Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you define a conscious?
How do you define a conscious?
Since we both believe that souls doesn't exist, and believe that hell/heaven doesn't exist either. how do you define a conscious? We are not entirely atoms. If we are only pure atoms, it should be possible that if we recreate yourself, that person should be you again. but it won't be you. it will be someone else with the same exact atoms you have. Will i be possible to transfer conscious in the future? maybe to a computer where we will be immortal?
RE: How do you define a conscious?
I do not much care for delving into philosophy, and as such I shall post this link.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
what creates the "judgment that assists in distinguishing right from wrong" from scratch? I know we are conscious but is it a live stream of output? That's the best explanation I can think of. That would make most sense. The brain can create a conscious as the same way as a computer uses electricity to operate. If there is no electricity, there will not be a working computer. If there is no brain, there cannot be a conscious.

How do we create a conscious?
A conscious what?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(April 7, 2014 at 12:43 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: A conscious what?

a conscious living organism from scratch? the world was created by a nebula gases, and gravity. how did life first appeared? the ability of the judgment of a living organism is probably a by product of the brain workings.
I describe conciousness as the output of an appropriately evolved brain.
Like a good bowel movement is the output of an appropriately evolved digestive system.

Its just what you get after millions of years of evolution of sensory networks.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 7, 2014 at 12:52 pm)microxone Wrote:
(April 7, 2014 at 12:43 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: A conscious what?

a conscious living organism from scratch? the world was created by a nebula gases, and gravity. how did life first appeared? the ability of the judgment of a living organism is probably a by product of the brain workings.

More time than you or I can fathom?

I'm not accusing you of doing this but a lot of people use an argument of incredulity as the reason as to why they disagree with notions such as abiogenesis and evolution.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(April 7, 2014 at 2:33 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote:
(April 7, 2014 at 12:52 pm)microxone Wrote: a conscious living organism from scratch? the world was created by a nebula gases, and gravity. how did life first appeared? the ability of the judgment of a living organism is probably a by product of the brain workings.

More time than you or I can fathom?

I'm not accusing you of doing this but a lot of people use an argument of incredulity as the reason as to why they disagree with notions such as abiogenesis and evolution.

I do agree with abiogenesis and evolution. I just want to dig deeper into details of how conscious came into play. We have pieces of how abiogenesis works like that one urey miller experiment. I want to know the full process of how life came to be in detail. so i can speculate in the future if we can create life or not. or even better, if we can transfer the output of what the brain is, to a computer so we can live forever. or "insert" false memories into people, and "insert" skills into people that people can download to make their skill a lot better, like a robot. If I suck at playing piano, in theory, I can transfer a professional piano player's experience of 10 years into myself so I can play piano that well. I agree full heartedly that the solar system was formed by gases and pressure condensing the gasses into star(s) and planet(s). and earth slowly cooled down and was slowly turn the way it is now. We have continents that drift back and forth (into one super continent and into several continents, etc)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you define terms? Topcat 8 1739 August 3, 2014 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Mystical
  How can we define complexity? Tiberius 10 3318 March 10, 2009 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: athoughtfulman