Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sponsers remove themselves from St. Patty parade
Sponsers remove themselves from St. Patty parade
Quote:St. Patrick’s Day celebrations kicked off across the country this morning, but New York City’s festivities went ahead with the notable absence of iconic Irish beer maker Guinness, which withdrew its sponsorship from the parade.

Controversy has swirled around this year’s Irish holiday festivities in the Northeast, where a number of key sponsors have opted out after organizers barred LGBT participants from openly marching and carrying pro-gay signs.

Guinness, which had been the last remaining major beer sponsor to hold out, announced this weekend that it was pulling out of its sponsorship deal, saying:

“Guinness has a strong history of supporting diversity and being an advocate for equality for all. We were hopeful that the policy of exclusion would be reversed for this year’s parade. As this has not come to pass, Guinness has withdrawn its participation. We will continue to work with community leaders to ensure that future parades have an inclusionary policy.”

The move came after Boston Beer Co., which owns the Sam Adams brand, cut ties with the Boston parade and Heineken announced Friday it would also withdraw support.

Political tensions have been building in New York since Mayor Bill de Blasio chose to become the first mayor in decades to shun the parade over gay rights issues, while Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh declared he would not partake in his city's Irish day celebrations Sunday for the same reason.

The decision by the companies to withdraw participation from the parades drew strong support from gay rights advocacy groups including New York City-based organization Irish Queers and GLAAD.

"Guinness sent a strong message to its customers and employees: discrimination should never be celebrated," GLAAD CEO & President Sarah Kate Ellis said in a statement Sunday. "As a gay mom who has fond memories of the New York City St. Patrick's Day Parade, it saddens me that I can't give those same memories to my own kids because my family isn't welcome.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/parades-march-g...d=22939451
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Sponsers remove themselves from St. Patty parade
I'll drink to that!
Note to self: Pick up a six pack of Guinness on the way home.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Right on!
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I thought New York was one of the more progressive places. I didn't expect to hear something like this from up there, but we'll see how they like it with the sponsors gone.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

REAL St. Patty's day beer isn't green, it's black!

[Image: guiness_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a44b86d2e9c...13005fe067]
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Samuel Adams Cream Stout! Yum.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AGW protesters glue themselves to gov energy department (UK) Duty 24 2330 February 17, 2019 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Duty
  SCOTUS Tells Anti-Abortion Nuts To Go Fuck Themselves Minimalist 294 25268 April 11, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  How is a Halloween Parade Not "Inclusive", please explain Neo-Scholastic 25 2705 October 30, 2017 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Supreme Court Tells NC Republicunts to Go Fuck Themselves Minimalist 0 627 May 15, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist