Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Debate a Muslim?
How to Debate a Muslim?
As you may know I am from the UK, which has a large influx of Muslims, and I need more information about It so I can debate them.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: How to Debate a Muslim?
More information about Islam? If so, we call it Google, friend. Wink

If it's just debating advice in general, I'd say:

-Be at least somewhat cordial. A bit o' snark isn't usually frowned upon, as long as you don't become an asshole. On the same side, don't take shit from belligerent people.

-Learn to spot bad arguments, especially circular arguments, arguments from ignorance and non sequiturs, as they're quite common. Basically, be able to spot improperly formed arguments.

-Stick to the topic at and and make sure your opponent(s) do as well. There's no problem with bracketing off certain topics if they are beyond the scope of what's being discussed.

Hope that helps. Smile
With the sword.
(March 30, 2014 at 5:27 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: As you may know I am from the UK, which has a large influx of Muslims, and I need more information about It so I can debate them.

-They do not believe in original sin so arguing that god is allowing the whole world to suffer due to Adam and Eve won't work.
-They believe god sent many messengers all foretelling prophecies so arguing plagiarism against Noah, Moses or the like won't work, they will say that it was stolen and perverted by the pagans from god's countless messengers.
-They believe Islam is peaceful. These verses from the Quran prove otherwise: 9:5, 9:29 98:6,7 and many more can be found at the answering islam website, pick and choose as you will.
-The prophet married Aisha at the age of 9 when he was 54 and consummated the marriage when she was 12.Devil
-Do not argue stupidities in the Hadiths because it is well accepted among muslims that not all the hadiths are accurate.

This should get you on your way, there are many who know much more than me, however picking brains is not enough, muslims have 101 technical explanations to everything, thus, I advise you to read the Quran and study the religion yourself atop what you brain pick.
PM me if you know where this is from "...knees in the breeze" and don't look it up!!
(March 30, 2014 at 5:27 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: As you may know I am from the UK, which has a large influx of Muslims, and I need more information about It so I can debate them.

I would point out that Mohammed only claims to have spoken to the archangel, Gabriel and Mohammed cannot demonstrate that. He only wrote a crappy book about it.
Quote:so I can debate them.

Hold your shield high to ward off the rocks.
Tell them to show you god or shut the fuck up. This works with all religions.
(March 30, 2014 at 9:59 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote:

I would point out that Mohammed only claims to have spoken to the archangel, Gabriel and Mohammed cannot demonstrate that. He only wrote a crappy book about it.

Muhammad wrote NOTHING the Quran was "memorized, compiled and written years after Muhammad's death. Muslims claim Muhammad could not have possibly written the Quran because he was uneducated and did not know how to read and write.
PM me if you know where this is from "...knees in the breeze" and don't look it up!!
(March 30, 2014 at 11:20 pm)Senshi Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 9:59 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote: I would point out that Mohammed only claims to have spoken to the archangel, Gabriel and Mohammed cannot demonstrate that. He only wrote a crappy book about it.

Muhammad wrote NOTHING the Quran was "memorized, compiled and written years after Muhammad's death. Muslims claim Muhammad could not have possibly written the Quran because he was uneducated and did not know how to read and write.

It was memorized, compiled and written? Your sentence is in passive voice. If Mohammed didn't write it, then who did?
(March 30, 2014 at 11:24 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 11:20 pm)Senshi Wrote: Muhammad wrote NOTHING the Quran was "memorized, compiled and written years after Muhammad's death. Muslims claim Muhammad could not have possibly written the Quran because he was uneducated and did not know how to read and write.

It was memorized, compiled and written? Your sentence is in passive voice. If Mohammed didn't write it, then who did?

Yes it's that absurd, any Muslim will tell you that the Quran was memorized from sermons and was not put together in a book till years after Muhammad's well deserved death. I do not know who wrote it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1774 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Muslim students less likely to be awarded top class degrees. Succubus#2 28 2346 March 22, 2020 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Religious debate via Meme Foxaèr 324 54251 November 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3392 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Debate: God Exists Azu 339 55414 March 31, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  An interesting Muslim-Atheist discussion on Religion and Rationality SuperSentient 10 2895 March 5, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Should we be following scholars debate. Mystic 14 3246 March 23, 2016 at 1:04 am
Last Post: The Atheist
  Here's what can happen to an atheist in a Muslim country drfuzzy 12 2212 February 13, 2016 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Debate between me, myself and I! Mystic 22 5311 January 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Christian Fundamentalism vis a vis Muslim Fundamentalism Rhondazvous 12 2251 November 1, 2015 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous