Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lent
Lent
As a non-Christian and lifelong atheist, I am unfamiliar with the rules of lent. As I understand it, it is giving up something of which you are very fond for a period of time. I would like to suggest to devout Christians that they give up their belief in god for lent, including church, the bible, prayer, etc. Try free-thinking, reason, logic, and scientific discovery on for size for a month and see if you are able to put aside your dogmas, if for only a short period.
RE: Lent
your religious views say that you are agnostic , and your post says you're a lifelong atheist . make up your mind Big Grin

make a post at the introduction area, tell us more about yourself.

and welcome Smile
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(March 6, 2014 at 10:18 pm)dr_jpeg Wrote: As a non-Christian and lifelong atheist, I am unfamiliar with the rules of lent. As I understand it, it is giving up something of which you are very fond for a period of time. I would like to suggest to devout Christians that they give up their belief in god for lent, including church, the bible, prayer, etc. Try free-thinking, reason, logic, and scientific discovery on for size for a month and see if you are able to put aside your dogmas, if for only a short period.

Lent is predominantly a Catholic practice, it definitely is only practiced by denominational Churches.
Quote: As I understand it, it is giving up something of which you are very fond for a period of time.

I wonder if the priests give up screwing the altar boys.........

Thinking

Welcome.
(March 6, 2014 at 10:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: As I understand it, it is giving up something of which you are very fond for a period of time.

I wonder if the priests give up screwing the altar boys.........

Thinking

Welcome.

No.

THat would be taking it too far!

Confusedhock:
Dying to live, living to die.
Re: RE: Lent
(March 6, 2014 at 10:21 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: your religious views say that you are agnostic , and your post says you're a lifelong atheist . make up your mind :D

make a post at the introduction area, tell us more about yourself.

and welcome :)

I am an atheist in that I don't believe in a deity. I am agnostic in that I believe that we got here somehow; life did not spontaneously sprout on this planet from nothing. "God" may be a comet which deposited some single-celled life form along with the water which makes up our oceans. That single-celled life form no doubt evolved into life as we know it.
(March 6, 2014 at 11:40 pm)dr_jpeg Wrote: I am an atheist in that I don't believe in a deity. I am agnostic in that I believe that we got here somehow; life did not spontaneously sprout on this planet from nothing. "God" may be a comet which deposited some single-celled life form along with the water which makes up our oceans. That single-celled life form no doubt evolved into life as we know it.

If god is a comet, then fuck'm.
Why care about a huge piece of rock that has a scientific reason for existence and caused life on earth using scientific reasons and some sequence of events over a huge period of time ??????
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a catholic thing where you give up something. Is it temporary, or permanent? Of course I'm sure that temporarily giving up your religious practices to try non religious ones or other religions goes against what the bible says about only worshiping one deity. He even puts it in the first two commandments that people love to talk about in America. Despite that half of them are unconstitutional, only two are actually illegal, and the murder one apparently only counts for non Yahwists or something.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 6, 2014 at 10:40 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Lent is predominantly a Catholic practice, it definitely is only practiced by denominational Churches.

Patently untrue. I grew up in a Non-denominational church. That practiced lent.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 7, 2014 at 12:47 am)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(March 6, 2014 at 10:40 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Lent is predominantly a Catholic practice, it definitely is only practiced by denominational Churches.

Patently untrue. I grew up in a Non-denominational church. That practiced lent.

Then I stand corrected.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  R'uh r'oh!! Corned beef brisket, St Paddy's Day and LENT !! vorlon13 34 3983 March 6, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: vorlon13