Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is college worth it anymore
is college worth it anymore
well is it????
RE: is college worth it anymore
Typically, the difference between a college education and a high school one is about $500,000 over a person's lifetime, so I would have to say yes.
It depends what you want to do with your life. I went to college simply because it's what you are supposed to do after high school. I majored in history just because I didn't really know what else to do. Basically for me and for what I am doing now, College was a huge waste of time.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
It honestly depends upon what you decide to study. A liberal arts degree will not guarantee a successful future career, and in most cases even a Master's Degree will not guarantee a great job. If you do not care about a future career, and just want to learn, then the only obstacle to worry about would be the cost of the education. Is college a sinkhole toward debt? Yes, without a doubt.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 15, 2014 at 2:03 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Typically, the difference between a college education and a high school one is about $500,000 over a person's lifetime, so I would have to say yes.

So if you value your life based entirely on your lifetime net income, then yes. If you want to actually live your life and not be forced into the work place immediately because of student loan debt, then no.
(March 15, 2014 at 2:03 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Typically, the difference between a college education and a high school one is about $500,000 over a person's lifetime, so I would have to say yes.

i think humanities are cool but ive said this before how many people acutally become paleontologists. And sure you earn more but how much debt are you taking out......
(March 15, 2014 at 2:08 pm)jimmyk2190 Wrote:

i think humanities are cool but ive said this before how many people acutally become paleontologists. And sure you earn more but how much debt are you taking out......

Also to consider about that debt is the time in your life that you are giving up. College is a lot of work and when you are in it you can do very little else except in the summers. 18-22 to get a bachelors degree and perhaps a decade of work to pay off your loans. That means you'll be 30 before you are free to do what you want.
(March 15, 2014 at 2:17 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(March 15, 2014 at 2:08 pm)jimmyk2190 Wrote: i think humanities are cool but ive said this before how many people acutally become paleontologists. And sure you earn more but how much debt are you taking out......

Also to consider about that debt is the time in your life that you are giving up. College is a lot of work and when you are in it you can do very little else except in the summers. 18-22 to get a bachelors degree and perhaps a decade of work to pay off your loans. That means you'll be 30 before you are free to do what you want.
right and the few degrees such a doctor lawyer and engineer are pursued simply for the sake of social prestige and money and take along time and rarely are obtained for the sake of social welfare

(March 15, 2014 at 2:17 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(March 15, 2014 at 2:08 pm)jimmyk2190 Wrote: i think humanities are cool but ive said this before how many people acutally become paleontologists. And sure you earn more but how much debt are you taking out......

i also find that i college you simply debate hypothetical senarios that are little use in the real world except if you have kids and they need help in school
I'm at university right now. Honestly I really don't think the past 3 years of my life have been worth it. I've learnt relatively little about my subject and virtually nothing about it being used in the real world. I don't feel prepared for a job, my university hasn't really done anything to help me get one, and looking at some of the people I'm actually working with at uni, I question just how smart you really have to be to be accepted for the course in the first place. My sentiments are echoed by pretty much everyone I know at my university. I'd say it might be because I'm at a shit uni, but apparently we are in the top 5 in the country in terms of employability after finishing the degree.
It doesn't even matter what you get a degree in. Employers rarely even ask IME. Just get a degree in something and that alone opens a lot of doors to a better life.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Petition to abolish the Electoral College Foxaèr 44 1746 October 19, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Electoral College DeistPaladin 43 3043 September 21, 2020 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Mob Mentality and Electoral College eliwhitneyIII 8 657 May 11, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Worth The Read. Minimalist 12 903 July 5, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I'm done. I'm just done. I really can't take it anymore NuclearEnergy 31 8710 June 29, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  So was it worth it Republicans? NuclearEnergy 5 814 April 26, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Is it really worth it for Republicans NuclearEnergy 25 3603 April 20, 2017 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: Lek
  I really don't know what to think anymore NuclearEnergy 10 2488 February 15, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  So Drumpfucks.... Is It Worth A War? Minimalist 30 3352 January 19, 2017 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  End the Electoral College? chimp3 60 9075 December 8, 2016 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye