Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secular Chili
Secular Chili
This Chili will turn you into an atheist. Think about that before you try this, all you lambs of christ.
This is my own recipe. To be honest it is based on a recipe I got from a Texan in the cloud a while back. But its been tweaked so much I call it my own. Mexican and tex-mex are some of my favourite cuisines, which may seem strange for a Swede who has never even been to the Americas... But that's just the way it is.

I will use metric measures just so you Americans and such can learn a little about something that makes actual sense.
(Q: How much is a calflength? A: Why guv, that's two dozen halfthumbs, innit?)

Ingredients:

250 g ground pork
250 g ground beef
2 cans of pulped tomatoes (Italian sauce tomatoes are the best)
1 half litre of beef stock
2 sticks of celery
1 large onion
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped and de-seeded
3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 heaping tablespoon of chipotle paste
1 heaping teaspoon of pasilla chilli powder
Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 and a half tablespoon of ground cumin
1 tablespoon of dried oregano
15 cl of lager beer (or dark beer, if you prefer that)
1 teaspoon of lime zest
Juice of one half lime
1 can of beans of your choosing
Fresh cilantro (optional)
Olive oil for frying and sautéing

Season the ground meat with salt, half a tablespoon of cumin and an extra teaspoon of chipotle paste. Put aside.
Chop the vegetables and the garlic. Put everything but the garlic aside in a bowl.
Fry the ground meat on a high temperature in some olive oil in a cast iron saucepan. Work the mince so that it becomes separated. You should get some browning. When it starts to crackle and pop, its done.
Throw in the vegetables. Stir and sauté it all for a couple of minutes.
Add the garlic and the tomatoes.
Add all of the spices and herb except the cilantro.
Add the beer and the beef stock. Reduce it all for at least one hour on a low simmer. The time it takes may vary. It is done when its thickened and there is no layer of fluid floating on top.
When it's reduced, add the lime juice and zest and the beans. Let it simmer some more for five minutes or so.
Season with salt according to taste, if needed.
Shave some fresh cilantro on top. Serve!

NOTES:

The best way to de-seed a chilli is to roll it firmly between your palms until it doesn't 'crunch' anymore. Then cut the top of and just pour the seeds out.

I would rate this chili as medium hot. But it all depends on how much of a tolerance you have. Aslo, I've found chipotle pastes that have different percentages of chipotle pepper in them. (Chipotle is quite hot) Use common sense. If you are a christian... Well, I don't know what you should use. A leap of faith?

Don't use too much cinnamon. Some people like to put an entire cinnamon stick in, but I feel this makes the whole dish just taste like cinnamon, and nothing else.

If you are a woman (or a man) who suffers from iron deficiency and you don't have a cast iron skillet or saucepan: get one! Besides from retaining heat extremely well, cast iron cookware adds much needed iron to your diet.

It would be nice to see other people's home recepies for chili!
If you are a christian: don't try any of them christianisms on me, like having wafers in the chili that have been transmogrified into the flesh and blood of Jesus. I don't want to be turned into one of you christianists.

RE: Secular Chili
Oh honey you don't know anything about chili! U poor Europeans!
Only one jalapeno? Thass not chili!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Where are the kidney beans, the habenero peppers, and half bulb of garlic?!
I can make my own chipotle peppers and purée them into a paste, will that work the same? I don't really like to use canned foods if I don't have to. Btw this sounds amazing!
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(March 26, 2014 at 2:01 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Oh honey you don't know anything about chili! U poor Europeans!
Teach me then!

Kidney beans? I said 'beans of your choosing' neh?
Habanero. TBH they are too hot for me. I suppose I could try just one next time, see how it works out.
Half a bulb of garlic!? Now that's garlicy! Dare I put that much in...

Making chiling CAN NOT be taught over the inter webs! Get your hiney to Tennessee and I'll teach you! Giggle
(March 26, 2014 at 2:32 pm)Losty Wrote: I can make my own chipotle peppers and purée them into a paste, will that work the same? I don't really like to use canned foods if I don't have to. Btw this sounds amazing!
Yeah. I've done that myself with whole chipotles sometimes. Though that will be much stronger than the stuff you get from the store shelf, I suppose.

Yeah Sven, one jalapeno does not count as chili! (I eat those babies raw/out of the can!) Big Grin

But on the topic of chilies, I recently tried a new ketchup called Hellfire, which surprisingly enough packed quite a punch.
[Image: bc2aee3a2df74ee3_800x800ar.jpg]
Contains Red Savina and other peppers. Great

EDIT: Oh, and the recipe seems good, have to try it out some day! Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(March 26, 2014 at 2:44 pm)sven Wrote:
(March 26, 2014 at 2:32 pm)Losty Wrote: I can make my own chipotle peppers and purée them into a paste, will that work the same? I don't really like to use canned foods if I don't have to. Btw this sounds amazing!
Yeah. I've done that myself with whole chipotles sometimes. Though that will be much stronger than the stuff you get from the store shelf, I suppose.
I love spicy! Also, chipotle has a wayyyyy better flavor than habanero peppers! It's the adobo sauce that makes them amazing. My 18 month old daughter likes chipotle even lol. I try to incorporate it into everything I make Tongue

Another one to try is chile de árbol, I think it's usually labeled as Japanese chili peppers in the store where I buy it. Mmmm
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Birthday A. Secular Human! arewethereyet 11 655 May 22, 2023 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Happy birthday A. Secular Human! arewethereyet 4 497 May 22, 2022 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Oracle
  Happy Birthday Secular Elf! brewer 10 1130 December 16, 2016 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  How do you take your chili? BrokenQuill92 59 5152 December 3, 2014 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: DemonicLemon