Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 12:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing to believe
Choosing to believe
I have a 90 minute drive to work on a Wednesday. I try to vary my audio book / podcast listening pleasure. Hence this morning was the rather entertaining "across the pond", a current affairs Christian podcast, and this evening was "the God delusion".

On of prof Dawkins statements, under Pascals Wager, was that one can't simply decide to believe in something. I wonder if that's true.

What say you?
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: Choosing to believe
(March 5, 2014 at 5:13 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: I have a 90 minute drive to work on a Wednesday. I try to vary my audio book / podcast listening pleasure. Hence this morning was the rather entertaining "across the pond", a current affairs Christian podcast, and this evening was "the God delusion".

On of prof Dawkins statements, under Pascals Wager, was that one can't simply decide to believe in something. I wonder if that's true.

What say you?

If none of my options have any more of a reasonable expectation of truth than any other, I can choose to believe any of them. If you mean have a belief in something that does not meet my criteria of having reasonable chance of being correct, I cannot.
NOT logic:
1. Claim to have logic
2. Throw a tantrum when asked to present it
3. Claim you've already presented it
4. Repeat step 1

*Rampant.A.I.'s quote
I can choose to believe I have a massive member.

The fact that it's true backs such a belief up.

Wink Shades

However, I can also believe that I am a millionaire.

Or I could believe I might become a millionaire.

There, the distinction shifts and becomes quite interesting.

I can't believe in a state in which I cannot possibly exist, based on the truths I know and the accepted parameters in which I presently live. But I could choose to believe in the possibility of an occurrence that is inherently possible due to that belief still existing within the accepted parameters of my life, but being highly unlikely.

This is where religion falls down.

The beliefs in the possibility of a deity, alongside the affirmation that there is a deity are both without merit under the current known parameters. Since parameters outside of those which we currently know - and those that are at all possible - would be inherently flawed.

Therefore, it is unreasonable to consider even the possibility.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
I can't help believing what I believe. Its how my mind works. And so I don't make any choices on my beliefs, if I don't believe something, I can't help it.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Here's a test.

1. Find a tall building
2. Choose to believe you can fly
3. Jump off the building

(Please don't try this at home in case you can)
(March 5, 2014 at 5:13 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: I have a 90 minute drive to work on a Wednesday. I try to vary my audio book / podcast listening pleasure. Hence this morning was the rather entertaining "across the pond", a current affairs Christian podcast, and this evening was "the God delusion".

What say you?

It seems easy enough to test (but I suppose belief is too intensely personal for this to apply to everyone). Answer honestly the following questions.

-Can you choose to believe there are faeries in you garden?

-Can you choose to believe that Greenland does not exist?

-Can you choose to believe that oak trees are actually made of edam cheese?

-Can you choose to believe that there are no such things as codfish?

-Can you choose to believe that the people you see on television are only a few inches high and actually live inside the box?

There's more, but that'll do to go on with. I doubt very much that people can choose to believe or disbelieve in a proposition, based solely on the nature of that proposition. They must be presented with evidence, compelling arguments, 'best explanation' scenarios - something that (to their minds, at least) justifies having a particular belief.

I suspect (but cannot prove) that the overwhelming majority of religionists believe in their particular god(s) via a combination of inertia and ignorance: their parents and grandparents held this belief, and they either haven't been presented with alternatives, or the reject the alternatives due to inertia.

I suppose, then, that people don't so much choose a belief as they become (rightly or wrongly) convinced of a belief.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What if you choose to expose yourself to only Christian literature, discuss religion with only Christian people, and avoid trains of thought which head down tracks you don't wish to consider?

In the sense of, I can't choose to have diarrhea, but I can choose to eat half a pound of figs.
Sith code
(March 5, 2014 at 6:19 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: What if you choose to expose yourself to only Christian literature, discuss religion with only Christian people, and avoid trains of thought which head down tracks you don't wish to consider?

In the sense of, I can't choose to have diarrhea, but I can choose to eat half a pound of figs.

In that sense, one probably could.

But is that choosing what to believe, or is it choosing a path that reduces the anxiety of cognitive dissonance?

Thinking

I thought of the question in these terms: Could I choose to believe as true, something that I currently think is a load of codswallop?

I do not think that I can.
Quote:What if you choose to expose yourself to only Christian literature, discuss religion with only Christian people, and avoid trains of thought which head down tracks you don't wish to consider?

Again, inertia + ignorance. In what you mentioned here, this is deliberate, willful ignorance: you are choosing to read the things you already agree with, so as to help convince yourself that the believe you already hold is correct. If you don't give yourself an option, they you cannot, logically, 'choose' anything.

In a very real sense (sorry, folks) a good number of non-believers are just as guilty of this sort of behaviour. How many times have you run across an atheists who proudly proclaims his/her ignorance of the Bible, or of any other scriptures? People like this haven't made the choice to be an atheist, they are prevent themselves for having to make a choice in the first place.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 5, 2014 at 6:26 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 5, 2014 at 6:19 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: What if you choose to expose yourself to only Christian literature, discuss religion with only Christian people, and avoid trains of thought which head down tracks you don't wish to consider?

In that sense, one probably could.

But is that choosing what to believe, or is it choosing a path that reduces the anxiety of cognitive dissonance?

Thinking

I thought of the question in these terms: Could I choose to believe as true, something that I currently think is a load of codswallop?

I do not think that I can.
Choosing the path of belief then. That certainly makes more sense, send is broadly compatible with Pascals Wager.

Having enjoyed both an atheist and theist selection of literature I do see in both (although the theists are much worse) a tendency to take the worse, most simplistic and weakest arguments of the other to attack. If one was exposed to only one its easy to see how one could choose to deny oneself evidence to support either position.
Sith code

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7826 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8436 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy