Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern philosophy and ancient religion
Modern philosophy and ancient religion
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Qualia is another name for soul.

Subconscious is another name for god.

Scientists can’t measure qualia or the subconscious so they deny them.
RE: Modern philosophy and ancient religion
(March 19, 2014 at 9:05 am)kalicarmas Wrote: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

I can tell you another name for the material you are shovelling...
(March 19, 2014 at 9:05 am)kalicarmas Wrote: Qualia is another name for soul.
No it's not.
Quote:Subconscious is another name for god.
No, it's not.
Quote:Scientists can’t measure qualia or the subconscious so they deny them.
Actually it's 'soul' and 'god' to which this statement applies, accurately. As for 'subconscious' and 'qualia', those who study them can define and observe a surprising amount in their regard.

You don't get to misdefine words so that they fit your warped perceptions. That you try to propagate this nonsense confirms that you are trying to mislead people, willfully and with premeditation.
Sum ergo sum
Science, physics, or physicalism is a philosophy or faith where you believe everything is physical including mind and subconscious.

Some counter philosophies are Dualism, Subjectivism, Solipsism, and Empiricism as opposed to Rationalism.
(March 19, 2014 at 1:46 pm)kalicarmas Wrote: Science, physics, or physicalism is a philosophy or faith where you believe everything is physical including mind and subconscious.

Things that can be observed (and tested) to manifest in reality, do not require faith.

There is a difference between methodological naturalism and philosophical naturalism.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
science ignores the soul, because they want an answer(and if god exists...It is on mute). You can only test how diluded religious people seem.. and how stupid their books are.
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.
(March 19, 2014 at 2:15 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(March 19, 2014 at 1:46 pm)kalicarmas Wrote: Science, physics, or physicalism is a philosophy or faith where you believe everything is physical including mind and subconscious.

Things that can be observed (and tested) to manifest in reality, do not require faith.

There is a difference between methodological naturalism and philosophical naturalism.

Let’s say you look at the sun to get an after image or red dot in your mind.

What is evident is the red dot so if you were an Empiricist you’d say “I observe a red dot.”

However modern scientists are more like consensus-reality Rationalists so they deny the dot and say it is just the physical brain.

You can see why Descartes said there are 2 things because he can see the red dot and his own hand at the same time, that’s Mind and Body.

However I am saying there are 3 things Body, Mind, and Submind.
Oh, great. Another one whose religion is just one big equivocation.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I can use Google too. However, one must know what these terms actually mean before you make yourself look stupid.
(March 19, 2014 at 9:05 am)kalicarmas Wrote: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Is a coffee cup still a coffee cup without the coffee??

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5564 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1432 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3608 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Modern firearms and the collapse of heroism Loaded dice 32 2348 July 10, 2023 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1610 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13018 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2642 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4935 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8271 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12045 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy