Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My take on Life
My take on Life
I've been thinking a lot about life lately, and I wanted to share my thoughts on it;, why I'm a Christian, what I think about evolution and what-not, because I know everyone cares a ton about what I have to say. Sarcasm aside, I know that atheists (and Christians) can get very hostile when someone of an opposite belief is listening, and I wanted to see what reception my views would get from and atheist.

I have been a Christian for my entire life, and I still am. I've had some experiences that I won't get too into because, for an atheist, they are extremely mock-worthy. One I will relate however. it was just like all the stories you read on the internet about people dying and seeing Jesus; that, except it happened to someone I knew. He had an accident, and supposedly when he woke up, the first thing he did was ask where the angels went, and if they knew Jesus. I can't simply ignore that, because it happened to someone I know; it wasn't a publicized story. Was he delusional? Possibly, but I've had other experienced, though no profound ones. Not a main reason to be a Christian, but it's sprinkles on the sundae.

But some of the stuff in the Bible just doesn't make that much sense. Like, all the laws in Leviticus; supposedly it was the Israelites gone renegade, and that when Jesus died he made "New Laws." But why would God let that all that stuff in the Bible in the first place? Especially since basically the theme of Christianity is that God is omniscient, and "everything He says is eternal." I mean, if he excepts you to either worship him or go through eternal punishment, and then He throws that stuff in the Bible, and then says He loves us... I don't really get it. And yeah I'm just a lowly human, but common. That's just not cool.

And who deserves eternal punishment anyway? i don't believe even Hitler does. And yet there are perfectly awesome atheists who lived lives as good people, and I'm supposed to believe that this omniscient ruler sent them to burn for an infinite amount of time? I don't like that idea. Contradictory.

So for Christianity, that seems like a positive and several negatives. So why am I a Christian? Because the atheist side of things doesn't make sense to me either. Please don't attempt to explain things to me, like transitional fossils and the like. I have spent many years of my life learning about these topics; I am not an ignorant fool. These are my opinions, and if you think you can sway them, you can't, because there is no evidence to bring forth that I haven't seen. When I say "I don't believe that...", please don't interpret it as, "I don't understand how..." Because I do understand. And I don't agree.

For instance, I don't believe that an explosion of nothing could create all of the stars and planets and galaxies and nebulas that we see abundantly in our universe, at such vast, incomprehensible distances. I don't believe that life, as complex as it is, could from from a bunch of amino acids scattered around in a pool, and that those would come together to eventually make life, where you find self-replicating microscopic organisms that are more complex than any man-made machine could ever hope to be.

And if evolution did happen, I don't believe a system based on being better than the other species could create all of the perfect and well-balanced ecosystems abundant on our planet today. I don't believe that there should be such an absence of transitional fossils (sorry, had to bring this up). And for the fossils that are there, like archaeopteryx as a transition from deinonychus/velociraptors to birds. You would think with evolution that you would find fossils in several different stages of evolution, but with this particular example, only multiple of each individual species have been found; a bunch of deinonychus, a bunch of archaeopteryx, nothing in between. This to me logically suggests the two were individual species, and there was no transitioning involved.

These are not the only reasons; I have more to reasons to believe and doubt both theories on the origins of life. Despite the evidence for and against either one, I stay with Christianity because, to me, it makes more sense. I have viewed the two in extensive detail, and for me atheism just comes up short. I believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth several thousand years ago, and that Jesus came to the Earth to die for my sins. I have not mocked any views that atheists may have; I have not sarcastically referred to something they bring up from time to time. I know this is an atheism forum, but I hope you will have the same respect for me.

If you have read this entire post, I sincerely thank you for your time, and encourage you to civilly reply with your thoughts. I have not proofread this post, so there will be some errors that you might have noticed; I am sorry for them and hope that you still got the general message of what I was trying to say. Thank you.
RE: My take on Life
(March 2, 2014 at 8:35 pm)Spage Wrote: and encourage you to civilly reply with your thoughts.

But exactly what kind of comments are you asking for if earlier you wrote "please don't attempt to explain things to me" and that no one can change your opinions?

Oh, BTW, welcome to the forum.
I'm a bit confused as to why you're here then.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts, really. All I typically see on the internet from atheists are hostile comments involving curses and insults berating God and those that believe in him. It does some rather odd to say my opinion cannot be swayed, then to ask for comments. If you think this thread has no purpose, then delete it by all means. However, I wanted to share my views with someone, and so I cam here and shared them. Even when I said what I did, I really wasn't sure what people could say. However, I hoped that someone might have something to say, and I hoped even more that they would be civil and respectful. I thought that if I provided a logical and sensical post, that I might be able to have a civil talk with someone of opposite views.

In short, I wasn't sure what to expect when posting this. I figured at least a single person reading this might have something to say besides asking what I want people to reply with. If I am wrong and this is considered spam, please delete this thread.
I got to the part where the OP started shouting about how well he understood evolution and concluded he was a close minded fucktard and didn't bother to read the rest. There is nothing he could say or do that would convince me otherwise. Except maybe present some evidence he is correct.

Oh, and fuck Jesus.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Did you even read any of the threads on this forum before you joined? If you say something stupid, expect to be insulted. Actually, expect it regardless. Also, any and all language is allowed on this forum, and you're here by choice, so either take it in stride or GTFO, christard.
(March 2, 2014 at 8:35 pm)Spage Wrote: I don't believe that an explosion of nothing could create all of the stars and planets and galaxies and nebulas that we see abundantly in our universe

Fuck me, sweet Jesus, if you think this is what scientific theory actually claims, please, feel free to go reinsert your head up your ass.
(March 2, 2014 at 8:35 pm)Spage Wrote: Because I do understand. And I don't agree.[/b]

For instance, I don't believe that an explosion of nothing...

No, you don't understand.

Only YEC proponents ever say an explosion of nothing in reference to the birth of the universe.

No scientists make that claim.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
There are several points in the OP that lead me to believe you haven't read up as much as you'd like us to think. For example, "if evolution did happen." If you've read anything about evolution, you'd know it's happenING. Also, atheism means a lack of belief in deities. It says nothing about science. But, screw it. There's nothing to discuss here, really. Mental masturbation, maybe?
Or we could talk about the abundance of transitional fossils showing the evolution of whales from their land based ancestors. That is spectacularly represented in the fossil record.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3444 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 9005 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6504 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 7492 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? robvalue 147 13137 August 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2723 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  "Jesus take the wheel, 'cause I sure ain't!" Gawdzilla Sama 19 2068 December 20, 2016 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists henryp 63 10090 January 1, 2016 at 5:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What proof would it take for me to believe in god? Lemonvariable72 37 8024 October 17, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: IATIA
  What Would It Take? Shuffle 90 16245 September 14, 2015 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon