Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Literal belief in the flood story
Literal belief in the flood story
A while back, I got into this argument with someone on RRS. If you believe in a literal account of the flood story, the take home is that God willingly killed children because he wanted to, and there is no other possible conclusion.

So, to start with this, if we assume there exists a god that is powerful enough to create universes out of nothing, then it's certainly plausible that there exists a god who could summon a bunch of water out of nothing, leave it on earth a while, and then magic it all away. It's not that difficult to accept once we've made the initial assumption. That being said, there are a lot of other problems with the flood myth that don't jive with the really real world:
  • The mixing of fresh and salt water would have killed countless fish.
  • Most or all terrestrial plants would have died.
  • The herbivores wouldn't have had enough to eat when they came off the ark.
  • The carnivores would have quickly killed all the herbivores when they got off the ark, then starved when there was no food.
  • Every species on the planet would have had a genetic bottle neck 5,000 years ago.
So, if we assume God can magic up universes from nothing, and magic water up out of nothing and magic it away, then presumably he can magic up some solutions to those problems. So he uses magic to keep the fish alive. He uses magic to keep the plants alive or simply respawns a bunch of new ones later; it's all the same. He either magically sustains the carnivores and keeps them from reproducing while herbivore populations increase to where they could sustain the carnivores, or he holds them in suspended animation during this time. He also makes sure that none of the species get wiped out by a single disease until the species can become more genetically diverse.

Again, this isn't hard to accept in terms of feasibility if he's out there creating universes. We can certainly question why he'd go through such a convoluted plot to kill all the wicked people when a bunch of well-aimed lightning strikes would have done the job. We can question why he magiced all the evidence of the flood away and later based admittance criteria for heaven on belief. Still, it doesn't prove that he couldn't have done it.

The problem is: the children. The whole notion is God was mad at the wicked people, so he killed them and their kids to make things right. Now, there's no way that the children who were sufficiently young would have been wicked, so why did he kill them? Given all the hoops he had to jump through that I outline earlier, he could have totally saved them; he saved all the fish and terrestrial plants. Also rock formations. He took the time to save fragile geological rock formations, but not the kids. The take home message here is God wanted to kill the children; he had other options. Literally, according to the apologetics, an infinite number of other options.

Now, I've heard Christians respond that the other kids were going to grow up wicked, so that's why he killed them. Two problems:

1) Couldn't Noah have raised them in a moral manner while God fed them manna from heaven, or something?

2) Doesn't this completely violate the concept of free will? Whoops! There goes most of your contemporary apologetics for the problem of evil and the reason for the flood in the first place!

This myth is stupidly contrived and terrible. When people accept it as true, they make some of the most creepy, and morally bankrupt excuses for God I have ever heard.
RE: Literal belief in the flood story
The truth of it is God is very very very very evil.
Here comes Huggy....
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Anyone accepting the biblical deluge as fact is a fucking dolt. There simply is no excuse for that level of stupidity for anyone over the age of 10.
In 3...2...1..... and action!!!!!!!
Good elaboration on one stupid thing in the bible. ?But there is many such stupidities, my favorite is an entire species descending from Adam and Eve. Honorable mention to the talking snake!
PM me if you know where this is from "...knees in the breeze" and don't look it up!!
Yahweh gets the award of pulling off the most brutal genocide in the history of the earth and still be admired by billions of people and being called just and loving. Fuck yeah for the masochism of the species!
I do love the "they would grow up to be wicked adults" defense, because of the implications on free will and the fact that they use it as an excuse for everything. Then again, internal consistency was never the Christian strong point.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
You list these things as if the God that was powerful enough to flood the earth isn't powerful enough to bring plants back to life... The way that I see it is God didn't kill people, He warned them about a coming judgement. He didn't force people to get in the ark, it was their choice... Free will.

Now we have a judicial system, correct? If the law says that murderers will be punished by death sentence and the government didn't deliver the decree if they had caught a murderer then people would most likely revolt due to injustice.

God warned about a judgement. In fact they had 150 years to decide whether to get on the boat or not. Now if God would have never delivered that decree the wicked would probably become even more wicked and Noah and his family would also turn from God.

As far as the children go... I think 150 years is enough time to warn your kids about a judgement.
(April 5, 2014 at 12:30 am)AT7iLA Wrote: You list these things as if the God that was powerful enough to flood the earth isn't powerful enough to bring plants back to life... The way that I see it is God didn't kill people, He warned them about a coming judgement. He didn't force people to get in the ark, it was their choice... Free will.

Now we have a judicial system, correct? If the law says that murderers will be punished by death sentence and the government didn't deliver the decree if they had caught a murderer then people would most likely revolt due to injustice.

God warned about a judgement. In fact they had 150 years to decide whether to get on the boat or not. Now if God would have never delivered that decree the wicked would probably become even more wicked and Noah and his family would also turn from God.

As far as the children go... I think 150 years is enough time to warn your kids about a judgement.

Where do you 150 years from? Thinking
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3349 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  [Serious] A Literal Bible. Answering questions Green Diogenes 101 6990 May 10, 2022 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 6214 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1765 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  [Serious] Literal and Not Literal Belacqua 440 47404 December 23, 2019 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4137 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Raw Story gives a voice to atheists.... Brian37 8 1615 October 17, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  When is a Religious Belief Delusional? Neo-Scholastic 266 26068 September 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bare minimum for belief in Christianity. ignoramus 37 7593 May 10, 2018 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6720 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama