Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to tell parents I'm an atheist
How to tell parents I'm an atheist
I'm an atheist and my parents make me go to church. No one knows I'm an atheist but I've been wanting to tell my parents about it.Undecided But I'm afraid they'll be dissapointed in me. What do I do?
RE: How to tell parents I'm an atheist
Figure out what they think is worse than being an atheist and tell them that is what you are.

After they absorb that shock, tell them the truth.
How old are you? Do you live with them? Do they support you in any way? What do you hope to accomplish by telling them?
I think it depends on your relationship with your parents and what your goal of telling them is.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Dude, just tell them you're an atheist... I'm a lesbian, OK, I've been to a lot of PFLAG meetings (Parents and Friends of Lesbians And Gays)

All the parents there started out like, "OMG NO! My kid is GAY!"

Most them end up like, "It's totally OK my kid is gay!" Or even gay rights activists...

Worst case scenario is that your parents disown you, and if they disown you, you're better off anyway...

JUST TELL THEM! Tongue
Can you elaborate on your situation in life (how dependent you are and for how much longer) and how you judge them to react. How fundamentalist is your city/state/country of residence?

Are there any atheists in your wider family which you can use to gain a sense of how your family reacts to such things, and as a precedence?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 1, 2014 at 2:21 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: How old are you? Do you live with them? Do they support you in any way? What do you hope to accomplish by telling them?

I'm 15
(April 1, 2014 at 8:52 am)Creeper23782 Wrote:
(April 1, 2014 at 2:21 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: How old are you? Do you live with them? Do they support you in any way? What do you hope to accomplish by telling them?

I'm 15

That's pretty young, so you still have very strong economic dependence etc.
How do you expect them to react, your best guess? What's the plausible worst case scenario?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(April 1, 2014 at 1:22 am)Creeper23782 Wrote: I'm an atheist and my parents make me go to church. No one knows I'm an atheist but I've been wanting to tell my parents about it.Undecided But I'm afraid they'll be dissapointed in me. What do I do?
Try having a read of 'Mom, Dad, I'm an atheist' by David G. McAfee.
Sum ergo sum
(April 1, 2014 at 8:57 am)Ben Davis Wrote:
(April 1, 2014 at 1:22 am)Creeper23782 Wrote: I'm an atheist and my parents make me go to church. No one knows I'm an atheist but I've been wanting to tell my parents about it.Undecided But I'm afraid they'll be dissapointed in me. What do I do?
Try having a read of 'Mom, Dad, I'm an atheist' by David G. McAfee.

And there's that: http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Out-Atheist...+christina Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 8847 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 90978 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Angry parents over "Islam Homework" LOL??? GoHalos1993 41 8846 December 19, 2015 at 5:20 am
Last Post: abaris
  Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" Heat 46 8034 October 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mikazuki
  Any advice on coming out to my parents? BitchinHitchins 26 6771 August 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Parents forcing a christian convention on me - how to keep sane? coolfunkDJ 68 12620 April 4, 2015 at 5:06 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  How should I go about telling my parents that I'm atheist Ghost2282 12 3291 February 15, 2015 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Who do you tell you are atheist? Sedna 43 6977 October 24, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
Sad Dealing with overly emotional christian parents? interstice 17 3897 September 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Telling my parents that I'm an atheist- need advice. King Dez 16 3196 August 14, 2014 at 3:06 am
Last Post: King Dez