Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Challenging Affordable Care Act--religious freedom?
Challenging Affordable Care Act--religious freedom?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/2...1W20140325

I haven't been following this story 'too' intently, but ran across this article. I have mixed feelings about all of this. I'm no longer religious and while I classify myself as an atheist, is it right to bestow MY views onto religious people? Should all corporations, regardless of their religious affiliations, be required to pay for contraception under their insurance plans?

Your thoughts/opinions?
RE: Challenging Affordable Care Act--religious freedom?
Yes. Fuck them and their silly gods.
(March 29, 2014 at 12:44 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/2...1W20140325

I haven't been following this story 'too' intently, but ran across this article. I have mixed feelings about all of this. I'm no longer religious and while I classify myself as an atheist, is it right to bestow MY views onto religious people? Should all corporations, regardless of their religious affiliations, be required to pay for contraception under their insurance plans?

Your thoughts/opinions?

Yes. If you don't want to take proper responsibility for those in your employ you've got not right to own a business.
(March 29, 2014 at 12:44 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/2...1W20140325

Your thoughts/opinions?

If employers can pick and choose which bits to follow who knows what else they can object to.

Remember there are some religious sects that do not agree with any level of medical intervention, so contraception could be the thin edge of a very wide wedge.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The choice of which professionally recognized medical treatments to be used belongs in the hands of the employee, not the employer.

What's next? Refusing to allow employees to drink, smoke, or wear plaid? That which is not proscribed by law should not be proscribed by an employment contract.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
It's also the case that people are 'using' religion in order to create a wedge for the case against the affordable care act. When you can say you "believe" that drugs like IUDs and Plan B cause abortions, when it is a verifiable fact that they do no such thing, and you can simply state "Well that's not what I believe," that is scary to me, and should not be tolerated.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Your thoughts/opinions?

Boooh! I clearly think so, judging from the article. Here in Sweden their objections would never fly. I think its bad enough that our state partially sponsors religiously based private schools that ban certain teaching subjects on religious grounds, have an unproportionate amount of bible/koran studies on the schedule, forbid unisex classrooms have strange and unusual forms of punishment, and so on. The law is the law for everyone. Doesn't the US have separation of the church and state?

Making religious people provide birth control isn't infringing on their religious freedom. It is infringing on their desire to force their religious morals on others.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
How come everyone here is smarter than me? Angry

I think you ALL make outstanding points. Totally agree. I was on the fence, seriously, with this issue, and it bothered me so much. I was viewing it from a religious freedom view...and while I think all religions are unnecessary and nonsensical, would a situation like this be my right to choose for someone else?

But, what you are all saying is that a person's health supercedes that of any religious conviction, and where might this slippery slope end?

Catholics for example teach that a variety of reproductive processes and surgeries are ''mortally sinful,'' and so I could see if religious people win on this front, they can opt out of all procedures that 'go against' their beliefs.

Ugh, what a crazy can of worms that would open up!

Thank you everyone for helping me make sense of all this.
Suppose you work for some fuck nut JW who doesn't believe in blood transfusions? Must an employee die because of his employer's superstitions?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 1007 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 1978 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  We The People Act onlinebiker 48 2449 March 6, 2021 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  For Americans Who are willing to act Rhizomorph13 13 866 September 21, 2020 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Sal
  "Securing America’s Election Act" Has Gotten Little To No Media Attention ReptilianPeon 20 2387 August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  And TheTrumptard Will Still Not Care.... Minimalist 8 1044 August 1, 2018 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1584 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Taxes, freedom of information act... Brian37 21 1865 February 4, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Trump administration announces conscience and religious freedom HHS Division Divinity 91 9224 January 22, 2018 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Cecelia
Question Coveny’s plan for health care Coveny 54 9747 October 21, 2017 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Amarok