Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels
Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels
As Requested Dodgy

Ok, here's my problem. This is what clinched it for me.

Red is not purple.

Matthew says that the soldiers “put a scarlet robe” on Jesus (27:27-28), Mark says that “they clothed Him with purple ” (15:16-17), and John states that the soldiers put “a purple robe” on Him (19:1-2)

I've heard any number of takes on this and none of them are convincing.

Matthew could have been colourblind. Fine, but that means the human limitations of the authors have to be allowed for. Which means someone else might have written something wrong because of perspective.

It could be that one has to COMBINE the gospels to get to the truth. In which case we have a bible which all together leaves us a robe 2/3rds of the way between purple and red. Which is a different colour which is NOT RED AND NOT PURPLE. Read any one gospel and its wrong.

Or we could go down the route that it was a FADED red robe which was starting to look purple. In which case it wasn't red any more.

Some people have it that the romans used the same word for red AND purple. Bully for them. We don't. Red is not purple. Purple is not red.

I've read (ha) a few other explanations but fundamentally it boils down very simply. Red and purple are different. Thus if it was one thing, it was not the other thing. And if it was a THIRD thing (purply red or reddish purple) then it was NEITHER red nor purple.

That's it. Red is not purple.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels
(March 11, 2014 at 1:45 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote:

Are you serious?
Yep. Go ahead.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Orange is the new black.
(March 11, 2014 at 2:08 pm)discipulus Wrote: Are you serious?

... Said the man who believes in a Jewish wizard who came back from the dead. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Yes, the Bible contains contradictions. I think we all knew that. Was there a specific reason you wanted to point out this particular contradiction to the rest of us?

You said "This is what clinched it for me." Clinched what for you? The realization that the Bible contradicts itself?
That's MISTER Godless Vegetarian Tree Hugging Hippie Liberal to you.
(March 11, 2014 at 2:25 pm)Fromper Wrote: Yes, the Bible contains contradictions. I think we all knew that. Was there a specific reason you wanted to point out this particular contradiction to the rest of us?

You said "This is what clinched it for me." Clinched what for you? The realization that the Bible contradicts itself?

Clinched butt checks?
Purple was the imperial color in Ancient Rome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple

Quote:Purple was the color worn by Roman Emperors and magistrates, and later by Roman Catholic bishops. Since that time, purple has been commonly associated with royalty and piety.

This detail seems like a little gloss added to the story for the benefit of a gentile audience.

The paludamentum was a military cloak normally worn by a commander but the color was not really standardized. Julius Caesar was known for wearing a scarlet cloak in battle.
This could be what inspired Crayola. Big Grin
In portuguese, red is "vermelho" or "encarnado", purple is "roxo" (but can also be "púrpura")
In spanish, red is "rojo", puple is "púrpura".
In italian, red is "rosso", purple is "porpora".
In romanian, red is "roșu", purple is "purpuriu".
In french red is "rouge", purple is "pourpre".

Do you see where this is going?
Those damned portuguese mess up the whole thing.... or they're so far away from the center, that they kept the original word for purple and came up with a different one (or kept the pre-latin) for the well known red.

Let's check the etimology department...
It seems the portuguese "roxo" comes from the latin "russeus" which means dark red.

According to other places on the web, russeus means "reddish", or "having red as its color"...

But the original would have been written in greek, right?
According to google translator, russeus (latin) is "κόκκινος", in greek.... And that just means red.
Curiously, google translator also translates russeus to "vermelho" (portuguese), rojo (spanish), rosso (italian), roșu (romanian) and rouge (french).

So there you go... make of it what you will.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Gospels and the war in Ukraine. Jehanne 15 1958 April 7, 2022 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why I can't take the Gospels seriously. Jehanne 39 3557 June 18, 2021 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 12259 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  New WLC debate Jehanne 18 3336 March 28, 2017 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 23348 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An invitation to debate. Jehanne 63 8038 December 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Totally Agree! Minimalist 11 1762 December 22, 2016 at 4:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9441 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Information Catholics VS Protestants Debate Thread Edward John 164 19151 November 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  The WLC/Shelly debate -- gone missing! Jehanne 18 2908 October 8, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa