Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear ex-theists
Dear ex-theists
For those of you who used to believe in a deity or subscribe to some kind of religion, what was it, and what was the very first thing that gave you pause? I'm not asking for you to tell your entire deconversion process, as there is a perfectly awesome corner of the forums for that. Just tell us what that first spark of inspiration was that led you away from faith.

Oh, me? I'm an ex-Mormon, and the first big one for me was finding out just by reading through it a few times (while I was a missionary, no less) that the Book of Mormon was more or less a bastardized plagiarism of the Bible. You can probably surmise where things went from there. Cool Shades
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
RE: Dear ex-theists
I was formerly a Christian. I never believed in heaven or hell, at least as it is illustrated in the Bible.
What ultimately caused me to turn the corner was how I couldn't reconcile Genesis with what I knew was true of science. And then, when it became acceptable to view Genesis as metaphorical in nature, when up until Charles Darwin arriving on the scene, it was taught as literal -- I realized that the Bible is a lie that has made Christianity a very powerful and wealthy religion.

And I don't believe any religions know the answers to what science doesn't currently know.

Religion is all bunk.
ex-Jehovah's Witness. I can't recall what the exact first thing was, though I can recall being troubled by the case of Judas, the guy who betrays Jesus in the NT. It is the first time that I could not come up with an apologetic defense of god regardless of how much stretching and twisting and "interpreting" I tried to do.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Born catholic...forced to participate in all of their stupid-assed rituals. When I was 11 an incident in a Sunday school class caused me to re-evaluate religious personnel.

It was all downhill from there. It is not a creed which can withstand close study.
(March 13, 2014 at 1:06 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: For those of you who used to believe in a deity or subscribe to some kind of religion, what was it, and what was the very first thing that gave you pause? I'm not asking for you to tell your entire deconversion process, as there is a perfectly awesome corner of the forums for that. Just tell us what that first spark of inspiration was that led you away from faith.

Oh, me? I'm an ex-Mormon, and the first big one for me was finding out just by reading through it a few times (while I was a missionary, no less) that the Book of Mormon was more or less a bastardized plagiarism of the Bible. You can probably surmise where things went from there. Cool Shades

What stopped you just saying "well the bible was sort of right, but the Book of Mormon is a superior version" or something like that to rationalise it?
I was raised with a milquetoast kind of faith in God. I was encouraged to pray from time to time, and even have tried it, but never to any avail. What nailed it for me was thinking about humans as machines. I realized that the evidence says that our memories and personality are generated our brains, and that any notion of afterlife appeared absurd as a consequence. I'm not sure where i got the input, but hearing of cases of mental disability may have been the origin of this line of thought. With this bit gone, the whole god thing just went out of the window, the christian god anyways, and even if there was one, it would not affect me beyond my lifetime. I was about 13. By the time I underwent protestant confirmation and the two years of instruction that go with it, I was already a pretty dyed in the wool atheist.
I was at church and I passed out.. the priest brought me in the back where I woke up with my pants undone. .. ha. J.k. . it was when I actually read the bible..
(March 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm)FreeTony Wrote:
Bad Writer Wrote:I'm an ex-Mormon, and the first big one for me was finding out just by reading through it a few times (while I was a missionary, no less) that the Book of Mormon was more or less a bastardized plagiarism of the Bible. You can probably surmise where things went from there. Cool Shades

What stopped you just saying "well the bible was sort of right, but the Book of Mormon is a superior version" or something like that to rationalise it?

I had already rationalized that the BoM was a piece of elaborate fiction, and Mormons are raised to distrust the Bible and to use the Book of Mormon as its crutch for doctrines that don't make a lot of sense. When the Book of Mormon fell, so did the Bible, in my eyes. My initial justifications for disbelieving evolved over time to what they are now. I'm now of the opinion that the Bible is just as fictitious as the Lord of the Rings.

(March 13, 2014 at 1:36 pm)truthBtold Wrote: I was at church and I passed out.. the priest brought me in the back where I woke up with my pants undone. .. ha. J.k. . it was when I actually read the bible..

Cute. Dodgy

What religion were you?

(March 13, 2014 at 1:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Born catholic...forced to participate in all of their stupid-assed rituals. When I was 11 an incident in a Sunday school class caused me to re-evaluate religious personnel.

It was all downhill from there. It is not a creed which can withstand close study.

Sad

I don't know if I've asked you yet what the "incident" was, but I can think of a few scenarios when we are talking about the Catholic Church, and most of those are unsavory.

On another note, what are your thoughts concerning the new Pope potty-mouth?
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
Probably just reading things in the bible that most people in first world countries would never approve of, and in the end the only explanation is "You have to have faith". We know god's right because the bible says he's always right, so you just have to have faith that what he did was right. I think that's probably a common trigger for people.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 13, 2014 at 1:46 pm)Bad Writer Wrote:
(March 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm)FreeTony Wrote: What stopped you just saying "well the bible was sort of right, but the Book of Mormon is a superior version" or something like that to rationalise it?

I had already rationalized that the BoM was a piece of elaborate fiction, and Mormons are raised to distrust the Bible and to use the Book of Mormon as its crutch for doctrines that don't make a lot of sense. When the Book of Mormon fell, so did the Bible, in my eyes. My initial justifications for disbelieving evolved over time to what they are now. I'm now of the opinion that the Bible is just as fictitious as the Lord of the Rings.

(March 13, 2014 at 1:36 pm)truthBtold Wrote: I was at church and I passed out.. the priest brought me in the back where I woke up with my pants undone. .. ha. J.k. . it was when I actually read the bible..

Cute. Dodgy

What religion were you?

(March 13, 2014 at 1:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Born catholic...forced to participate in all of their stupid-assed rituals. When I was 11 an incident in a Sunday school class caused me to re-evaluate religious personnel.

Sad

I don't know if I've asked you yet what the "incident" was, but I can think of a few scenarios when we are talking about the Catholic Church, and most of those are unsavory.

On another note, what are your thoughts concerning the new Pope potty-mouth?

Catholic. .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God ignoramus 21 6878 June 12, 2017 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Drich
  Dear Resident Theists Longhorn 271 61897 September 8, 2015 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4883 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Dear Religion TubbyTubby 37 8694 January 16, 2015 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8159 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Dear Forum... JesusFreeeek69 53 20666 January 31, 2012 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Mitja
  Dear God: Get the hell out of our schools! DiRNiS 15 6547 May 19, 2011 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla