Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Militant Atheism?
Militant Atheism?
At university, i tend to take every chance i get to debunk and vilify religion. Many people have described me as militantly atheist. I kinda like it. However, i'm not sure that my course of action is the most effective, so...
I invite you all to tell me what you think of my behavior.
Should we, as atheists, go about our lives as quiet skeptics,
or should we arm ourselves with heavy artillery and pursue a war of ideas?
If you'd be so kind, give me some examples of the things you all do in your daily lives in support of either side.

I would just like to note that i have observed a general trend among believers. When you effectively question their belief to the point where they doubt their faith, they seem to get really depressed. Again, this is a general observation, and so i admit that some take it in stride (these cases are outliers in my opinion). If this thread lives long enough, maybe we can explore the ethics of 'taking someone's religious views away from them'.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"-Mewtwo
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.” - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”- Voltaire
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?” -Epicurus
RE: Militant Atheism?
Honestly? I just get on with my daily life and ignore any random people who might be pushing their own agendas. There's only been one instance since I've been at uni that I actively decided to get involved in a religious discussion, and that's only because the local community centre was handing out free hotdogs if you asked them a question about god.
(March 11, 2014 at 4:30 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Honestly? I just get on with my daily life and ignore any random people who might be pushing their own agendas. There's only been one instance since I've been at uni that I actively decided to get involved in a religious discussion, and that's only because the local community centre was handing out free hotdogs if you asked them a question about god.

Was it at least vienna?
(March 11, 2014 at 4:30 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Honestly? I just get on with my daily life and ignore any random people who might be pushing their own agendas. There's only been one instance since I've been at uni that I actively decided to get involved in a religious discussion, and that's only because the local community centre was handing out free hotdogs if you asked them a question about god.

Why, may i ask, do you ignore them? I feel compelled to be consistent in my efforts to drive people away from religion. I'm not going to allow people to get away with their ridiculous fallacious arguments. Do you have any reason for not pursuing the argument of religion?
Is it because you think it's pointless?
Apathy?
Nonchalance?
Why would you let people believe ridiculous things when you have a clearly contrasting opinion? It seems very conceited for someone like me to hear an idea that i disagree with, and that i have strong arguments against, to say something to the tune of "oh, well i disagree with you, but i will allow you to continue believing your ridiculous crap". What is your reasoning behind disagreeing with a vast majority of humans and yet not continually voicing your arguments? I cannot allow such nonsense to be presented as fact. I am uncomfortable with people who have a pseudo-scientific worldview.
If you could elaborate on your position and your reasoning, that would be most helpful
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"-Mewtwo
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.” - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”- Voltaire
The answer is a resounding Yes! It needs both approaches, and which one you choose depends on where you are in life and geographically, and whether you can pull it off or if it's out of character for you.
One thing is for sure: being only nice and pleasant has failed to work for decades, only after people have become unapologetic and in your face atheist, has any headway been made.
I think that as long as people are being cool with their religion, that is not pushing it, then you should tone down your anti-religion sentiment. There's no need to get all huffy over someone telling someone else "God bless" or something innocuous. But it's when they're actively campaigning for recruits or proselytizing is when it's OK to bring out the big guns. To constantly be on the anti-religion offensive is to be reactionary and will turn a lot of people off and further the stereotype of the angry, unhappy atheist.

(March 11, 2014 at 4:30 pm)Napoléon Wrote: There's only been one instance since I've been at uni that I actively decided to get involved in a religious discussion, and that's only because the local community centre was handing out free hotdogs if you asked them a question about god.

I think my question would be "Can God make a rock so big that he himself can't lift it?"
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Bull! Have you lived in Texas? It's religion down your throat 24/7. Be prepared to think of yourself as a second class citizen for being an nonbeliever in that society. All the reason to push back hard.
Although I agree that staying cool is a good idea. There's a differece between wearing your atheism proudly upfront, and being a jerk in everyday interactions. A fine line...
(March 11, 2014 at 4:41 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I think that as long as people are being cool with their religion, that is not pushing it, then you should tone down your anti-religion sentiment. There's no need to get all huffy over someone telling someone else "God bless" or something innocuous. But it's when they're actively campaigning for recruits or proselytizing is when it's OK to bring out the big guns. To constantly be on the anti-religion offensive is to be reactionary and will turn a lot of people off and further the stereotype of the angry, unhappy atheist.

(March 11, 2014 at 4:30 pm)Napoléon Wrote: There's only been one instance since I've been at uni that I actively decided to get involved in a religious discussion, and that's only because the local community centre was handing out free hotdogs if you asked them a question about god.

I think my question would be "Can God make a rock so big that he himself can't lift it?"

Although you have no choice but to *allow* everyone to believe nonsense. It's (supposed to be) a free country, and you can hardly force anyone to agree if they don't want to...
(March 11, 2014 at 4:44 pm)Alex K Wrote: Bull! Have you lived in Texas? It's religion down your throat 24/7. Be prepared to think of yourself as a second class citizen for being an nonbeliever in that society. All the reason to push back hard.
Although I agree that staying cool is a good idea. There's a differece between wearing your atheism proudly upfront, and being a jerk in everyday interactions. A fine line...

Yeah man, i live in texas. That is probably why i am so vocal.
I should elaborate on my position. I dont go off on a tangent everyone says "i'll pray for you" or something seemingly benevolent. What i should say is that everytime someone says "thank god for [insert life event]" i say (literally) "god probably isnt real". Is it wrong to be pushy about god existing? i'd say no.
If we could identify some general guidelines that one should follow when pursuing religious discourse (i.e. in what situations is it not a logically good thing to bring up), that would be fantastic
(March 11, 2014 at 4:54 pm)Jovanian Teapot Wrote: Yeah man, i live in texas.

I know, hence my semi rhetorical question to DT Smile

Intetrsting question whether there can be guidelines... General ones are certainly hard to find
I think NOT being an asshole about it will generally get better results. But hey, that's just me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Militant Atheism? Data 274 10657 September 24, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christianity's Valuable Contributions to Humanity: An Examination of Militant Atheism Nishant Xavier 137 6912 September 8, 2023 at 4:18 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  "All Scientists Should Be Militant Atheists" SmootherPebble 66 15558 September 20, 2015 at 10:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Quiet Atheist vs Militant Atheist z7z 62 11819 May 18, 2015 at 1:32 am
Last Post: abentwookie
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12472 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  My Thoughts On Militant Atheism Celestine 248 46986 September 19, 2014 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: AtheistBuddha
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12150 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  How Should We React When a ‘Militant Atheist’ Beats Up a Pastor? Gooders1002 40 13144 November 5, 2013 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas