Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Culture and Respect
Culture and Respect
So I was fangirling on a Xena binge (sushi and chocolate chip!) when I finished season 4 episode 15. In this episode Xena and Gabrielle are in India wandering around. They stop to watch a funeral procession, and my rosy liberal glasses came on almost immediately. The wife of the dead man was going to be thrown into the pyre with her husband, this pisses of Xena and Gabby who stop the mourners. It got me thinking when in a new place as guest where is line in respecting someone's religious or cultural differences? And when do you get to this is bullshit?
RE: Culture and Respect
I'm an anthropology student and this comes up for anthropologists a lot. My professor takes students to Fiji in the summers. Fiji is famous for its former practice of cannibalism. They supposedly stopped this practice 50 years ago, but there are still some Elders left who remember the old ways. If my professor and/or her students found out they were still practicing cannibalism, would it be their moral responsibility to stop it?

It's their job to observe, study, and report their findings on this culture, and intervening would drastically change the behavior of the subjects. The scientific side of what they do actually obligates them NOT to intervene. Cultural relativism (not to be confused with the philosophical position of moral relativism) is supposed to be central to the anthropological method - that is, trying not to judge other cultures by our own culture's standards.

On the other hand, they would most likely have the personal conviction that cannibalism is not just morally wrong, but one of the most heinous things a human can do to another.

Personally, I think either response would be acceptable, if the lack of intervention was for SCIENCE and the intervention was for GOOD.

Most people don't have the professional/scientific responsibilities an anthropologist has. I think in that case, they don't really have a very good reason not to intervene when they see something that strikes them as morally wrong.
(March 5, 2014 at 2:12 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: So I was fangirling on a Xena binge (sushi and chocolate chip!) when I finished season 4 episode 15. In this episode Xena and Gabrielle are in India wandering around. They stop to watch a funeral procession, and my rosy liberal glasses came on almost immediately. The wife of the dead man was going to be thrown into the pyre with her husband, this pisses of Xena and Gabby who stop the mourners. It got me thinking when in a new place as guest where is line in respecting someone's religious or cultural differences? And when do you get to this is bullshit?

Well, I wonder how two people stopped a mass of people who are going to burn someone alive. Kinda makes me think that its almost a fools errand and puts your own life in danger.
But I guess that's Xena for you.

Sati, the practice you're referring to, is not done by throwing the wife on the pyre, the wife jumps in herself.
In all, if you go to a foreign land with foreign people and foreign customs, its best to accustom yourselves with these and try to be a good guest, as they ought to try to be a good host. Yes, you ought to be respectful.

Quote:I'm an anthropology student and this comes up for anthropologists a lot. My professor takes students to Fiji in the summers. Fiji is famous for its former practice of cannibalism. They supposedly stopped this practice 50 years ago, but there are still some Elders left who remember the old ways. If my professor and/or her students found out they were still practicing cannibalism, would it be their moral responsibility to stop it?
Well, conquerors and visitors are two different things. Conquerors, as the conquerors they are, do have the right to claim moral superiority and do reserve the right to enact laws as they see fit.
If cannibalism was still on large, and widely practiced, you and your cushy college student types would not be able to make a difference, as no one is going to change their customs just because a few college kids and an old man politely asked them to.
Quote:Personally, I think either response would be acceptable, if the lack of intervention was for SCIENCE and the intervention was for GOOD.
The lack of intervention in your case was for your scientific studies, but for most, its just because an intervention would not make a difference.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Cannibalism has to be halted due to a history of developing and spreading prion based diseases.

Public health overrides cultural defects.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(March 5, 2014 at 2:50 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Conquerors, as the conquerors they are, do have the right to claim moral superiority and do reserve the right to enact laws as they see fit.

Oh, gee, now I understand Africa AND the Nazis! They were right all along!

/s
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(March 5, 2014 at 2:24 am)futilethewinds Wrote: It's their job to observe, study, and report their findings on this culture, and intervening would drastically change the behavior of the subjects. The scientific side of what they do actually obligates them NOT to intervene.

If only Christians could learn to do that in relation to other beliefs.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Kilics definition of rights appears to be in the form of "might makes right"
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(March 5, 2014 at 1:41 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Kilics definition of rights appears to be in the form of "might makes right"

Yes, and it bears striking similarity to the definitions supported by those who loosed fire hoses on blacks in the Civil Rights era. No thank you.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
If someone is begging for help, and I have the power to help, I would help. If the wife was fine, and jumped in on her own, I'm not going to pull her out. If the guy going to be eaten was already dead, and they didn't flat out murder them (which should be illegal there anyway), then fine.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 5, 2014 at 1:28 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote:
(March 5, 2014 at 2:50 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Conquerors, as the conquerors they are, do have the right to claim moral superiority and do reserve the right to enact laws as they see fit.

Oh, gee, now I understand Africa AND the Nazis! They were right all along!

/s

[Image: 41dTHzJo0YL.jpg]

Of course, he was a bit of a dick, too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manipulation culture by left wingers Richi29 13 1098 July 24, 2020 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 835 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Hipster or Edgelord culture? Docto021 16 2191 May 14, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  I've been thinking about racism, immigration, violence, murder and culture Shinri 6 718 October 12, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Losing respect for Rand Paul shadow 127 11379 February 4, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Feminism in prehistoric times / primitive culture larson 107 22586 May 18, 2017 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Anyone else live in Arizona and tired of the political culture NuclearEnergy 13 3403 April 22, 2017 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is it possible to maintain and respect cultural heritage and not be a racist Drich 90 12519 March 16, 2015 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  feminist culture nintendo048 76 14855 March 17, 2014 at 11:08 am
Last Post: nintendo048
  Culture of dishonesty? Something completely different 2 984 January 23, 2013 at 9:46 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko