Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michigan gay marriage ban declared unconstitutional
Michigan gay marriage ban declared unconstitutional
Another nail is pounded in the coffin

It's happening so fast that I can't even find an up-to-date map. That's okay, though. Soon, all you'd need to do is look for a map of the United States. This marks the 30th state to either recognize marriage equality, or face a significant and direct judicial challenge to standing bans.

At least, as of this week.

Roll on, fabulanche.
RE: Michigan gay marriage ban declared unconstitutional
This is absolutely awesome. I have a lesbian friend from Michigan, and she said she wanted to marry her girlfriend there.

So, yeah. It's the 18th state to recognise gay marriage.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I am wondering how these courts are declaring various state bans on recognizing same sex marriages as unconstitutional?

Because here in Australia our version of the Supreme Court (the High Court), struck down a bill legally recognising same sex marriages made by a territory. Citing a section in our constitution giving the only the commonwealth government the power to make laws concerning marriages.
undefined
(March 21, 2014 at 9:44 pm)Justtristo Wrote: I am wondering how these courts are declaring various state bans on recognizing same sex marriages as unconstitutional?

Because here in Australia our version of the Supreme Court (the High Court), struck down a bill legally recognising same sex marriages made by a territory. Citing a section in our constitution giving the only the commonwealth government the power to make laws concerning marriages.

Because the systems aren't the same, I would guess.

Most state constitutions guarantee basic human rights and equal protection. The state courts are declaring that is in violation of the state's constitutional guarantee.

The U.S. Supreme Court declared a key part of the federal law on the same basis - equal protection under the law.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(March 21, 2014 at 9:44 pm)Justtristo Wrote: I am wondering how these courts are declaring various state bans on recognizing same sex marriages as unconstitutional?

The prevailing case is Romer v Evans. A 1996 Supreme Court case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romer_v._Evans

Quote:The Court ruled in a 6-3 decision that a state constitutional amendment in Colorado preventing protected status based upon homosexuality or bisexuality did not pass the rational basis test, under the Equal Protection Clause.[2] The decision in Romer set the stage for Lawrence v. Texas (2003), where the Court overruled its decision in Bowers,[1] and for the Supreme Court ruling striking down Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act in United States v. Windsor (2013).

Significantly in Michigan the judge did not stay his own ruling pending Appeal. That means that, as in California, there will be many gay couples married before any Supreme Court decision could be made. At this point, however, the SC does not even have to take the case. It merely has to allow the lower court decisions to stand.
Fabulanche... I hadn't heard that. I love it.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I was wondering why my marriage was so terrible today.

My state's going to let two dudes get married, and it's ruining my fine, upstanding heterosexual union.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Well, if Kentucky's appeal against a similar ruling here doesn't work, I will have no choice but to file for divorce.
The SCOTUS could eliminate such court cases if the dummies would simply state in plain language that any law that violated the equal protection clause is unconstitutional and will be declared null and void. The problem is that so many State legislators and Governors have bat guano for brains so they are always trying to pass Jim Crow laws that restrict freedom instead of expand it.
Maybe there is still hope for America yet.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guns banned in Michigan State Capitol. onlinebiker 52 2958 January 13, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Michigan Bans Open Carry of Firearms at Polling Places onlinebiker 101 5421 October 29, 2020 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  California High Capacity Magazine Ban Shot Down. onlinebiker 73 2355 August 25, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  BREAKING:The exclusion of the UK and non-Schengen countries like Ireland from the ban WinterHold 6 732 March 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Michigan Bans Flavored E Cigarettes onlinebiker 48 3617 September 13, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  California ban on high capacity magazines declared unconstitutional popeyespappy 178 10277 May 3, 2019 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Baltimore poised to become first major city to ban privatization of water Aegon 9 682 August 8, 2018 at 9:51 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  BREAKING: SCOTUS Upholds Trump Travel Ban A Theist 18 2663 June 27, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  "Kill the fetus" ban lifted in Ireland Foxaèr 50 4553 May 28, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Gay couples denied full marriage benefits in Texas Aoi Magi 18 2787 December 8, 2017 at 4:12 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah