Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple and the law
Apple and the law
Just watched The Checkout - I've been critical of Apple for many years, the company in my opinion is rotten to the core, and The Checkout highlighted a recent court ruling forcing Apple to acknowledge consumer rights; however even so they've still got it wrong:
  1. Consumer rights summed up here (ACCC).
  2. Court ruling against Apple, here (ACCC).
  3. Apple given a very small fine in 2012 for lying about the iPad being 4G compatible, here (ACCC). This ruling also forced them accept refunds from customers.
  4. Here's a media report on that issue - Telstra and Telstra customers were both furious that Apple was marketing a device as 4G compatible, when it was unable to connect to the only 4G network in Australia at the time (Telstra's network that is). But even if it wasn't the only 4G network, it'd still be a lie - 4G compatible means compatible with all 4G services, it doesn't mean "incompatible with some 4G services"!
  5. They avoid paying Australian company tax (and US tax).
  6. Finally, here is Apple's website that shows they still do not understand Australian consumer law. Despite the court ruling they're still getting it wrong.
What's the issue? They claim consumers must contact the retailer to make a claim. This is wrong! Look at the first link I gave you, it clearly gives consumers the option to go straight to the manufacturer if the problem is not with the retailer. That Apple is claiming otherwise is an outright lie, and I cannot believe they still think that lying is acceptable. Perhaps while they're at it they could let consumers know about their rights re: Jailbraking, because jailbreaking will void the Apple Warranties but certainly not the consumer rights (/statutory warranty). And if they had any decency at all they'd change their policy to be: "Jailbreaking does not void warranty unless the problem with the device is directly related to Jailbreaking".

FYI, why on earth Apple thinks it's in their interests to deny consumers their rights in the first place is beyond me, they now have permanent publicity like this all over the Whirlppol forums that will never be erased, and consumers will be reading and judging them on for many many years to come. I simply do not understand the logic.

I also found another difference. The Australian Consumer Law as it stands is fairly recent and hasn't yet been fully tested, however nowhere does it specifically exclude rights after a product is re-sold, thus you would expect to have some of your rights under the Australian consumer guarantees to automatically transfer. AppleCare, according to it's T's&C's can be transferred only once, and it isn't automatic!

I remember back to the days of Laptops, I was a member of an internet forum with selling and trading. Every so often you'd have someone come on and claim they had laptops for sale, but no warranty. It would be pointed out to them that every Laptop in Australia came with fully transferable warranties, and every warranty was for at least 2 years, so why did they not have warranties? The obvious answer of course - stolen goods. Dell, IBM, etc, all offered these as standard product warranties (I'd expect they probably still do). The fact that more than 10 years on that Apple doesn't even provide a fully transferable premium warranty is completely bizarre.

Consumers expect better and deserve better.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Apple and the law
Too bad you don't apply the same reasoning to people that are fucked over by nature and the God that created the situation.
RE: Apple and the law
And FYI, here are some more horror stories on Whirlpool...
  • Link - Both BigW and Apple are fully at fault.
  • Link - Consumer wrongly told he has to pay for a repair due to a manufacturing defect (he does not, Apple must fix it).
  • Link - Consumer requests that apple returns the failed HDD after repairing the unit for secure destruction of sensitive information, and Apple refuses.
  • Link - Apple tells consumer he isn't entitled to warranty because the product has been modified (even if this is true for the Apple warranty it is not true for the consumer guarantee and Apple is still obligated to fix a manufacturing defect).
  • Link
FYI I'm not the only one who'll "Whirlpool It" before I buy it, so I think Apple should start paying attention.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1160 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Please help me understand this Indian "law" Alexmahone 18 2405 July 25, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Some advice on how to deal with a "interesting" brother in law NuclearEnergy 21 5652 July 3, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Help with apple product - Ipod nano 7th generation Dystopia 2 1110 August 25, 2014 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Endo
  Do you know about apple trees? Losty 18 2294 August 6, 2014 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Zack
  Marijuana and the law Ryantology 102 17189 September 28, 2013 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Walking Void
  Russia: MP calls for law allowing gays to be whipped in public squares Gooders1002 14 3879 August 9, 2013 at 11:54 am
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  Can somebody who knows UK Business law help me? Gooders1002 7 1673 December 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Words, and law and idiots. Brian37 24 8915 June 17, 2012 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Hope law system improves zentor 3 1397 April 23, 2012 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Violet