Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 7:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Probably the most hilarious anti-atheist argument I've ever seen.
Probably the most hilarious anti-atheist argument I've ever seen.
So I'm in this one religious argument on another site, and my opponent just made me lol. I won't say any names, but his argument, revised by me for grammar, is as follows:

"I just hate the ones that say God is a dick, douche, or tyrant, because how can he be any of those things if he doesn't exist?"

My response was simple.

"How can Darth Vader be a tyrant if he doesn't exist?"

Fictional characters have attributes just as much as real people. Just because Darth Vader doesn't exist, doesn't mean he isn't a tyrant. And, just because God doesn't exist, doesn't mean he isn't a douche.
RE: Probably the most hilarious anti-atheist argument I've ever seen.
Dick, douche, tyrant...all trivial. Get back to me when the devout respond to the fact that their God is a cunt.
(April 6, 2014 at 11:10 pm)Cato Wrote: Dick, douche, tyrant...all trivial. Get back to me when the devout respond to the fact that their God is a cunt.

I will.

Maybe this argument wasn't THAT hilarious, I'm just bored.
(April 6, 2014 at 11:06 pm)Cobra Commander Wrote: So I'm in this one religious argument on another site, and my opponent just made me lol. I won't say any names, but his argument, revised by me for grammar, is as follows:

"I just hate the ones that say God is a dick, douche, or tyrant, because how can he be any of those things if he doesn't exist?"

My response was simple.

"How can Darth Vader be a tyrant if he doesn't exist?"

Fictional characters have attributes just as much as real people. Just because Darth Vader doesn't exist, doesn't mean he isn't a tyrant. And, just because God doesn't exist, doesn't mean he isn't a douche.
That's fine, but your own ranks are guilty of the same. When a discussion on god's attributes isn't going well for the atheist, other atheists will jump in and ask for proof that god exists, as if his attributes can't be discussed absent such proof.
Welcome

*edit*
Damn, thought this was an intro thread.

Meh. Welcome anyway.
(April 7, 2014 at 9:08 am)alpha male Wrote: That's fine, but your own ranks are guilty of the same. When a discussion on god's attributes isn't going well for the atheist, other atheists will jump in and ask for proof that god exists, as if his attributes can't be discussed absent such proof.

Here is a recent example of what Alpha male describes from this very forum.

(April 5, 2014 at 12:01 am)Chas Wrote:
(April 4, 2014 at 11:59 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(April 4, 2014 at 5:21 pm)tor Wrote: How is living 10 years healthy and young and dying instantly worse than dying gradually and painfully over 10 years?
Also how is getting old better than being young whole life?

Most animals are young their whole lives and get killed off(relatively instantly) before they grow old. Humanity is no different. In the Neolithic if you hit 50, you were a very old person....a rarity.

It seems the God set things up exactly the way you want it....but pesky human ingenuity...we had to muck it all up.

No, it seems no god set anything up.

Instead of continuing to discuss God's attributes(with the atheists losing it), another atheists jumps in and attempts to steer the discussion towards one of God's existence.
Well, logically speaking, it does make sense to discuss whether a god even exists BEFORE we discuss its alleged attributes.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(April 7, 2014 at 9:49 am)orogenicman Wrote: Well, logically speaking, it does make sense to discuss whether a god even exists BEFORE we discuss its alleged attributes.

When you discuss God's attributes there is an implied assumption( an assumption which only exists for the sake of argument) that said God does exists.
(April 7, 2014 at 10:21 am)Heywood Wrote: When you discuss God's attributes there is an implied assumption( an assumption which only exists for the sake of argument) that said God does exists.

Umm...no. Just no. I don't assume for the sake of argument that Harry Potter exists if I'm talking about the rules for Quiddich. You can discuss the nature and internal consistency of fictional characters without first assuming they exist.

The atheists just like to keep pointing out that, despite how well you can ever argue the actual content of scripture, you still can't get past that first and most important step.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 7, 2014 at 10:26 am)Faith No More Wrote:
(April 7, 2014 at 10:21 am)Heywood Wrote: When you discuss God's attributes there is an implied assumption( an assumption which only exists for the sake of argument) that said God does exists.

Umm...no. Just no. I don't assume for the sake of argument that Harry Potter exists if I'm talking about the rules for Quiddich. You can discuss the nature and internal consistency of fictional characters without first assuming they exist.

Quiddich isn't an attribute of Harry Potter so you analogy falls short.

(April 7, 2014 at 10:26 am)Faith No More Wrote: The atheists just like to keep pointing out that, despite how well you can ever argue the actual content of scripture, you still can't get past that first and most important step.

You could say the theists like to keep pointing out that, despite how well you can ever argue the problem of evil, its a silly argument to make if God doesn't exist.

In both cases if the argument is about God's attributes. Its just bad argumentation to try to change the goal posts in the middle of the game.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2097 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1933 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 34476 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 4626 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18033 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3434 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1095 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 24236 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6358 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
Tongue Let's see some Atheist or Anti Religion Memes Spooky 317 157478 July 10, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus