Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Jesus a great moral teacher?
Was Jesus a great moral teacher?
Many unbelievers have said so. I can remember writing down that I still considered Jesus a great moral teacher just at the point where I fully accepted that I had become an agnostic. Quite recently on The Clergy Project a minister who had abandoned his supernatural beliefs posted that he will always be a Christian in his ethics.

A very famous case indeed was Thomas Jefferson. He was a deist and despised Christian theology about atonement through the blood of Jesus and other such topics. He even went so far as to construct his own bible, properly entitled The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, which he made "by cutting and pasting with a razor and glue numerous sections from the New Testament as extractions of the doctrine of Jesus. Jefferson's condensed composition is especially notable for its exclusion of all miracles by Jesus and most mentions of the supernatural, including sections of the four gospels which contain the Resurrection and most other miracles, and passages indicating Jesus was divine." (Wikipedia)

Lately, however, I am no longer so sure that much of Jesus' ethical teaching is practical and useful in life. It seems to me that a lot of it is too extreme for us to follow. I won't say any more at present because I want to hear your responses.

Just one caution, Christianity, especially the Lutheran branch, has a pat response to my complaint of extremism. Yes, they'll say, the ethical teaching of Jesus is perfectionistic because it is intended to show us how far we fall short of the righteousness of God and how much we need forgiveness. I'm simply not interested in hearing any riffs on this theme from Christians. I just want to know if you think the ethics taught by Jesus are realistic and doable.
If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people — House
RE: Was Jesus a great moral teacher?
Jesus said thinking something was as bad as doing it, and the things he's most remembered by are basic things. So I don't think he was a great moral teacher. Setting standards that are too impractical doesn't teach anyone anything.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I think you're right to call Jesus too extreme. In general, empathy is a good and useful thing. Neighborliness, benefit of the doubt and the respect of peers is a great place to start. But I see no reason to elevate concern for others above the concern you show for yourself. Furthermore doing good unto others should at least take into consideration what those others would consider good.
The 'great' moral lessons that Jesus taught were taught many times before him. Altruism, empathy, charity. These weren't original to Jesus' teachings.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
To think that jesus was in the center of all morality is not opening our minds to the rest of the world.
(March 24, 2014 at 10:16 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: The 'great' moral lessons that Jesus taught were taught many times before him. Altruism, empathy, charity. These weren't original to Jesus' teachings.

Yeah, that's what I mean by very basic things. Maybe not so much loving your enemies, but loving your neighbor, helping the poor, and basically being a good person are things that all social creatures need to survive together. We don't always care for everyone equally, but it's not some mind blowing idea that Jesus just came up with thousands of years after we came into existence.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...

(March 24, 2014 at 10:01 am)xpastor Wrote: Lately, however, I am no longer so sure that much of Jesus' ethical teaching is practical and useful in life. It seems to me that a lot of it is too extreme for us to follow. I won't say any more at present because I want to hear your responses.

Was Jesus extreme? Well I’m too lazy to read the whole bible but I believe Jesus said the following…

“I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!” Luke 12:49

“For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household. Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.” Matthew 10:35-37
(March 24, 2014 at 10:30 am)Escherscurtain Wrote:
(March 24, 2014 at 10:01 am)xpastor Wrote: Lately, however, I am no longer so sure that much of Jesus' ethical teaching is practical and useful in life. It seems to me that a lot of it is too extreme for us to follow. I won't say any more at present because I want to hear your responses.

Was Jesus extreme? Well I’m too lazy to read the whole bible but I believe Jesus said the following…

“I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!” Luke 12:49

“For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household. Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.” Matthew 10:35-37

Yeah, that's pretty extreme. Love thy neighbor, but love me most. Or else.

Jesus did not state anything new that had not already been stated, understood, and accepted by society already. The same can be asserted of Moses and those silly Ten Commandments. Theists have the misconception that there was absolutely no societal morality until their invisible skydaddy provided the rules of how to live.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I know very little of the details what Jesus actually advocated morally, but I do know that he was into thoughtcrime.

That's nowhere near being a great moral teacher to me.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 7393 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1756 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion stifles Moral Evolution Cecelia 107 14834 December 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2353 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Creationist Moral Panic Amarok 15 5570 June 13, 2017 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Make Atheism Great Again Mechaghostman2 104 11769 July 16, 2016 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  A great atheist debate video. Jehanne 0 1176 February 14, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Critique of "God is Not Great" by Christoper Hitchens phil-lndn 74 12221 January 24, 2016 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Great quote from Carl Sagan. Jehanne 0 1005 December 30, 2015 at 9:13 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Moral Argument for God athrock 211 36539 December 24, 2015 at 4:53 am
Last Post: robvalue