Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you help me debate better?
Can you help me debate better?
So, I go into a huge debate with a bunch of religious people. I think I started off strong but sucked at the end. Here is the argument http://www.christianforums.com/t7812141/

I was wondering if you can tell me what I can do to improve myself.
RE: Can you help me debate better?
Read. Read. Read. Read. Practice. Read.

ETA: Read.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 31, 2014 at 10:35 pm)Doggey75 Wrote: So, I go into a huge debate with a bunch of religious people. I think I started off strong but sucked at the end. Here is the argument http://www.christianforums.com/t7812141/

I gave a quick look into that forum.
Somebody there point out to you that you already made
up your mind.
At the same time they also made up their mind so i can not see
any possible way to help you.
I as a theist i also made up my mind although my view is miles away from
a religious view.
I also try to argue with Christians.
I already knew that i would not convince anybody.
Just for the fun of argue as i do find fun to argue here with atheist.
My suggestion to you is......forget about convincing anybody.
Just argue for the fun and nothing else.

Here you can see my arguing with catholics before they kicked me out.
My name was ricchetto.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=834563
(March 31, 2014 at 10:35 pm)Doggey75 Wrote: So, I go into a huge debate with a bunch of religious people. I think I started off strong but sucked at the end. Here is the argument http://www.christianforums.com/t7812141/

I am with all of the above posters. read, learn, listen and keep an open mind.

Intelligence is not learning by rote and regurgitating, you need to apply that learning, adapt and sometime be prepared to change your view. Looking at your post you made some fundamental errors;

1. There are no absolute truths, even in the field of scientific endeavour

2. Think very carefully about the position you put yourself in, as much as there is no evidence for the existence of any deity, there is no evidence against the existence of any deity. Your decision to use scientific reasoning as your rationale for the Universe is just as arbitrary as a religious persons' decision to reason a deity as the cause of the Universe. Science is a philosophical discipline not an absolute truth even though to you it might seem like one.

3. Find out what circular reasoning is.

4. Find out what logical fallacies are.

5. Sometimes when you ask the question, 'why do you believe in god' you will get the answer, 'because I do', that's a valid answer. You are in no position to say it is wrong, but you can argue and debate why you believe your own position and why you believe it is a better position but you should not contradict it just for the sake of it.

6. Know your own position on the issues inside and out. Practice debating with other agnostics/atheists, get a wider view of the different types of thinking. Pick your opponents wisely, don't allow yourself to get dragged down into pointless insults and contradiction.

7. Be patient.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Quote:1. There are no absolute truths, even in the field of scientific endeavour
Then what is the debate about?
(April 1, 2014 at 7:27 am)ManMachine Wrote: There are no absolute truths, even in the field of scientific endeavour

How did you work that out?
How do you know that something that can be infinite can be compared with something that we know it is finite like the physical science? Thinking
(April 1, 2014 at 7:27 am)ManMachine Wrote: 1. There are no absolute truths, even in the field of scientific endeavour

Especially in the field of scientific endeavour. No, I should better say, there are none, but only science really admits it Smile

I can mostly only second what ManMachine says, although I think e's a bit too pessimistic about the limits of the application of science and reason.

Yes, the viewpoint "science and reason are unreliable" is not falsifiable, so there will be no hard proof or logical argument to show otherwise.

The trick in debates is to convince the other side that they really don't want to go down this path. For example because

* inconsistent with what they otherwise believe and how they act, and that they are thus
* throwing out the baby with the bathwater if they deny the foundations of logic and empiricism which you would like them to embrace.

Learn about occam's razor, probabilities and logical fallacies

Learn about the history of religions and belief so you can demonstrate to believers the reasons why most people believe, and why they believe what they believe. You cannot be so presumptuous as to claim to know why your individual opponent believes what they believe, but you can try to make them critically examine their beliefs this way.

Last but very important: do not expect to get an admission that you are right straight away on such fundamental isses, if that is your goal, you are in for needless frustration.

No one will tell you: hey you overthrew my entire worldview in a forum discussion, you are 100% correct and I have lived a lie, thanks again for pointing it out. Big Grin

(April 1, 2014 at 7:57 am)enrico Wrote:
(April 1, 2014 at 7:27 am)ManMachine Wrote: There are no absolute truths, even in the field of scientific endeavour

How did you work that out?
How do you know that something that can be infinite can be compared with something that we know it is finite like the physical science? Thinking

Since the statement "There are no absolute truths" is paradoxical or rather, self-defeating, I suspect what the ManMachine meant is "We do not know whether there are absolute truths" Smile So for all intents and purposes, we do not have any reliable absolute truths. Of course, you can almost say anything and simply define that that is an absolute truth.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 1, 2014 at 7:57 am)Alex K Wrote: Since the statement "There are no absolute truths" is paradoxical or rather, self-defeating, I suspect what the ManMachine meant is "We do not know whether there are absolute truths" Smile So for all intents and purposes, we do not have any reliable absolute truths. Of course, you can almost say anything and simply define that that is an absolute truth.

There is a big problem with that WE.
When you say WE you mean everybody which may not be the case.
How do you know that me or anybody else hasn't grasp that truth?
Why do you speak for everybody when in fact you would not know
what other people think or have got? Thinking
(April 1, 2014 at 8:45 am)enrico Wrote: There is a big problem with that WE.
When you say WE you mean everybody which may not be the case.
How do you know that me or anybody else hasn't grasp that truth?
Why do you speak for everybody when in fact you would not know
what other people think or have got? Thinking

You are correct Thinking, as I alluded to in my post, you can even go further than that and simply define anything as the truth. If you don't provide a criterion for what is true and what not, or if you even define it such that there is no other criterion other than your word on it, then that's that. The problem is that you will have used the word truth in a sense which I reject, end of story.

Maybe it is indeed misleading that we keep using the word "truth" without saying what we mean by it, and if we leave that implicit, there can be absolute truths dime a dozen.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The mistake I often make in discussions is to throw in half-remembered facts and arguments from sources I may not recall. Then I sometimes end up having to apologize and correct myself. This does not look good.
So study your sources of information carefully and remember where you found them, as has been pointed out already.
This is not just important for discussion. You learn a lot too, which is important in life.

Learn to spot people who use master suppression techniques:

"You are 16 years old and obviously have no clue about scripture or the Christian faith. If you want to know what we're all about we'd be happy to share but you have to humble yourself and keep the insults to yourself."

The best way to deal with this in the cloud, in my opinion is to simply ignore people who act like this. Don't respond to them at all I say.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Will Debate Alan V 82 4515 November 27, 2021 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If people were 100% rational, would the world be better? vulcanlogician 188 22624 August 30, 2021 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Debate Invitation John 6IX Breezy 3 672 September 1, 2019 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
Thumbs Up VOTE HERE: Final four questions for the Christian Debate vulcanlogician 43 4442 May 18, 2018 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  1st Call for Christian Only Debate: Our Role on AF Neo-Scholastic 132 16898 May 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm
  Argument from "better to seek proper vision". Mystic 53 5929 October 25, 2017 at 1:13 pm
  The Definitive Post On The Free Will v. Determinism Debate BrianSoddingBoru4 17 3207 September 3, 2016 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Is world better without Saddam? TrueChristian 90 11875 December 31, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Debate Challenge TruthisGod 127 19545 November 20, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Hello, Anyone interested in a debate? Anima 355 78997 July 8, 2015 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Anima