far, than an angry, bearded white guy in a dress.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(March 1, 2014 at 1:29 pm)max-greece Wrote: We do - we use our spleen too - but we can live without either (both).

We can live without legs too.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent design Nihilist Virus 27 3465 April 5, 2019 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Religious people are less intelligent than atheists Bow Before Zeus 186 20903 December 23, 2017 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Another "how could any intelligent woman be a Christian?" thread drfuzzy 17 2835 September 14, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Intelligent Atheists: Who/What Was Jesus? Cleo 87 18215 December 4, 2015 at 1:56 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Design argument Phil 4 2291 May 2, 2012 at 10:43 am
Last Post: mediamogul
  What Intelligent Design Tells Us About God FadingW 13 5366 September 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb