Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Atheists and Religious people be one?
Can Atheists and Religious people be one?
Well, I''m not much more Christian than you are, but definately one of those sorry sons of bitches that needs to have faith in God in order to not shoplift, kill myself, or act on some bad desires. I also need that Crutch for the weak (opiate of the mind) to motivate me to do good things and have hope. If you can do that without faith, my hat goes off 2 ya!

So, just wondering if you have friends who are Religious, and the two of you can enjoy eachothers company without tension, and without you having to tell them they are simpleminded, superstitious, imbeciles, and them not telling you, you are going to Hell?
RE: Can Atheists and Religious people be one?
It depends how seriously they take their religion IMO. If the person in question is going to get offended whenever I talk about god and/or his non-existence then I doubt they'll be my best friend.
(March 28, 2014 at 10:09 am)Thunder Cunt Wrote: Well, I''m not much more Christian than you are, but definately one of those sorry sons of bitches that needs to have faith in God in order to not shoplift, kill myself, or act on some bad desires. I also need that Crutch for the weak (opiate of the mind) to motivate me to do good things and have hope. If you can do that without faith, my hat goes off 2 ya!

So, just wondering if you have friends who are Religious, and the two of you can enjoy eachothers company without tension, and without you having to tell them they are simpleminded, superstitious, imbeciles, and them not telling you, you are going to Hell?

I was friend with a dude who thought I was going to hell and was happy about it. Didn't bother me cause we stopped talking after we understood we will never change. I thought of his religion as a brain disorder so it didn't bother me. He was bonkers about christianity.
See us apostate Amish chicken fuckers need to be motivated by reward to be good. You atheists do Good without expecting a reward. Damn!
Napolean Bonaparte saw that Religion can stop the poor from killing the Rich, so he being agnostic made Catholicism the official Religion of his empire. At the same time he kidnapped the Pope. He wanted Religion for His advantage because He saw that uniting his empire under one Religion could keep things peacefull.

Burn in Hell Asshole!
As friends, absolutely.

As partners in life, it's subjective.
I have several great friends who are religious. As long as they keep it to themselves, I'm fine. They know if they get into a debate with me, I am not going to pull punches. My best friends in the world are very much not religious.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I've seen faith transform Alcoholics and addicts who were extremely belligerant, hopeless, and selfish, to being more honest and charitable than the average person I've known. I've seen the transormation in people enough to be convinced that Spirituality, faith, prayer, and meditation can produce tremendous positive change.

Howevs, it can do the opposite as well.
Both of my partners are religious. One is hindu (hare krishna...mornings are awful around here lol) and the other is christian. We just agree to disagree. To be honest some of our best discussions/debates come from religion, but that may just be due to the fact that they are both open minded individuals to begin with. My religious friends who are super super religious and only believe their mindset to be the true mindset and I do have some static between us now that I have given up my religion; but it's not yet proven to be much of a problem beyond minor disagreements. I think religious and atheistic individuals are more than capable of getting on with one another as long as both agree to disagree. It's when either one sets out to 'convert' or 'deconvert' the other that problems usually arise.
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
(March 28, 2014 at 10:09 am)Thunder Cunt Wrote: Well, I''m not much more Christian than you are, but definately one of those sorry sons of bitches that needs to have faith in God in order to not shoplift, kill myself, or act on some bad desires.

I seriously doubt that. Unless you are a sociopath, then by all means, continue to delude your self with your god belief, for the protection of the rest of society.

Quote:I also need that Crutch for the weak (opiate of the mind) to motivate me to do good things and have hope. If you can do that without faith, my hat goes off 2 ya!

Again, I doubt that.

Quote:So, just wondering if you have friends who are Religious, and the two of you can enjoy eachothers company without tension, and without you having to tell them they are simpleminded, superstitious, imbeciles, and them not telling you, you are going to Hell?

I have 3 very close surfing friends that I surf with almost on a weekly basis, that are theists (2 Christians and a Hindu). We also take 1-2 week surfing trips to other countries once or twice a year.

We have no problems.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I get a long better with non Religious people. Either agnoistics or people who believe in God but don't believe those who have other beliefs are wrong and going to Hell. I have an equal aversion to close minded, bigoted, and hypercritical Atheists.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 16414 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1934 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1954 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2769 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2875 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Have you met people criticizing atheists who use the expression OMG Der/die AtheistIn 30 4230 April 3, 2019 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4479 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How Do Atheists Help[ People? Rhondazvous 32 6080 March 14, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I like to treat religious people nice. Jeezypete 27 4354 February 6, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire