Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal Slavery
Animal Slavery
Humans routinely limit the movement of members of other species, force them to do certain things, and claim ownership of them. To do these things to other humans is called slavery. Is out treatment of animals slavery? If not, why not? What's wrong with the position that people who own animals are slavers, and people who eat eggs or dairy products or go to the circus are promoting slavery?
RE: Animal Slavery
Pretty sure my cat is living the fucking life on my couch right now.
There are differences, of course; the animals don't have a concept of money, but we do reward them for their work with food and shelter and medical treatment, the kinds of things that are important to them that would be scarcer if they were in the wild. We have animal cruelty laws in place to prevent abuses, and in fact organizations in place that will take animals away from abusive owners.

I'm not so sure you can draw an equal connection between the human symbiosis with domesticated animals and slavery, here.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I think it indicates that we are creatures of convenience. That, and cattle can't hold picket signs very well.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 26, 2014 at 1:08 pm)Esquilax Wrote: There are differences, of course; the animals don't have a concept of money, but we do reward them for their work with food and shelter and medical treatment, the kinds of things that are important to them that would be scarcer if they were in the wild. We have animal cruelty laws in place to prevent abuses, and in fact organizations in place that will take animals away from abusive owners.

I'm not so sure you can draw an equal connection between the human symbiosis with domesticated animals and slavery, here.
If we owned humans and rewarded them for their labor with food and shelter and medical treatment, and put cruelty laws in place to prevent abuses, it would still be slavery. The only real differentiator you note is that animals don't have the mental capacity to have a concept of money. Does that justify enslaving them?
(March 26, 2014 at 1:20 pm)alpha male Wrote: If we owned humans and rewarded them for their labor with food and shelter and medical treatment, and put cruelty laws in place to prevent abuses, it would still be slavery. The only real differentiator you note is that animals don't have the mental capacity to have a concept of money. Does that justify enslaving them?

I'm saying there's a different metric involved based on the capabilities and expectations of the organism in question. The reason we value money for our labor has nothing to do with the money itself, but with the value we place on it as a means by which we can continue to survive and obtain goods. Animals don't have that same value, but they do gain something they value from their labor, same as us.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Couldn't prove it by my two.
Do we enslave them or do they enslave us? Before Bebita passed on to the other side she was the ruler of my house. She dictated our lives and we merely existed to give her treats and do her bidding.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Why don't you ask the animals what they think about it.

Oh snap they don't give a fuck.
Animal Slavery
Animal slavery: Made possible by Good Christian Values.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pro Choice is Slavery? Jade-Green Stone 36 3439 November 15, 2018 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  When do we cross the line from 'animal' to 'person?' TaraJo 131 43904 April 22, 2013 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Do we own our own lives? A discussion on the morality of suicide and voluntary slavery. Kirbmarc 36 14409 December 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: naimless