Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concerned About Atheisim
Concerned About Atheisim
Will atheism one day in the future become like a religion, with its dogma, and fundamentalism belief system ?. Myself I simply don't have a belief in any god, or god's, but I don't call myself an atheist, I don't blindly believe everything that science says, I am a free thinker.

I do agree that its great that so called atheist do keep a balance with religion, after all who is going to keep them honest, but like all belief systems they eventually try to take over, or put themselves above all else.

I might be wrong, but I do feel that atheist are becoming arrogant in their beliefs, it could be that their beliefs in science makes them feel as if they can never be wrong.

I just hope this is not the case, I do like the atheist way of thinking more than the religious way of thinking, but I just hope we are not getting rid of one monster to be replaced with another.

On my part this is not a debate but a simple question, thank you.
RE: Concerned About Atheisim
(March 13, 2014 at 9:49 pm)psychoslice Wrote: Will atheism one day in the future become like a religion, with its dogma, and fundamentalism belief system ?. Myself I simply don't have a belief in any god, or god's, but I don't call myself an atheist, I don't blindly believe everything that science says, I am a free thinker.

I do agree that its great that so called atheist do keep a balance with religion, after all who is going to keep them honest, but like all belief systems they eventually try to take over, or put themselves above all else.

I might be wrong, but I do feel that atheist are becoming arrogant in their beliefs, it could be that their beliefs in science makes them feel as if they can never be wrong.

I just hope this is not the case, I do like the atheist way of thinking more than the religious way of thinking, but I just hope we are not getting rid of one monster to be replaced with another.

Some may turn it into that - the atheist "church" to me is a step in the right direction with one major error: Calling it a "church" and holding it on sunday as an alternative to church.

Where we're going the right way is forming a community, something that many former theists have said they miss. Church does create a sense of community.

Fortunately there are more of those communities forming worldwide and reaching out to other non-believers.

Religion is on its way out in Western nations, and many of the religious are fighting kicking and screaming to resist.
Dying to live, living to die.
It looks like ur an atheist.. u dont believe in god/s.. its not the atheist that looks arrogant.. its the person.. and atheist dont believe in science.. theres no need for belief for that.. it just science. .
(March 13, 2014 at 9:49 pm)psychoslice Wrote: Will atheism one day in the future become like a religion, with its dogma, and fundamentalism belief system ?. Myself I simply don't have a belief in any god, or god's, but I don't call myself an atheist, I don't blindly believe everything that science says, I am a free thinker.

You don't blindly believe everything that science says.. because you're a free thinker? Uh, free thinkers follow science.. sorry.
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.
(March 13, 2014 at 9:49 pm)psychoslice Wrote: I just hope this is not the case, I do like the atheist way of thinking more than the religious way of thinking, but I just hope we are not getting rid of one monster to be replaced with another.

The desire to impose ones world view on others is a monster that will never go away. People who are militant atheists would be militant something else if they were not atheists.

(March 13, 2014 at 9:57 pm)heathendegenerate Wrote: You don't blindly believe everything that science says.. because you're a free thinker? Uh, free thinkers follow science.. sorry.

A free thinker questions everything...including science
The reason to think science is correct is because of the way science works. It doesn't start with an assumption and then try to support that assumption. Instead, it starts with a question and tries to answer that question, with available observable data. Science is also constantly self-correcting as new data becomes available. Simply put, science works. The thing is that you have to be aware of how science works in order to weed out psuedoscience, hoaxes, corruption, etc.

Atheism itself cannot be a religion, because atheism simply describes a lack of belief in God. Something like Secular Humanism, however, might.
(March 13, 2014 at 9:54 pm)Beccs Wrote:

Some may turn it into that - the atheist "church" to me is a step in the right direction with one major error: Calling it a "church" and holding it on sunday as an alternative to church.

Where we're going the right way is forming a community, something that many former theists have said they miss. Church does create a sense of community.

Fortunately there are more of those communities forming worldwide and reaching out to other non-believers.

Religion is on its way out in Western nations, and many of the religious are fighting kicking and screaming to resist.

Yea I don't like the idea of calling an atheist gathering a church, it just sounds hypocritical. Yes I suppose that is true that no matter who we are we all still like to commune with each other, be that is sports or anything really

(March 13, 2014 at 9:56 pm)truthBtold Wrote: It looks like ur an atheist.. u dont believe in god/s.. its not the atheist that looks arrogant.. its the person.. and atheist dont believe in science.. theres no need for belief for that.. it just science. .

Yes I do agree, but it does seem they like to push science down everyone's throat, as if one cannot argue after that.

(March 13, 2014 at 9:57 pm)heathendegenerate Wrote:

You don't blindly believe everything that science says.. because you're a free thinker? Uh, free thinkers follow science.. sorry.

But still, science cannot be totally right with everything they say, well I cannot believe that. Of course science has a lot of truth, but they are not the owners of all truth.

People who believe in a god don't need to follow any particular 'religion,' per se. So, likewise, stands to reason, that there will be atheists/agnotsics who may take their views, and preach against religion, like you say...creating sort of a ''counter religion'' to religion. And there will be atheists who don't.

Much will be contingent too on how far religion pushes things in the secular / government arena. If religion keeps trying to veto secular progress, then I can see more of a united front/uprising from atheists/agnostics, in order to keep that from happening. Which would be understandable.
(March 13, 2014 at 10:07 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(March 13, 2014 at 9:49 pm)psychoslice Wrote: I just hope this is not the case, I do like the atheist way of thinking more than the religious way of thinking, but I just hope we are not getting rid of one monster to be replaced with another.

The desire to impose ones world view on others is a monster that will never go away. People who are militant atheists would be militant something else if they were not atheists.

(March 13, 2014 at 9:57 pm)heathendegenerate Wrote: You don't blindly believe everything that science says.. because you're a free thinker? Uh, free thinkers follow science.. sorry.

A free thinker questions everything...including science

I totally agree with what you said.

(March 13, 2014 at 10:18 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: The reason to think science is correct is because of the way science works. It doesn't start with an assumption and then try to support that assumption. Instead, it starts with a question and tries to answer that question, with available observable data. Science is also constantly self-correcting as new data becomes available. Simply put, science works. The thing is that you have to be aware of how science works in order to weed out psuedoscience, hoaxes, corruption, etc.

Atheism itself cannot be a religion, because atheism simply describes a lack of belief in God. Something like Secular Humanism, however, might.

Yes I certainly have a lot of respect for most of science, but even in science there is division in agreement and I suppose that is a healthy way to be. Its like the climate change thing going on, there are plenty of science who don't believe what the other side believes, and this can be very confusing to the public.
(March 13, 2014 at 10:22 pm)psychoslice Wrote: But still, science cannot be totally right with everything they say, well I cannot believe that. Of course science has a lot of truth, but they are not the owners of all truth.

True. But, science is the revealer or discoverer, of truth.