Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd sect or denomination
Odd sect or denomination
Since I started coming here, there's something I've been thinking about.
A while back I saw a woman on the tram I haven't seen for many years. She didn't recognize me. She looked absolutely miserable, like she was on her way to jump from a bridge or something.

This woman was the elder of two sisters I used to play with sometimes when I was a kid. Me and my friends were nearly always happy and carefree. But those two girls, they were scared, anxious and worried about almost everything. Whatever you wanted to do, like play in the forest, fish for salamanders in the dam, or go to the playground, you always had to spend a long time nagging/luring them with you, even though they clearly wanted to come. My other friends thought they were bummers. They were, honestly, by I had a childhood crush on the younger sister -- she was an absolutely beautiful girl.
The family of the two sisters belonged to some christian congregation that seemed to be unusually strict. Almost draconic, even. The sisters were absolutely forbidden to do certain things, like participating in some school subjects, reading comics, watching TV, and having any physical contact with boys whatsoever.
Sometimes I used to invite the younger sister to play with me at home. She was of course not allowed to do this either, but she did it anyway. We sometimes watched TV together and I could tell she was absolutely entranced. But afterwards she always flew into a panic and started washing her eyes in the bathroom. Her mother had told her that she could tell if she had been watching TV, since it made her eyes dirty. She was trying to wash the dirt away.
The church of this congregation wasn't that far away from my childhood home. It was all very mysterious and no outsiders knew much about these people. When they went to church they wore clothes that I can only describe as 'old timey'. Like people would wear before the turn of the last century. The women and girls wore what I believe is called bonnets, and all their clothing was black.
Anyway -- besides from telling you this story, I'd like to ask if anyone here knows what kind of congregation this was. The two sisters once hinted that their family had somehow come from America.

RE: Odd sect or denomination
I'd call it fucked up.
Could they have been a conservative branch of the Mennonites? They are loosely related to the amish theology wise, but less isolated.
Sven,
Check out German Baptists. Often mistaken for Amish when out and about.
Quote:The sisters were absolutely forbidden to do certain things, like participating in some school subjects, reading comics, watching TV, and having any physical contact with boys whatsoever.

Sound like ultra-orthodox jews or muslims. Crazy is crazy, man. Doesn't matter what fucking god you attach to it.
Doesn't sound quite the same - but up near my country place there's a significant population of Apostolic Lutherans. They generally keep to themselves, and live a fairly modest / old-fashioned existence. Not quite the Amish - they own cars and use electricity and such, but not television, etc. They're a fairly small group but stick together.

I imagine that there's a lot of splinter groups like that and so identifying the particular one may not be easy.
(March 27, 2014 at 5:51 pm)Alex K Wrote: Could they have been a conservative branch of the Mennonites? They are loosely related to the amish theology wise, but less isolated.
Interesting. I've never heard or read anything about them before. I googled and found a picture that was quite similar to what their church clothes looked like. But the men didn't have beards. The girls never wore clothes like that to school, etc. They had 'ordinary' clothes then. Jeans, sweaters, etc.
The only thing is the bonnets. They're different. What they looked like was exactly like in an old TV-show called 'Little House on the Prairie" only they were black.

Mmm yeah things that are odd = sexy. Please say more things about things that are odd. Please? Pretty please? Wink
(March 27, 2014 at 6:04 pm)My imaginary friend is GOD Wrote: Mmm yeah things that are odd = sexy. Please say more things about things that are odd. Please? Pretty please? Wink

OMG get a room! Big Grin
(March 27, 2014 at 6:04 pm)My imaginary friend is GOD Wrote: Mmm yeah things that are odd = sexy. Please say more things about things that are odd. Please? Pretty please? Wink

You like that? You LIKE that HUH!?

Then check this out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Children removed from Jewish sect's jungle compound in Mexico zebo-the-fat 3 629 September 30, 2022 at 5:12 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  An odd question dudeabides 60 3324 July 13, 2021 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Astreja
  An odd circumstance with religion Abaddon_ire 18 1631 February 26, 2018 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How to start a new sect/new religion for dummies. Brian37 28 4131 April 11, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman