Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shit day
Shit day
My 16 year old Belgium Shepherd, Naomi, has bone cancer.

She'd started to limp a week or so ago and I noticed a lump this morning on her front leg.

Off to get it x-rayed and my worst fears were confirmed. No sign of secondaries in her lungs but the Vets (2 of them) think its only a matter of time.

Choices are amputation or putting her down. Amputation isn't much of a choice either - they estimate an additional 5 months typically - but that's for 6-8 year old dogs. 1 year survival rates are 11%, 2 year 2.3%.

I just don't think its worth putting her through that - God knows how I am going to tell the wife. MY daughter's been crying and hugging her all afternoon.

Shit day!
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
RE: Shit day
Oh no Max, I am so sorry! It's so hard losing a family member like that, but you're doing the right and responsible thing by not letting her suffer due to sentimentality. Hang in there, love!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Oh no honey I'm so sorry poor puppy!
So sorry, Max. That really sucks.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
It does suck, Max.

But you have to do what's right for the dog. Its a quality of life issue.

Hang in there, man.
Agree with the others, it's a terrible thing to happen but you are making the right decision. Dogs are just so damned awesome.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Sorry to hear that.

It's never easy going through anything like this with a pet.

Hugs for you and your family.
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 12, 2014 at 1:24 pm)max-greece Wrote: My 16 year old Belgium Shepherd, Naomi, has bone cancer.

She'd started to limp a week or so ago and I noticed a lump this morning on her front leg.

Off to get it x-rayed and my worst fears were confirmed. No sign of secondaries in her lungs but the Vets (2 of them) think its only a matter of time.

Choices are amputation or putting her down. Amputation isn't much of a choice either - they estimate an additional 5 months typically - but that's for 6-8 year old dogs. 1 year survival rates are 11%, 2 year 2.3%.

I just don't think its worth putting her through that - God knows how I am going to tell the wife. MY daughter's been crying and hugging her all afternoon.

Shit day!

That is a shit day.....You have my sympathy.

Can't see an appropriate smiley for this, so imagine something that will cheer you up.....here.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Losing a pet is always hard. Hugs.
Losing your pet it traumatic no matter what. I feel for you, and I know you'll get through this. Hang in there, Max.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time for some Halloween shit. brewer 142 5413 November 4, 2023 at 4:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My shit ass job just called me back up CarveTheFive 25 1983 May 9, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  What we really lost in all this shit... Gawdzilla Sama 7 1152 April 20, 2020 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Stupid shit you've seen. Gawdzilla Sama 44 5760 December 26, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The queen doesn't half talk some shit Cod 11 2065 December 26, 2018 at 9:28 am
  I’m too old for this shit! J a c k 42 3055 September 26, 2018 at 10:34 am
  Maybe the Shit should hit the Fan fromdownunder 2 530 September 12, 2018 at 6:03 am
  Well, Stormy...He IS An Old Sack of Shit Minimalist 11 1366 August 28, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  No Shit! Minimalist 10 1202 August 15, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Anybody else overthink the most basic shit? Kookaburra 19 2024 March 22, 2018 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid