Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evil and suffering.
Evil and suffering.
Where do they come from? Who is to blame?
RE: Evil and suffering.
(March 13, 2014 at 6:38 am)tor Wrote: Where do they come from? Who is to blame?

Me

Devil

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Evil comes from evil people.. blame people. . Suffering comes from evil people being evil but not from suffering. .
This world was not designed for us to live in it, let alone happily. This is all you need to know. Concerning evil done by humans, that's just the way we evolved. Look at our next of kin, chimps and bonobos, to see different aspects of our nature expressed. We're unfortunately somewhat on the chimpy side of things...
To add to what Alex said, evil (at least as I define it) is merely one of two other categories all intentions and actions of self-aware beings necessarily fall into; the other two are good and neutral. Actions that lead to greater flourishing and progeny of our species, which also includes bettering all of our actual and potential psychological and physiological states, are described by most thinking beings as "good." Rudimentary examples of how this came to be, in the early development of life, might be the simple mechanistic reactions embodied in the Four Fs that virtually all organisms adhere to--flight, fight, feed, or mate. As animals gradually evolved under the environmental pressures that besieged them, their brains developed the ability to communicate thoughts and in turn, contracts between rivaling tribes became necessary for maximizing their quality of life and most importantly, their offspring. At some point we developed empathy for strangers because we gained the ability to reflect on what it's like to actually be them. Morality is ultimately a product of biology, as Alex said, but it's also a product of the evolution of consciousness and culture.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 13, 2014 at 7:27 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: To add to what Alex said, evil (at least as I define it) is merely one of two other categories all intentions and actions of self-aware beings necessarily fall into; the other two are good and neutral.
You forgot chaotic and lawful.
(March 13, 2014 at 6:38 am)tor Wrote: Where do they come from? Who is to blame?

Evil and suffering...
Suffering comes from the nerves of each individual. Blame it on the machinery we have to perceive the world around us, which also enables us to perceive when we have some damage in our bodies.

Evil comes from people who wish to cause suffering upon others. Those people who create that evil are to blame for it.

There, hope I responded clearly.
/thread!
"Evil" is what the other guy does.
(March 13, 2014 at 8:44 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(March 13, 2014 at 7:27 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: To add to what Alex said, evil (at least as I define it) is merely one of two other categories all intentions and actions of self-aware beings necessarily fall into; the other two are good and neutral.
You forgot chaotic and lawful.

True but broadly speaking I'd say those fall under either "good," "evil," (more correctly, "bad" or "harmful") or "neutral."
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Evil is a concept invented by man. Suffering is an inevitable outcome of our bodily functions reacting badly to outside stimuli.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2394 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3615 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A question on death and suffering. Kookaburra 18 3344 March 19, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68475 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 50990 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 46671 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4619 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1090 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Is knowledge the root of all evil? Won2blv 22 5844 February 18, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Origin of evil Harris 186 22915 September 12, 2016 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Harris