Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Nate Phelps, on his father Fred Phelps
Atheist Nate Phelps, on his father Fred Phelps
Thought this was worth sharing, if you haven't read it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/r...story.html
RE: Atheist Nate Phelps, on his father Fred Phelps
The LGBT community are victims of his hate? Fred once nearly beat Nate TO DEATH.
Quote:He says he will mourn his father, “not for the man he was, but for the man he could have been.”
I suspect that those people who had a heart-wrenching situation made even more horrible by Fred Phelps and his sign-waving goons are having a bit of trouble seeing past the man he was. Now that the miserable old wretch has passed on, they're supposed to imagine a world where insensitive douche bags didn't add to their mental and emotional agony?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 21, 2014 at 2:42 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: The LGBT community are victims of his hate? Fred once nearly beat Nate TO DEATH.

(March 21, 2014 at 3:00 pm)Tonus Wrote:
Quote:He says he will mourn his father, “not for the man he was, but for the man he could have been.”
I suspect that those people who had a heart-wrenching situation made even more horrible by Fred Phelps and his sign-waving goons are having a bit of trouble seeing past the man he was. Now that the miserable old wretch has passed on, they're supposed to imagine a world where insensitive douche bags didn't add to their mental and emotional agony?

Yea, it is an odd article, I thought. I stumbled on it, looking for something else. I found his comments to be a bit confusing. Like people should 'be' like Fred Phelps, but not be like Fred Phelps? Sort of akin to admiring Hitler for being a 'go getter,' but you don't admire what he actually did. Weird.
CBC Radio did an interview with Nate Phelps just before his father's death. You can find the podcast here.
If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people — House
(March 21, 2014 at 5:09 pm)xpastor Wrote: CBC Radio did an interview with Nate Phelps just before his father's death. You can find the podcast here.

Thanks for posting that, I will listen.
Instead of living life he wasted it on hate and bullshit. Oh the poor.
You're right, tor.

While I wasn't a 'hateful' Christian type, I can't help but think how much time I've wasted. I can't get those years back, everyone. Sad It's hard knowing that, sometimes.
I wonder what Fred was thinking about when he was dying. Was he really thinking he is going somewhere?
(March 21, 2014 at 5:43 pm)tor Wrote: I wonder what Fred was thinking about when he was dying. Was he really thinking he is going somewhere?

Probably.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Macron begins to retreat from his racist, xenophobic statements about Islam WinterHold 17 582 November 1, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  CNN- UN expert recommends Kushner change his phone after suspected Saudi hack WinterHold 1 521 January 25, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  MAGA "Tough Guy " Gets His Clock Cleaned By Immigrant In The UFC The Architect Of Fate 28 2495 December 19, 2019 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  T.I. takes his daughter to the gyno every year to check her Hymen. Divinity 48 3796 December 5, 2019 at 8:39 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  A Saudi hit and run criminal breaks his electric ankle bracelet and flees America WinterHold 22 2627 April 15, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Trump Projected His Academic Shortcomings Onto Obama Cepheus Ace 15 1030 March 8, 2019 at 8:32 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  A Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted Minimalist 3 327 November 20, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Like Father Like Son-In-Law Minimalist 1 346 October 14, 2018 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Joods
  The Republicunt's Voter Suppression Guru Gets His Ass Kicked Minimalist 3 808 June 19, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Franklin Graham Loses His Shit After Wisconsin Defeat Minimalist 9 1541 April 6, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: rskovride