Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist parenting advice - Church run preschool?
Atheist parenting advice - Church run preschool?
I believe this is my first post here, but I am in need of some parenting advice from some like-minded people.

I am a full-fledged non-believer with two kids (6 and 3). The 6-year-old is in 1st grade, but the 3-year-old is in a 5 day a week day care facility and it is bleeding us dry! $600 a month ($150 a week). My wife grew up in a very faithful house and went to a half-day preschool at the church they attended. It is still highly-regarded as a good, well-rounded preschool that focuses on education instead of babysitting, and 3-days a week is ridiculously cheap. We'd pay less per month than we are paying a week where they go now ($135 a month). And my mother-in-law would pick him up from the school when the half-day is done.

However, the program does put a heavy emphasis on a belief in God and the teachings of Jesus Christ. However, the curriculum does mention inclusion of "secular holidays" in their lessons about social studies. I think it would be a better education regardless of the christian teachings.

Even though it will only be for another 2 years before he starts kindergarten, I'm really worried that the brainwashing will set in that time. My oldest son, who has grown up not knowing anything about religion, except the occasional visit to church functions to appease the in-laws, has already learned a playground version of Christianity from his bible-belt friends at school. He came home asking about God, and when I told him I don't believe in God, he told me that I was going to Hell. Fun times!

Anyway, should I take advantage of the huge savings to my wallet and send son #2 to the church preschool, or keep paying for the non-religious babysitting day care facility?

Thoughts?
Thanks for the input!
RE: Atheist parenting advice - Church run preschool?
Your experience with your older son demonstrates that you cannot hope to protect him from the bad influence of religion in your area. May as well save some money and use the savings to stock up on some good books.

Try this site:

http://www.atheistparents.org/

Click on their recommended books link.
I went to a church-run preschool and honestly, religion was never really brought up, except around Christmas when it was expected for all the kids to participate in the Christmas pageant. I admit that part was a little awkward, because they practiced at the church and I didn't go, so I didn't know any of the songs I was supposed to be singing. I faked my way through it, though, which is a good skill to learn. Wink
Yeah, as far as pre-school curriculum, how intensive could it be? At some point you are going to have to at least introduce your kids to religion. Especially if you live in the Bible Belt. The great importance of Pre-K is beginning to learn how to learn, to build the foundations for those structures in the brain. I cannot remember a single thing from Pre-K at this point in my life, 26 years later. But I am sure that it helped with my success in school later, both socially and educationally. That's what's important, IMO.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I think indoctrinating/brain washing (and from personal experience, there is a good chance of this) is a form of child abuse.

I would stay away.

That being said, when married to my Christian ex and still being a live-and-let-live atheist, all of my kids went to Sunday school, youth programs, teen camps and what not.

Only one appears to have been infected with the Christian mind virus. One the jury is out, the other three are self-professed atheists.

So it didn't work too well.
Wow, that's some pretty quick feedback, and good advice indeed! Minimalist, that's a great website!

My wife wants to teach them to be open minded and not force any belief or lack of belief on them and let them choose for themselves. Some days I have a hard time sticking to that ;-) I keep reminding them how old the earth is and both are nuts about dinosaurs. It takes a HUGE leap of faith to look at dinosaur fossils and think "nope, never happened." ;-)

Thanks for the input!
If the school is regarded as a good one and is cheaper, send your kid there. Even if it is religious. The important thing IMO is to teach your kid critical thinking skills, that way they'll be able to figure it out to be bullshit on their own.
(March 13, 2014 at 2:03 pm)EvolvedKnight Wrote: Wow, that's some pretty quick feedback, and good advice indeed! Minimalist, that's a great website!

My wife wants to teach them to be open minded and not force any belief or lack of belief on them and let them choose for themselves. Some days I have a hard time sticking to that ;-) I keep reminding them how old the earth is and both are nuts about dinosaurs. It takes a HUGE leap of faith to look at dinosaur fossils and think "nope, never happened." ;-)

Thanks for the input!
The more informed your kids are about world religions and philosophies, the more difficult it will be for the Christian majority to indoctrinate them. If you push your own ideas on them too hard, you run the risk of alienating them.
I think if there ever was a time to spend your money, keeping your kid out of a religious school is it. I just visited a preschool for my son, and even though it's not religious, it is located in the basement of a church. Even that bothered me a little bit. I take filling my son's head with bullshit very seriously.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:It takes a HUGE leap of faith to look at dinosaur fossils and think "nope, never happened." ;-)

Yes..."leaps of faith" can convince these jackasses that this guy...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqRVIoN-rX0mZjggfrQ6s...cSr5MLUUr6]

used those teeth to hunt carrots!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice needed MikeGian1984 20 2588 November 19, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Long term advice when debating theists. Brian37 33 6918 May 6, 2015 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Video Christian Parenting Guide Mental Outlaw 3 975 February 8, 2015 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Advice For Those Who Have 'Questions For Atheists' BrianSoddingBoru4 26 7155 February 6, 2014 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Some Advice needed from real people themonkeyman 32 11094 August 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Atheist on the Black Church vs Gay Rights Cholley71 73 20178 June 8, 2013 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Savannahw
  More Adventures in Secular Parenting Erinome 16 2745 November 10, 2011 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Erinome