Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:41 pm

Poll: Do you think the question "can something come from nothing" is a problem for atheism?
This poll is closed.
The question is meaningless
43.59%
17 43.59%
The question is meaningful, and No
30.77%
12 30.77%
The question is meaningful, and Yes
25.64%
10 25.64%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing?
The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing?
Since this crops up every week in arguments, I thought I'd make a thread.

The notion of things coming from other things is not applicable to the universe as a whole.

Before and after

When we use the words "coming from", "causing" etc., we allude to principles we have learned from experiences which we have made within our universe. With the help of physics, we can have a pretty decent understanding what lies behind these intuitions, what it means for something to cause something, for something to come from something.

It boils down to statistics: imagine you walk through the forest along a small creek, the trees are swaying gently in the wind. Imagine you have your camera with you and you film this scenery while you walk past the creek.

[Image: CreekSCP.jpg]

When you come home, you just for fun let the film roll backwards, and you notice that you can barely make out the difference: the trees are still swaying, and the water runs its shallow course. Since the slope of the river is not noticeable, there is no striking paradox. Until you reach a small waterfall.

[Image: duggars_creek4.jpg]

Suddenly, it becomes all too clear that something is very wrong with this picture - the cascade runs backwards, waves from the shore coalescing on the creek to form droplets which emerge from the surface to travel upwards, losing their momentum until they integrate with a newly formed, almost unperturbed stream.

Why did the cascade so obviously violate your sense of time, while the other parts of the creek did not? The reason is entropy: the cascade is, from the physics point of view, a very irreversible process which produces lots of entropy. The creek running its course quietly produces entropy as well because of the friction the water experiences, but much less so than the cascade.

The surprising thing is this: nothing in the backwards-running movie violates the laws of physics. The only thing that is striking is how utterly unlikely the events are which we witness in it. In the same way, the laws of physics do not really dictate our everyday arrow of time, which events we interpret as future, which as past. It is merely a matter of probabilities, because increase in Entropy is exactly this: the transition from a less likely state to a more likely one.

No Time

The moral of this story is this: causation is a statistical phenomenon in a world of increasing entropy. Do not think that your intuition about what past and future mean, what causation means, can be applied to realms which are radically different.

Some want to go even further and discuss the origin of the universe, or let us say, of being itself, from nothingness.

Note what has happened: we use the words which have meanings in our everyday lives as well as in science, and try to apply them in a scenario so different that none of them retain any meaning. Two things spoil the question: if there is no universe full of particles doing their statistical dance, there is no notion of an arrow of time, even if we assume that time as a continuous parameter exists. However, if we let even go of this, if we feel compelled to talk about the creation of time itself, all meaning is lost, and the questions we utter merely resemble questions, but in reality only mimic them.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing?
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here...
(April 3, 2014 at 8:31 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here...

It's only the first part of a series, in principle -but the point is this: in particular theists often raise the question:
If there is no God, how can something come from nothing, so atheism is wrong.

Besides the fact that the same problem would exist for God, which is really enough of an argument to deflect this
attack on atheism, I want to stress that the question itself is meaningless.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(April 3, 2014 at 8:33 am)Alex K Wrote: It's only the first part of a series, in principle -but the point is this: in particular theists often raise the question:
Well for me, one problem I have here is that, from what I know, it's the theists who are making the claim that we, atheists, are saying the universe came from nothing.
As far as I can tell, many atheists are saying the universe came from a singularity, a something, which in turn didn't come 'from' anything since ideas like from, before, or after don't work at that stage.
(April 3, 2014 at 8:51 am)LostLocke Wrote:
(April 3, 2014 at 8:33 am)Alex K Wrote: It's only the first part of a series, in principle -but the point is this: in particular theists often raise the question:
Well for me, one problem I have here is that, from what I know, it's the theists who are making the claim that we, atheists, are saying the universe came from nothing.
As far as I can tell, many atheists are saying the universe came from a singularity, a something, which in turn didn't come 'from' anything since ideas like from, before, or after don't work at that stage.

Yeah, correct. But the thing with the singularity is also wrong... But they really usually say, ok then before that was a singularity, but why does that exists rather than not exist.

If there is something there is question why there is something instead of nothing.
If there is nothing there is question why there is nothing instead of something.
(April 3, 2014 at 8:54 am)Alex K Wrote: Yeah, correct. But the thing with the singularity is also wrong... But they really usually say, ok then before that was a singularity, but why does that exists rather than not exist.
My response:
Why does your god exist rather than not exist?
The issue is not temporal but rather logical priority. In a world characterized by change what are the necessary constants and of those which is most fundamental. Your critique only works against a straw man.
(April 3, 2014 at 9:13 am)ChadWooters Wrote: The issue is not temporal but rather logical priority. In a world characterized by change what are the necessary constants and of those which is most fundamental. Your critique only works against a straw man.

Are you aware that there is no god?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 4914 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Something from Nothing Banned 66 11368 March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68418 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 8757 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 8103 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  Is motion like the following? Mudhammam 27 3530 January 9, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  From where come your morals? urlawyer 33 4830 April 26, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing? GrandizerII 70 11987 February 24, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Why Something Rather Than Nothing? datc 249 30067 November 7, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: LostDays
  Something more. Mystic 20 2885 October 20, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam