Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claiming god is perfect
Claiming god is perfect
People back then probably thought that this was the absolute best thing to do. My god is better than your god, so you'd better do what my god says. In fact, it's the worst thing they could have done. Claiming he's perfect, all knowing, all present, and such actually demands that he be held to a higher standard than anything else. It means we can't cut him any slack for things we disagree with in the bible.

I can go on about how bad Yahweh is, especially in the old testament, but that's mostly because people today believe that he's some perfect paragon of virtue. If he was just some guy that wasn't all powerful, and nobody thought he was perfect, and that Satan was just as powerful as he was, it would help explain some things and at least help me sympathize with him more.

Jesus was a notably humble person, and if the followers kept up with that humbleness, then it would help wash away mistakes that many modern people notice. Many outdated morals, actions, and commandments. Saying he's the infallible, unchanging, perfect deity just makes the bad parts stand out more, and we can't just say well he made a mistake and he apologized for it, and he's trying to do better, but the evil in the world is a tough burden to bare. We can't say he's under a lot of stress because he's supposedly all powerful. We can't say he has trouble communicating and getting to all our problems because he's supposedly all present. We can't say he just didn't know any better because he's supposedly all knowing.

Bottom line I guess is that the higher a pedestal you put something, the more likely it is to fall, and limitless perfection is probably not the pedestal anyone should put anything. It leaves no room for error, and many people can see many errors in the bible. That was probably the biggest mistake in the whole religion.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Claiming god is perfect
While it wouldn't change my mind on things, as it's not evidence, if Jews and Christians had admitted their god was learning and kind of a capricious douchenozzle then I would have more respect... But only a little.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
Aside from the contradiction of having an all-perfect god that does hypocritical, unethical things, creating an omnipotent, omniscient god was a wrong move, too. I mean, people would have no free will in that case, and so this creator god is literally creating new people knowing what they're going to do, including going to hell. So, when Christians tell me, "You're going to go to hell", I respond with, "Your god made me this way, apparently. Talk to him about it."
[Image: ferns500x125_zps9511e564.jpg]
The impression I get isn't that the OT writers saw god as omni-anything. He was just the toughest bastard on the block. They seem to write about him as if he were a bully, who picks a nation for his own and either promises to kick their enemies' asses (if his chosen people are loyal) or promises to kick their asses (if they aren't loyal enough). But that seems to be the way it was at the time: with no actual gods showing up to do anything at all, a nation could attribute its victories to "our god was better than yours" or attribute its losses to "our god punished us for not worshiping him enough." Note that there was never a time when they were going to admit that "your god was the better god."

Over time the character is bound to become tougher because no one wants to walk back a positive claim. If a writer decided that Yahweh was powerful enough to lift two heavy boulders, then the next writer would have to tell the story of how he juggled three of them. And the next writer tells us that he juggled three of them while killing aliens with his laser-beam eyes. And so on. Before long he's omni-this and omni-that and the only ass he can't kick is his own, but only because he doesn't really want to.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 19, 2014 at 9:45 am)Aral Gamelon Wrote: While it wouldn't change my mind on things, as it's not evidence, if Jews and Christians had admitted their god was learning and kind of a capricious douchenozzle then I would have more respect... But only a little.

Yeah, not saying I would worship him if it was stated that he wasn't perfect and all powerful and stuff, but I wouldn't bash him as much. If Jesus said that the things in the old testament were wrong, and his dad apologized, and he wanted to start over without killing practically everyone first, then I wouldn't harp on the old testament nearly as much. That's still a ways away from worshiping him, but it's a step in the right direction.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...

(March 19, 2014 at 9:49 am)Tonus Wrote: The impression I get isn't that the OT writers saw god as omni-anything. He was just the toughest bastard on the block. They seem to write about him as if he were a bully, who picks a nation for his own and either promises to kick their enemies' asses (if his chosen people are loyal) or promises to kick their asses (if they aren't loyal enough). But that seems to be the way it was at the time: with no actual gods showing up to do anything at all, a nation could attribute its victories to "our god was better than yours" or attribute its losses to "our god punished us for not worshiping him enough." Note that there was never a time when they were going to admit that "your god was the better god."

Over time the character is bound to become tougher because no one wants to walk back a positive claim. If a writer decided that Yahweh was powerful enough to lift two heavy boulders, then the next writer would have to tell the story of how he juggled three of them. And the next writer tells us that he juggled three of them while killing aliens with his laser-beam eyes. And so on. Before long he's omni-this and omni-that and the only ass he can't kick is his own, but only because he doesn't really want to.

Lmao. I think that is a perfect description of how religion evolved over time. There was no burning lake of fire in the Old Testament, was there? But now there is....so, you better not piss off that god!
[Image: ferns500x125_zps9511e564.jpg]
Perfection or Kamal/كمال is very vital as an attribute of god. Perfection is the ability to either fulfill a desired purpose or be able to counter any possible opposition in the self. God is perfect in some cases because it has no definable qualities and is a total of anything. So in this point of view God is perfect because the label cannot be applied to something without natural existence.
Perfection is a word that only exists because of the inability to fulfill a desire or handle an issue.
[Image: tumblr_n8f4c0zuQE1twxzjco1_1280.png]
There have been lots of gods that people worshiped, and perfection doesn't seem to be a necessary part of them. Yahweh has not been able to fulfill the desired purpose of getting all of his creation to worship him. Now I don't know about being able to counter any possible opposition in the self, since I don't think that's testable.

(March 19, 2014 at 2:20 pm)Chad32 Wrote: There have been lots of gods that people worshiped, and perfection doesn't seem to be a necessary part of them. Yahweh has not been able to fulfill the desired purpose of getting all of his creation to worship him. Now I don't know about being able to counter any possible opposition in the self, since I don't think that's testable.

Well this all goes back to ignosticism and the fact that as human beings we have endured theological evolution. We kept up scaling the qualities of god till we have what we have no. From materialistic animism to monotheistic divine supremacy. At one point theocide was common now we have unending deities who surpass the natural universe
[Image: tumblr_n8f4c0zuQE1twxzjco1_1280.png]
(March 19, 2014 at 9:41 am)Chad32 Wrote: People back then probably thought that this was the absolute best thing to do. My god is better than your god, so you'd better do what my god says. In fact, it's the worst thing they could have done. Claiming he's perfect, all knowing, all present, and such actually demands that he be held to a higher standard than anything else. It means we can't cut him any slack for things we disagree with in the bible.
No, it means that we can't cut ourselves any slack for things we disagree with.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17007 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Imperfect perfect Trinity Alex K 8 959 December 14, 2019 at 9:20 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  We are God's perfect imperfection. ignoramus 54 14617 July 9, 2017 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63228 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why would a perfect being make an imperfect world? Socrates 138 31009 February 25, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  The Perfect Religious Doctrine The Reality Salesman01 41 6752 May 15, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Argument from perfect preservation Psychonaut 8 3804 August 9, 2015 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  This Is Perfect. Minimalist 14 5109 November 22, 2014 at 11:56 am
Last Post: dyresand
  How is the Bible/Quran a "perfect book" ? Rwandrall 14 5802 November 5, 2014 at 6:27 am
Last Post: Nintentacle
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19378 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie