Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative Medicine (Hint: This is NOT really medicine)
Alternative Medicine (Hint: This is NOT really medicine)
I'm starting this thread to hopefully spark some meaningful discussion about alternative medicine and the problems that it presents. I haven't looked into the full spectrum of practices (I mainly delved into Applied Kinesiology, NAET, JMT, and Acupuncture, as they snuck their way into my life).

Let me just start by saying that "Alternative Medicine" is a misnomer. It's true that there are two types of medicine: medicine that works, and medicine that does not. My history with alternative medicine and its recent resurgence in my life has fueled long hours of research on my part in order to find out if there is any validity to its claims. The overwhelming lack of evidence found in support alternative medicine efficacy very easily parallels the same lack of evidence that plagues any the theist community. (I digress)

My mother was a believer in Homeopathy, and she subjected myself and my siblings to its nonsense when we were young. I thought I had all but forgotten about this bit of pseudoscience when it popped up again in a place very dear to my heart: my wife.

Here's where things get interesting. When I met her, I didn't realize that she was into any kind of woo. She wasn't a theist, she was generally more rational than myself, and she seemed to know a lot of about food. I took a lot of her claims about herself and her "known" allergies at face value because 1) who am I to question what it is she's allergic to upon meeting her and 2) I didn't know all that much about food allergies and how you test for them, and I didn't really much think to check into it. The allergies she claimed to have were gluten, dairy, and soy. As time went by, I learned to find alternative food choices that were free of any of these big three allergens.

It wasn't until I met her "doctor" that I started to smell a very rotten fish. I should've known better even before I got there because she told me that Dr. Heather Andelora had cured her sister of an allergy to animals (yes, cured!). When we got there, she started the session by asking my wife to raise her arm a little. Dr. Heather would ask her general questions about her health, and, as she answered, the good doc would push down on the arm as she tried to push back to see if the muscles gave at all. I watched in astonishment as she went through a series of questions in order to diagnose the general health of my wife: "How do you feel about Safflower Oil? Tongueush: Hmmm...your muscles weakened. What about yeast? Tongueush: Hmmm...not good either. Tomatoes? Tongueush: Looks like your body is fine with tomatoes right now. Eggs? Tongueush: You should stay away from eggs." It was like I was watching a Fortune Teller practice her craft, reading the spiritual energies present in the room.

I was speechless and kept my opinions to myself for the moment because my wife had seen Dr. Heather for years now, and I didn't want to rock the boat so soon, especially without any evidence (although, in this case, seeing was probably enough).

I came to find out that Dr. Heather practices NAET, which is a very, very unscientific way of treating allergies with acupuncture, and JMT, similar to but sillier than NAET. The process of diagnosing these "allergies" was done via Applied Kinesiology, or Manual Muscle Testing, and is performed more or less the same as I described it above when Dr. Heather was pushing on my wife's arm. It has long since been debunked, and the experts say that "the use of Applied Kinesiology to evaluate nutrient status is no more useful than random guessing" per a double blind study accomplished as far back as 1988 by the ALTA Foundation for Sports Medicine Research in Santa Monica, CA, published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

My studies have produced results. My wife no longer believes she is allergic to gluten, dairy, or soy (even though she still has strong reservations to the three thanks to tampering with her mind and emotions by these quacks). She has agreed to get real testing done to be certain, but she's already started consuming these foods again in small quantities and, guess what? She feels just fine. Smile

tl;dr version

Alternative Medicine is a pseudoscience as many of you are undoubtedly well aware. I've only just scratched the surface of this quackery and the scammy nature of those that practice it (man, don't even get me started on NAET, as that's the one that gets me fired up the most). Does anyone have any other experiences or stories to share? Any other words of wisdom to warn others away from this junk and to partake in actual, scientifically valid medical practices?
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
RE: Alternative Medicine (Hint: This is NOT really medicine)
Where I am I have a nurse who swears by acupuncture and, in particular chiropractors as alternative medicines.

Personally I'm open to further study of the two but I don't recommend people try either. There's a chiropractor's office not far from where I live and I'm amazed by the number of people who go to them (and the amount they charge).

I alway suggest people go and see actual doctors.

Don't even get me started on homeopathy and aromatherapy.
Dying to live, living to die.
Moved thread to Scepticism and Pseudoscience.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

The only good from 'Aromatherapy' is to relax. In a bath. Preferably a Spa bath. Like the one I have at home. With a glass of wine.

Also it has spawned the 'Room deodoriser' industry.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 11, 2014 at 8:38 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: The only good from 'Aromatherapy' is to relax. In a bath. Preferably a Spa bath. Like the one I have at home. With a glass of wine.

Also it has spawned the 'Room deodoriser' industry.

I agree completely about relaxing in a hot bath.

Cool Shades
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 11, 2014 at 8:33 pm)Beccs Wrote: Don't even get me started on homeopathy and aromatherapy.

[Image: popcorn-02-stephen-colbert.gif]

My ex-wife (don't worry, I'm not talking about the one in the story) actually swore by aromatherapy, but I took everything she said with a grain of salt. She really didn't understand much of anything, to be honest, and since it was generally harmless crapola, I just rolled with it for the most part.
Currently finding that soy flour seems to be playing havoc with the old GI system. Can't say it is the cause, but will bring my findings up with my doctor went we next meet. And no, she doesn't 'practice' woo.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 11, 2014 at 8:36 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: Moved thread to Scepticism and Pseudoscience.

How in the hell did I miss that...? Thank you, Kay!
(March 11, 2014 at 8:40 pm)Bad Writer Wrote:
(March 11, 2014 at 8:33 pm)Beccs Wrote: Don't even get me started on homeopathy and aromatherapy.

[Image: popcorn-02-stephen-colbert.gif]

My ex-wife (don't worry, I'm not talking about the one in the story) actually swore by aromatherapy, but I took everything she said with a grain of salt. She really didn't understand much of anything, to be honest, and since it was generally harmless crapola, I just rolled with it for the most part.

I do love the smell of Rosemary, Lemons, Basil, and Thyme. But then I seem to have an acute sense of smell.
(March 11, 2014 at 8:41 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Currently finding that soy flour seems to be playing havoc with the old GI system. Can't say it is the cause, but will bring my findings up with my doctor went we next meet. And no, she doesn't 'practice' woo.

I'm pretty sure that soy just fucks with you no matter who you are, but good luck! Apparently, if you are indeed allergic to it, it still takes 100 times more of it than normal allergens to even cause a reaction in you. Start popping that edamame and monitor for hives!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Americans spend $30 billion annually on alternative medicine Fake Messiah 26 4752 November 11, 2016 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas