Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do non-fundamentalist Christians actually believe?
Ok, so this is probably the wrong place to ask this. I should probably go to a Christian forum. But I'm already here, and it's something I've wondered for a while, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Before you answer, let me clarify the question a little. When I say "non-fundamentalist", I'm ruling out those who believe the Bible is literally true from cover to cover. That hopefully rules out the young Earth creationists and science deniers, among others. But according to polls, those literalists are less than half of all Christians, so I'm trying to understand the other half better. I'm also not talking about the "not really religious" types who haven't thought about it at all.

It's the devout Christians who don't believe that the Bible is literal truth who I don't understand. Do they believe that any of the Bible is true? Is there a consensus on which parts are true? For the parts that aren't literal truth, are they all parables that are meant to teach, or do they believe that some of it is outdated and no longer relevant?

And I know they're not all the same - I'm sure there will be different answers for each group. ie Liberal Catholics won't believe the same thing as Protestants, etc. And even within a group, I'm sure there's disagreements. I'm looking for the big picture answers here.

It just seems to me that most arguments against Christianity by atheists are based on shooting down Biblical ideas, but not all Christians really believe the whole thing, anyway. I'm just trying to better understand the majority of Christians
That's MISTER Godless Vegetarian Tree Hugging Hippie Liberal to you.
RE: What do non-fundamentalist Christians actually believe?
Just from my observation, and from once being a non-fundamentalist Christian, fundamentalist beliefs do overlap the two groups. While someone might profess to be a Christian but doesn't bother going to church, they could defend creationism and attack evolution. I know many conservative Christians, while not being totally fundamentalist, who think that evolution is an evil lie. Or they could be liberal in some beliefs but still be against abortion, for instance.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Yes, I understand that there will be some overlap. That really wasn't the point.

The point is that I'm trying to find out what people believe who call themselves Christian, don't believe the Bible literally, and have thought about it enough to have actual beliefs.
I find most Christians to be quite normal/ not totally batshit crazy.

"Literalist" offends me when referring to such people. They are dumb saps who think that skimming over a poor translation is enough to base ignorant claims upon. In actual fact any serious study clearly demonstrates their serious error.

I take the whole bible as thus far inerrant truth concerning gods purpose and function. To fundies it's a science book.
That puts you in the batshit crowd, Frods.
(March 20, 2014 at 3:28 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I find most Christians to be quite normal/ not totally batshit crazy.
I agree, which is why I'm wondering what they actually believe about the Bible, Jesus, etc. As an atheist, I think they're delusional to believe any of it, but there's a big difference between that and the true nuts who think every word is literal truth.
That makes you a fundie Min Wink

(March 20, 2014 at 4:18 pm)Fromper Wrote:
(March 20, 2014 at 3:28 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I find most Christians to be quite normal/ not totally batshit crazy.
I agree, which is why I'm wondering what they actually believe about the Bible, Jesus, etc. As an atheist, I think they're delusional to believe any of it, but there's a big difference between that and the true nuts who think every word is literal truth.

I think every word is the literal truth. But how are you defining literal? I fully accept science. I find no conflict.
You don't think that the Genesis story of creation contradicts the Big Bang and Evolution?
Absolutely not.
So God creates all the animals in one day... and you're saying that doesn't contradict the theory of evolution?

I'm still new around here, so I don't know you that well. But I'm starting to think I'm being Poe'd.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1210 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] fact finding mission for non-Christians tackattack 52 4255 March 7, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are there any Christians here who believe in zombies? Jehanne 41 4817 February 1, 2019 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7805 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Lol the bible is actually ok with pedophilia, proof from passage Rarieo 80 23296 July 29, 2017 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Do christians believe in Witchcraft? Cecelia 55 14818 June 25, 2017 at 1:39 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Lyle Jeffs, Fundamentalist Mormon Breeding Colony Finance Wizard ARRESTED !!! vorlon13 6 2200 June 17, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  A quarter of British Christians do not believe in the resurection downbeatplumb 35 6812 April 14, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Christianity actually condones murder Rolandson 50 10129 January 21, 2017 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Catholicism would actually be the most likely controlled Christianity Rolandson 10 1979 January 1, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Redoubtable