Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One philosophical argument for existence of supernatural.
One philosophical argument for existence of supernatural.
The argument basically comes down to:

1)In face of naturalism, our concept of ourselves and praise is not firmly grounded.
2) Without being firmly grounded, it takes a form of illusion as far as knowledge of ourselves and praise goes.
[what is meant by this premise, is that we don't know it being true, not that we know it's wrong]
3) However our knowledge of ourselves and praise is firmly grounded knowing it's not an illusion.
4) Therefore naturalism is not true.

When it comes to our own existence, we have a concept of the self. To me this concept of the self needs to backed up by an actual soul. There is a reason to this. We aren't merely an experience. We attach ourselves actions. Actions in the past, relationships we have, habits we take, attributes we take on, they all form part of the concept of who we are.

If we were merely an experience produced by the biological brain, then the past no longer is a part of who we are, things we've done shouldn't impact our concept of our self other than they did so because evolution favoured us having such a concept of ourself.

There is more to it, our sense of pride assumes praise and value exists. If naturalism was true, we can trace our sense of value when we first mind appeared and valued it's own existence to exist rather then to die. As for us, are roots would take a different form of praise with actions done in a community or tribe as we evolved.

At one point did subjective sense of praise turn into an objective sense of value and praise? Somewhere down the line in evolution, it wasn't perfectly objective for sure, from naturalism perspective, so how did it get to be an objective value? At one point in evolution did it go from having a sense of value to knowing there is an objective value or a sense of praise to knowing there is an objective praise value.

The same is true of our sense of selves. We wouldn't have a way of really knowing who we are objectively, it's more of a sensation and experience that we would have gotten as we evolved.

There would be nothing to back this oneness concept of ourselves we have, we simply have it, because evolution favoured us having it.

However, I believe we innately know objective praiseworthiness exists as well that our concept of our selves is built on some objective basis.

Us knowing objective praiseworthiness doesn't mean there is a universal sense or that we know exactly what that it is. It just means when we have a sense of praise, we do so thinking there is an objective value to that praise, even if we aren't aware of that exact value. The same would not be true if all we had was our subjective experience.

The same is true about knowing ourselves. That there is an objective existence to ourselves, outside our own very relative experience.
RE: One philosophical argument for existence of supernatural.
All 4 premises are false.
I rather think that the switching of self awareness and of personal value is not like a light switch. I don't think that one generation of early humans got a sense of personal value and the one before didn't. Although it would be impossible to know to what degree of self-awareness animals or even other humans have. I'd imagine that early man had a degree of self awareness. We don't know and in fact as individuals even cannot know how self aware others are.

I also think that the connection between point 4 is tenuous at best. Rather like three debatable points and then a statement that has thin connection to the other ones.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Well, what I'm saying is at one point knowledge of objective value would be preceded simply by a sense of a value (life forms valuing their existence and survival). Praise would also be preceded with a sense of praise before an actual knowledge of objective praise. As evolution works, there doesn't need to be an actual knowledge of value or praise neither does our concept of ourself have to be accurate, as opposed to simply an experience and sensation of these things. At the very least with naturalism, we can't know for certain they are with a basis, which means we would not know them having an objective reality. I'm arguing we are grounded in knowledge of these things, hence, naturalism is not true.
How do you prove that natural is not enough for praise to exist?
(March 22, 2014 at 5:19 pm)tor Wrote: How do you prove that natural is not enough for praise to exist?

Praise would exist in the sense beings praise other beings or appreciate others or have a sense of pride, but what would not exist would be knowledge that objective praise value exists. This argument is not saying this means no objective praise value exists, it's that we would not know it does if naturalism is true. The reason being is because we would have preceded with a purely subjective creation of a sense of value and praise without knowing at least at this point of time how it got to a sense of objective praise and objective value actually being true. The latter I argue would need a supernatural type knowledge, it would require knowledge through faith, and could not be verified from mechanism of naturalism. I also am arguing that this faith is strongly rooted in humanity to the extent that we do have knowledge.
What is objective praise? Of whom? And by whom?
Objective means a person or action has a value regardless of what others think of it. It has a value that is there.

When we subjectively attribute a value to an action or a person, we do so with belief there is an objective value, even if we aren't sure of the exact value. We have standards and do so with standards believing they are somewhat reflecting of this objective value and praise. We can go wrong and be wrong, but at the end, without belief there is an objective value, we would not be able to function.
Something of that sort is completely debunked here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN-yLH4bXAI
(March 22, 2014 at 5:41 pm)tor Wrote: Something of that sort is completely debunked here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN-yLH4bXAI

I'm not going to watch a 17 minutes video. Put into your own words.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 765 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 19242 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1665 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere GrandizerII 2 301 August 26, 2020 at 8:43 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6264 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2746 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Testing a Hypothesis about the Supernatural Bahana 103 16164 June 18, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 7979 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13683 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why the vision argument is a very good one! Mystic 72 7704 April 22, 2018 at 12:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus