Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equality.
Equality.
I live in multicultural society. It's hard to wish well only for your own religious folks and not religious folks of others. Furthermore it's hard to make a distinction of one being better than the other, as far their humanity goes.

It feels we are rather pretty much equal. It doesn't seem one religious group has more goodness than another.

Furthermore, we ought to wish well for one another. Furthermore it seems we ought to respect one another.

Yet people of some faiths believe, that, no one but their group will enter paradise.

I don't know how one can believe they ought to respect one another or wish well for one another, when God is going to disregard those people.

Why do they believe God loves them but doesn't love people of other faiths?

Why do they believe God respects them but not people of other faiths?

Why are their sins forgiven, but others' sins punishable?
RE: Equality.
When you say 'God' I'm assuming you mean the Christian god? God doesn't love people of other faiths because he is a jealous, vindictive, narcissistic dictator.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Why? Because the bible says it. Yahweh/Jesus says it themselves that people of other faiths are doomed. You only get forgiven if you prostrate yourself to the right deity.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 2, 2014 at 1:05 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I live in multicultural society. It's hard to wish well only for your own religious folks and not religious folks of others. Furthermore it's hard to make a distinction of one being better than the other, as far their humanity goes.

It feels we are rather pretty much equal. It doesn't seem one religious group has more goodness than another.

Furthermore, we ought to wish well for one another. Furthermore it seems we ought to respect one another.

Yet people of some faiths believe, that, no one but their group will enter paradise.

I don't know how one can believe they ought to respect one another or wish well for one another, when God is going to disregard those people.

Welcome to atheism Mystic.

Peace to you too.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Because they're living in a fantasy world of their own creation. Even though they were taught to believe what they currently believe in, they still have a choice whether to blindly follow, or use their own logic. Thereby they continue digging themselves deeper and deeper into this nonsensical world of theirs.
(March 2, 2014 at 1:05 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I live in multicultural society. It's hard to wish well only for your own religious folks and not religious folks of others. Furthermore it's hard to make a distinction of one being better than the other, as far their humanity goes.

The simple answer is that people (and animals) believe that their own group is special and more worthy than other groups. It's basic animal behavior.
Its because 'they're the chosen ones'.. mystic, you gotta realize that religion is for the ego.
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.
According to Christianity, "their" sins are also forgivable, as long as "they" become "us." That's why you have so many born-agains claiming to have done a lot of terrible stuff in their past.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I don't see why make salvation based on faith to begin with. Makes no sense whatsoever.
If god would manifest himself in reality regularly then we wouldn't have this debate and there would be no problem.
I hate to break it to you, but what you are describing are the natural failings of human beings. We are capable of the most awful acts and thoughts and will always seek to come together in a way where we feel united. Often the way we feel more united with our fellow men and women is our shared prejudices against what we perceive to be a threat / difference to our narrow world view. There is nothing more threatening to a group of people with certain powerful beliefs than those beliefs being questioned by another set of people with equally powerful beliefs, it becomes impossible to reconcile. Therefore human beings over time have found ways to justify persecuting other human beings even though they may have some kind of faith that actually teaches the opposite. Read some history, war can be defined as religious intolerance. If you are looking for true peace you must free yourself from the idea that you need to believe in a higher power, then you will see that it is actually men that cause the problems, but also men that can solve them! Men and women are capable of many good things and many bad things without even bringing the idea of god into existence. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catholics are victims of marriage equality (apparently) piterski123 76 10778 July 5, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  #Hometovote (On Irish Marriage Equality) Fidel_Castronaut 4 1903 May 24, 2015 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  the beauty of blasphemous equality liam 16 5349 June 12, 2012 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger