Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having trouble shaking previous beliefs
Having trouble shaking previous beliefs
So I know that what I used to believe as true (religion) is not true. A Richard Dawkins quote comes to mind "We are all atheists of most of the worlds religions, some of us just go one more", or at least something similar. I'm having trouble letting go completely of that 'one more' god. I understand why. I was psychologically conditioned from a young age through various sources to believe in god. I was manipulated.

Okay...so I know that the belief is false, but why can't I shake it completely? Why do I still feel compelled to make bargains with god to help things go right when I know there is no god? Why do I still sometimes fear even thinking "There is no God"? Why do I still call out to him when I am in a time of distress? Why do I worry about hell? I would like to be free from this (especially the fears of hell because that's in particular distressing...especially since I don't rationally believe in a hell...errrrrrrrr). Is it simply a matter of reconditioning myself like I was conditioned when I was young? Can I just consciously free myself from these thinking patterns?

My training from school says yes, by all means; but then why do I struggle with it so much? My gosh it's frustrating. Any advice? How did you handle this if you came from a religion? I'm going crazy honestly (which I guess isn't that hard for me to do lol). I kick myself every time I catch myself making some sort of plea to god. Does this get easier with time?

lol...doesn't this post just seep with frustration?? I sure hope so! Tongue
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
RE: Having trouble shaking previous beliefs
The problem you're having is probably that religion creates a person's entire worldview, and is strongly embedded in our culture, and comes with habits/rituals. In some ways, becoming an atheist is like moving to an entirely different country. It takes a while for your mind to adjust.
Honestly yeah I think that could be a huge part of it. It feels like I'm giving up a huge part of myself, but it's a part of myself that I wouldn't like to keep around anyway...so you'd think it would be easy to give up :\
It did get easier for me, when I finally came to term with being an atheist. However, the last half year being a Christian/pantheist, I thought a lot about it, so I didn't have to do it after losing my faith. When you come to the realization that nothing in your life has really changed while not beliving in a deity, how ridiculous the concept of hell is and how utterly full of shit the "holy" scriptures are, that's the day you don't fret about gods anymore. Unfortunately this realization has to come from within, but have patience, with your excellent attitude, I'm sure that you will reach the point Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

It does indeed get easier with time. Change is always difficult, I don't care who says otherwise. Give yourself time, as there's really no need to rush anything. Your foundation was built on that religion after all, and now that it's been torn down, it will still take a while for you to rebuild your worldview.
I was reading another thread in the converts section (or whatever it's called in the introductions sub forum Tongue) and I happened to notice quite a few others had similar advice. I sure hope it gets easier to ditch this all at some point because right now it just makes me feel very foolish. I'm hoping if I approach it simply as the behaviour that it is I can change it with CBT like most behaviours. I just need to start I guess, but that's where that initial tinge of fear sometimes (not always..I almost said thank god..err frustrating lol) comes into play. I get this OH NO DON"T THINK THAT THOUGHT YOU'LL GO TO HELL OH NOES feeling when I know rationally it's not going to happen. Blah....I'll take all your guys/gals advice, and stick with it. Fingers crossed it gets easier soon...I've got finals coming up, and I better not find myself praying for good results! Tongue
you've created habits through years and years of practice. It takes time to get away from the god delusion when your habits always point back to jebus ideology. Give it time and soon enough you'll be jebus free. Just remember, no matter how initially shocking it is, you're on your own. It's survival of the fittest; now you're not playing a game. Now you're in the real world, where stupidity has out-lasted science. Science has completely destroyed EVERY religion on earth. Still, religion controls the government, it controls the rights of people, and it 's somehow in the lead when it's so far behind. Don't expect a common-sense revolution.
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There are no "isms" just beliefs and positions. Brian37 14 1203 September 1, 2021 at 5:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15684 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2657 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7053 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Atheist hate having to constantly repeat this.... Brian37 33 6763 October 16, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4478 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Insane atheists ranting and having emotional breakdowns Theismisgreat 100 11311 August 2, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Beliefs, Significant Others and Compromises Bob Kelso 20 4893 September 6, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9164 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Ended up having to get fit and then your reggiechasteen 1 957 May 8, 2015 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Cyberman