Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 3:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This empty feeling
This empty feeling
Just recently a family friend passed away and every time I experience a death I get this strange empty feeling ( you'd say doesn't everyone, of course, but it feels different from that). The religious types will pray and make themselves feel better about a situation but what do I do? I feel like I'm missing something or maybe I just don't know how to handle sadness and stress the way others do. It's not that I want to pray, because to what? But I can't explain the feeling I get. Perhaps I just need an outlet, someone who can relate. I wasn't raised religious although I was christened for whatever reason my parents thought it necessary. A lot about death in general bothers me because it's such an unknown.
RE: This empty feeling
(March 20, 2014 at 7:20 pm)rossrocks88 Wrote: Just recently a family friend passed away and every time I experience a death I get this strange empty feeling ( you'd say doesn't everyone, of course, but it feels different from that). The religious types will pray and make themselves feel better about a situation but what do I do? I feel like I'm missing something or maybe I just don't know how to handle sadness and stress the way others do. It's not that I want to pray, because to what? But I can't explain the feeling I get. Perhaps I just need an outlet, someone who can relate. I wasn't raised religious although I was christened for whatever reason my parents thought it necessary. A lot about death in general bothers me because it's such an unknown.

I personally get through the grief of death by remembering the person for who they were, the impact they had on my life and the life of others.

I'm a strong believer that those of the religious who use their religion to feel better about the inevitable is simply a placebo effect.
Dying to live, living to die.
I guess it's normal.... each deals with the death of others in their own way.
Much like with parenting, there's no guidebook.
You just wade through it the best you can.
Hang in there!
I've had a lot of loss in my life, and it's normal to feel like there's a hole in your heart where the lost loved one used to be. You might even sometimes think you see them out of the corner of your eye sometimes, or hear them calling your name. Seemingly random things might remind you of the one you lost and stir up those feelings anew. It just takes time for your mind to adjust to them being gone. Talking about it helps. Letting yourself have fun with your friends helps. Sometimes, you may feel like writing something about it, and that will help.
It's not THAT unknown. I think we have enough information at the moment to say with 99% precision that death is the end.
Do you prefer truth or lie? I think truth is better even if we don't always like it.
My grandmother passed away a little after I had deconverted, and it was very hard for me to deal with my emotions because I no longer had the comforting thought of an afterlife. I tucked my grief into a tight little ball (figuratively speaking of course) and ignored it, until around Christmas when I remembered that she used to sneak some of the turkey to me when the cooks weren't looking (our family had a strict "no kids allowed in the kitchen til supper" policy Tongue) and I just cried for a while and that was that.

It just takes time I suppose.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
First, I want to say I'm sorry to hear of the death of your friend. Death is sad to christians and atheists alike because we're missing someone whom we love or care about. As a christian, when my parents died I did feel emotionally sad for myself, but not for them because I felt they were in a better place than they were here. I look forward to death in one way, but in another way, I don't want to leave my family and friends. I also don't look forward to the dying process, but I do look forward to the end result.
(March 20, 2014 at 7:43 pm)tor Wrote: It's not THAT unknown. I think we have enough information at the moment to say with 99% precision that death is the end.
Do you prefer truth or lie? I think truth is better even if we don't always like it.

It's not that death is the end that I don't believe. Honestly I think it's like when you go to sleep and don't dream. You don't even know you exist when you are in that state so that's my take on death...nothingness. calm. It's harder for the people left behind. I just meant it's almost envious the comfort the religious feel from it (praying) but as it was also mentioned it's like a placebo effect. In essence, death sucks and I have an irrational fear of it.
(March 20, 2014 at 9:19 pm)rossrocks88 Wrote:
(March 20, 2014 at 7:43 pm)tor Wrote: It's not THAT unknown. I think we have enough information at the moment to say with 99% precision that death is the end.

It's not that death is the end that I don't believe. Honestly I think it's like when you go to sleep and don't dream. You don't even know you exist when you are in that state so that's my take on death...nothingness. calm. It's harder for the people left behind. I just meant it's almost envious the comfort the religious feel from it (praying) but as it was also mentioned it's like a placebo effect. In essence, death sucks and I have an irrational fear of it.
You have plenty of time to get used to it.
What you feel is perfect for you. Don't think anyone else is handling it any better than you, because they aren't. Coming to terms with it, and forming a sensible attitude takes time and some luck. You're amazing. Don't let anyone tell you or make you feel any different.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would you do with an empty church? Casca 55 7125 October 31, 2016 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Feeling frustrated mageta52 7 1584 May 6, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  How do I get over that "feeling" that god exists? IanHulett 64 11650 May 3, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Leaving Church, Living True, A Liberating Feeling LivingNumbers6.626 2 1647 April 21, 2014 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Aisha
  Feeling a bit atheistish these days DeistPaladin 24 7725 December 13, 2011 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance