Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 7:39 am

Poll: Would you prefer to be an agnostic theist, or a gnostic atheist?
This poll is closed.
Agnostic theist
69.23%
9 69.23%
Gnostic atheist
30.77%
4 30.77%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Fellow Specifically Agnostic Atheists
My Fellow Specifically Agnostic Atheists
To other atheists who are, like myself, agnostic atheists... if you had to choose, would you prefer to keep your agnosticism and yet be a theist, or would you prefer to be an atheist but a gnostic one?

I find it a bit of an unpleasant choice to say the least but I think I'd personally rather be an agnostic theist than a gnostic atheist... since I find gnosticism kind of arrogant, to be based on fallacious reasoning and kind of caught up in one's self ('in their own world').

EDIT: I think perhaps I could extend the topic to all agnostics not just agnostic atheists, and should extend the question of if you'd rather change your religious position (theism/atheism) or your knowledge position (gnosticism/agnosticism) if you had to make the choice... hmm...

EvF
RE: My Fellow Specifically Agnostic Atheists
I do not consider myself an agnostic atheist because although I cannot prove or disprove the existence of god, I am convinced that the whole concept of god was a creation of man. I am that rare atheist that is 100 percent sure of the nonexistence of god. Although my belief is subjective when weighing the possible choices I find logic on the side of atheism. I am comfortable as a militant atheists and don't find it necessary to try to prove a negative at all.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

I am 99.9999999999999999999999999% sure there is no god. Just like there is no Santa or fairies or ghosts or Bigfoot or devil or......................................
binnyCoffee
I don't think we have enough physical proof yet to be able to say 100% that god(s) do not exist, so if I had to choose between only agnostic theist and gnostic atheist I'd have to choose agnostic theist until we had more proof.
What would proof of not-god look like I wonder?
(December 18, 2009 at 4:21 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: What would proof of not-god look like I wonder?

Everything but god Wink

I'm not sure really. An explanation of where the matter came from before the big bang would help though.
Agnosticism is a more powerful concept to me than simple belief, so I would rather be an agnostic theist than sacrifice my intellectual integrity.
Seems a moot question - as personally I can't see any justification for gnosticism outside delusion. We're all either agnostic or apathetic... there is no other option.
Unless you're delusional? Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'm apathetic to the question posed.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Find out how much your fellow forum members are getting screwed Catholic_Lady 68 7180 April 13, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Fellow Linux nerds: what's your favorite distro? IanHulett 16 3009 August 28, 2016 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Another peeve I have with fellow liberals. Brian37 19 3249 June 2, 2015 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  So, if as an atheist/agnostic we're wrong about the god thing lilyannerose 13 5055 December 23, 2010 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Thor
  Atheist and Agnostic Clothing dontbelieve 9 5493 November 19, 2009 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Atheist/Agnostic Comedy tshirts mangakid 6 2371 August 10, 2009 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: mangakid
  Atheist and agnostic group, on Myspace Giff 20 6800 May 26, 2009 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Little Britain Usa Episode 6 (Specifically) CoxRox 20 6763 November 13, 2008 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet