Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery of the consciousness
Mystery of the consciousness
Civilization is building space ships. Airplanes. Computers. Researching quantum physics. Soon we will have quantum computers etc.

Yet nobody knows shit about consciousness.

Ed Witten says consciousness will remain a mystery.
I watched the "Moving Naturalism Forward" event and apparently naturalists are having extremely hard time with it.

When will consciousness be figured out? Kind of funny that figuring out our own minds is the most difficult thing in the world.
RE: Mystery of the consciousness
It goes to question, "Does the mind move the body, or is it the body moving the mind?"
(March 28, 2014 at 1:28 pm)MicahArmstrong Wrote: It goes to question, "Does the mind move the body, or is it the body moving the mind?"

Well I'm pretty sure body moving the mind. But how does it move the mind? Nobody can figure that out.
My hunch consciousness was both a biological and quantum event. Possibly when the right set of neurons, combined with the electrical impulses, chemical soup caused something on the atomic scale that changed the whole make up of the brain allowing it to expand into the strange intangible reaches. But that is just a crazy guess....lol I am no neurologist so take that with a grain of salt if that.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUUlkpSOIcg
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Problem with consciousness is that it cannot be confined easily.

Strong emergence in a very complex systems is still a big mystery yet to be solved.

Huge complexity of the brain makes it behave similar to weather phenomenon so butterfly effect makes things even worse to figure out ...

But, yeah, i believe that one day we will figure it out somehow, but for sure, that day is not close, we will not see it (IMO) in our lifetime Sad
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
Entheogens can assist in understanding consciousness. Safe traveling Levitate
(March 28, 2014 at 1:19 pm)tor Wrote: Civilization is building space ships. Airplanes. Computers. Researching quantum physics. Soon we will have quantum computers etc.

Yet nobody knows shit about consciousness.

Ed Witten says consciousness will remain a mystery.
I watched the "Moving Naturalism Forward" event and apparently naturalists are having extremely hard time with it.

When will consciousness be figured out? Kind of funny that figuring out our own minds is the most difficult thing in the world.

A good read on what consciousness might be is The Mind's I: Fantasies and reflections on self and soul by Douglas R. Hofstadter and Daniel C. Dennett.

It is a basic primer on emergence, among other things.

One of the next books on my list is Consciousness Explained by Dennett.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Well, there are two issues here. The first is how does the CONTENT of the mind form, i.e. what brain chemistry or structures result in various experience. I really don't think it can be possible to fully enumerate a brain state-- instead, we'll have to resort to statistical models and conceptual shortcuts. But in doing this, are we rounding out the butterfly from the butterfly effect?

The second issue is one of the existence of mind. It seems unlikely that any understanding of HOW mind works will be able to explain to physical monists WHY mind exists in any physical system. Why does the processing of light and sound and the outputting of behaviors require sentience? That's always going to be a philosophical question, IMO.
Consciousness has always perplexed me. I'm composed of a bunch of particles, with no life of their own, but formed in this particular way, I am self-aware. Why am I, whatever that is, looking out of these eyes and feeling what happens to this body but not yours?
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2578 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 4607 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 55756 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 13922 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5485 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 3929 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  Foundation of all Axioms the Axioms of Consciousness fdesilva 98 13966 September 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5414 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  On naturalism and consciousness FallentoReason 291 44137 September 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: dissily mordentroge
  Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Universal Intelligence"? Mudhammam 253 41809 June 8, 2014 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam