Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An idiot blasting Hitchens.
An idiot blasting Hitchens.
Just today I got into it with some asshole over Christopher Hitchens. It is true many atheists saw him as a mean drunk simply writing shit to piss people off for no good reason. But regardless of if you like him or not, please tell me how his sexuality has anything to do with him being right or wrong or the tatics he used? Because that is precisely what this fuckwad did. "Notorious cocksucker" was this idiot's words. And it wasn't simply an ad homin, this guy really thinks Hitchens sex life had to do with his political and religious views. This moron implied that a man "taking it up the poop shoot" meant that he was wrong on everything he claimed. Despite the fact that I pointed out that heterosexuals partake in anal sex as well. Despite the fact that STDs can be spread in heterosexuals as well. Now this moron may have been an atheist, but he certainly had an unhealthy and ignorant view of human evolution and human sexuality rivaling the puritanical views of believers.

The other issue I take with him, and critics of Hitchens is their wrongheaded view that he was being mean and hateful for no good reason. Did Hitchens get everything right? No human ever does. Did he have flaws, I'd say that was obvious. But on the issue of calling religion "poison" and describing the God of Abraham as the leader of "A celestial North Korea" as Hitchens put it, is dead right. Why do I agree with Hitchens on this?

If religion IN OUR ENTIRE SPECIES HISTORY, was the cure all for human problems we would have peace by now. It seems to have the opposite affect though. In evolution there is an explanation for this. Religion reflects our evolutionary grouping. Unfortunately all it is our ignorance of the nature of why we group. It sets up an in group vs out group dynamic. Now mind you, on this aspect I am talking about ALL OF EVOLUTION in our species existence.

But Hitchens most hailed and criticized book at the same time "God Is Not Great" he is specifically talking about the God of Abraham, and by proxy would include the big three. Now of course believers of all three think of their god as good. But the contradiction in such a claim is that he is good to who? Club members only. And even if we default to him being "good" for argument's sake, you still cannot remove him from his position. There is a word for people whom you cannot remove from their position. A fixed position and an unchangeable position is the very definition of a "dictator". That is not a concept or word Hitchens or I came up with. It is merely the observation he made and I agree with.

So even with humans that this God favors, he still has final say over them. In the concept of this light as a literary character, that puts humans in the position of being property. Often the "free will" argument is made to dodge this. But in reality, say like a boyfriend girlfriend relationship, we cannot give the other the same "choice" this God character does with "free will". "You can go if you want, but if you do, I will follow you, drag you back and force you to submit, or I will murder you". That is consistent with Ill and North Korea and how they treat their population. Hitchens and I both know that is an ugly view of this claimed god, we accept that and we know people don't like hearing it. But there is a reason we point it out. Because both he and I know, that this claimed leader, was written at a time of kings and back then the King, no matter how kind the population wanted their king to be(both in polytheism and monotheism) that king always had final say EVEN if you liked him. Thus God can only be as a character a reflection of the social norms of antiquity and does not match our civility today in reality where we can question our leaders and they cannot abuse us and they need our consent to have power.

So, when faced with the uncomfortable reality the likes of Hitchens and Mahar and me for that matter. We get called hateful. I am tired of trying to deny that for PC purposes. YES, tell me why I shouldn't "hate" concepts that put people in the status of not having any say in who their leader is? Tell us why we shouldn't hate concepts that divide people. Tell us why we should not hate concepts that consistently promote racism, sexism, homophobia, and bigotry? Tell us why we should not hate concepts that condemn science and reason and rely on antiquity and myth? Yes I hate religion, not as a human right, but the idea that it is fixed and should never be questioned.

It has always taken the skeptics and the blasphemers to be the cold water on humanity's face to get them to rethink how they view the world. "Question with boldness even the existence of a god, for if there be one, surely he would pay more homage to reason than to that of blindfolded fear" Thomas Jefferson. Yes we do hate old thinking and stale thinking when better tools replace the old ways. We hate what we see as clinging to an outdated past when we know how capable humans can be to improve in the future. So when you accuse me of hate, in what context? Do not ask me to feel guilty for pointing out bad logic and bad morals written by people in antiquity I had no hand in writing. It would be like getting angry at me for saying the sun is not a god, which Egyptians once falsely believed to be true.
RE: An idiot blasting Hitchens.
(April 7, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Just today I got into it with some asshole over Christopher Hitchens. It is true many atheists saw him as a mean drunk simply writing shit to piss people off for no good reason. But regardless of if you like him or not, please tell me how his sexuality has anything to do with him being right or wrong or the tatics he used? Because that is precisely what this fuckwad did. "Notorious cocksucker" was this idiot's words. And it wasn't simply an ad homin, this guy really thinks Hitchens sex life had to do with his political and religious views. This moron implied that a man "taking it up the poop shoot" meant that he was wrong on everything he claimed. Despite the fact that I pointed out that heterosexuals partake in anal sex as well. Despite the fact that STDs can be spread in heterosexuals as well. Now this moron may have been an atheist, but he certainly had an unhealthy and ignorant view of human evolution and human sexuality rivaling the puritanical views of believers.

The other issue I take with him, and critics of Hitchens is their wrongheaded view that he was being mean and hateful for no good reason. Did Hitchens get everything right? No human ever does. Did he have flaws, I'd say that was obvious. But on the issue of calling religion "poison" and describing the God of Abraham as the leader of "A celestial North Korea" as Hitchens put it, is dead right. Why do I agree with Hitchens on this?

If religion IN OUR ENTIRE SPECIES HISTORY, was the cure all for human problems we would have peace by now. It seems to have the opposite affect though. In evolution there is an explanation for this. Religion reflects our evolutionary grouping. Unfortunately all it is our ignorance of the nature of why we group. It sets up an in group vs out group dynamic. Now mind you, on this aspect I am talking about ALL OF EVOLUTION in our species existence.

But Hitchens most hailed and criticized book at the same time "God Is Not Great" he is specifically talking about the God of Abraham, and by proxy would include the big three. Now of course believers of all three think of their god as good. But the contradiction in such a claim is that he is good to who? Club members only. And even if we default to him being "good" for argument's sake, you still cannot remove him from his position. There is a word for people whom you cannot remove from their position. A fixed position and an unchangeable position is the very definition of a "dictator". That is not a concept or word Hitchens or I came up with. It is merely the observation he made and I agree with.

So even with humans that this God favors, he still has final say over them. In the concept of this light as a literary character, that puts humans in the position of being property. Often the "free will" argument is made to dodge this. But in reality, say like a boyfriend girlfriend relationship, we cannot give the other the same "choice" this God character does with "free will". "You can go if you want, but if you do, I will follow you, drag you back and force you to submit, or I will murder you". That is consistent with Ill and North Korea and how they treat their population. Hitchens and I both know that is an ugly view of this claimed god, we accept that and we know people don't like hearing it. But there is a reason we point it out. Because both he and I know, that this claimed leader, was written at a time of kings and back then the King, no matter how kind the population wanted their king to be(both in polytheism and monotheism) that king always had final say EVEN if you liked him. Thus God can only be as a character a reflection of the social norms of antiquity and does not match our civility today in reality where we can question our leaders and they cannot abuse us and they need our consent to have power.

So, when faced with the uncomfortable reality the likes of Hitchens and Mahar and me for that matter. We get called hateful. I am tired of trying to deny that for PC purposes. YES, tell me why I shouldn't "hate" concepts that put people in the status of not having any say in who their leader is? Tell us why we shouldn't hate concepts that divide people. Tell us why we should not hate concepts that consistently promote racism, sexism, homophobia, and bigotry? Tell us why we should not hate concepts that condemn science and reason and rely on antiquity and myth? Yes I hate religion, not as a human right, but the idea that it is fixed and should never be questioned.

It has always taken the skeptics and the blasphemers to be the cold water on humanity's face to get them to rethink how they view the world. "Question with boldness even the existence of a god, for if there be one, surely he would pay more homage to reason than to that of blindfolded fear" Thomas Jefferson. Yes we do hate old thinking and stale thinking when better tools replace the old ways. We hate what we see as clinging to an outdated past when we know how capable humans can be to improve in the future. So when you accuse me of hate, in what context? Do not ask me to feel guilty for pointing out bad logic and bad morals written by people in antiquity I had no hand in writing. It would be like getting angry at me for saying the sun is not a god, which Egyptians once falsely believed to be true.

Hitchens was a great voice for atheism, but he also had some messed up views on many other things. Like you say though, no one is without flaws, thats what makes us human.
I thought he was heterosexual though. On the wiki it says he was married with children and such.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(April 7, 2014 at 11:00 pm)Sejanus Wrote: I thought he was heterosexual though. On the wiki it says he was married with children and such.

Yeah, this is the first time i ever head he was gay. I don't think he was.

(April 7, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Just today I got into it with some asshole over Christopher Hitchens. It is true many atheists saw him as a mean drunk simply writing shit to piss people off for no good reason. But regardless of if you like him or not, please tell me how his sexuality has anything to do with him being right or wrong or the tatics he used? Because that is precisely what this fuckwad did. "Notorious cocksucker" was this idiot's words. And it wasn't simply an ad homin, this guy really thinks Hitchens sex life had to do with his political and religious views. This moron implied that a man "taking it up the poop shoot" meant that he was wrong on everything he claimed. Despite the fact that I pointed out that heterosexuals partake in anal sex as well. Despite the fact that STDs can be spread in heterosexuals as well. Now this moron may have been an atheist, but he certainly had an unhealthy and ignorant view of human evolution and human sexuality rivaling the puritanical views of believers.

PS, you sound like a religious nut having a rant because someone offended your god lmao.
I got pissed because it should not matter what his sexuality was. That fucker brought it up as if it mattered.

Quote:PS, you sound like a religious nut having a rant because someone offended your god lmao.

Excuse me? Please tell my why I shouldn't be pissed at ANYONE who is a fucking ignorant homophobe? Damned right I am going to "rant".
(April 8, 2014 at 10:02 am)Brian37 Wrote: I got pissed because it should not matter what his sexuality was. That fucker brought it up as if it mattered.

Quote:PS, you sound like a religious nut having a rant because someone offended your god lmao.

Excuse me? Please tell my why I shouldn't be pissed at ANYONE who is a fucking ignorant homophobe? Damned right I am going to "rant".

Because the world is full of idiots, and you can't let yourself get pissed at everything they say, or you are not going to enjoy you time on this planet very much.
(April 8, 2014 at 10:16 am)cromwell Wrote:
(April 8, 2014 at 10:02 am)Brian37 Wrote: I got pissed because it should not matter what his sexuality was. That fucker brought it up as if it mattered.

Because the world is full of idiots, and you can't let yourself get pissed at everything they say, or you are not going to enjoy you time on this planet very much.

Please, this is coded bullshit to maintain the status quo. Instead of criticizing me, go after them, they are the ones doing harm to other humans who do not deserve it.

Political correctness does not help the victims.
(April 7, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Just today I got into it with some asshole over Christopher Hitchens... writing shit to piss people off for no good reason.
The word you're looking for is 'contrarian' Big Grin

Quote:But regardless of if you like him or not, please tell me how his sexuality has anything to do with him being right or wrong or the tatics he used?
It doesn't. This person finds homosexuality insulting therefore finds it appropriate to use as an insult. The word here is 'bigot'.

Quote:Hitchens... was being mean and hateful for no good reason.
Absolutely not. Sometimes Hitchens was mean and hateful. He felt no embarrasment in expressing hate when deserved, he was direct & clear about it when he was being so and he made no apologies for it. But he always had good reason and was articulate in his description.
Quote: <text regarding Hitchens' North Korea analogy>
Yup, it was a powerful, descriptive and quietly humourous analogy. It invoked sentiments of contempt, sympathy and derision in equal measure.

Have no fear, your thinking is sound in this regard but all in all, I think you got trolled.
Sum ergo sum
(April 8, 2014 at 10:31 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(April 8, 2014 at 10:16 am)cromwell Wrote: Because the world is full of idiots, and you can't let yourself get pissed at everything they say, or you are not going to enjoy you time on this planet very much.

Please, this is coded bullshit to maintain the status quo. Instead of criticizing me, go after them, they are the ones doing harm to other humans who do not deserve it.

Calling someone names because they are gay is bad and he is obviously doing it to upset easily upset people like yourself, but I have got news for you, there are bigger problems going on in the world right now to rant about if you want to make a difference than people using insults.
(April 8, 2014 at 10:53 am)Ben Davis Wrote:
(April 7, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Just today I got into it with some asshole over Christopher Hitchens... writing shit to piss people off for no good reason.
The word you're looking for is 'contrarian' Big Grin

Quote:But regardless of if you like him or not, please tell me how his sexuality has anything to do with him being right or wrong or the tatics he used?
It doesn't. This person finds homosexuality insulting therefore finds it appropriate to use as an insult. The word here is 'bigot'.

Quote:Hitchens... was being mean and hateful for no good reason.
Absolutely not. Sometimes Hitchens was mean and hateful. He felt no embarrasment in expressing hate when deserved, he was direct & clear about it when he was being so and he made no apologies for it. But he always had good reason and was articulate in his description.
Quote: <text regarding Hitchens' North Korea analogy>
Yup, it was a powerful, descriptive and quietly humourous analogy. It invoked sentiments of contempt, sympathy and derision in equal measure.

Have no fear, your thinking is sound in this regard but all in all, I think you got trolled.

I wasn't accusing Hitchens of being mean for no good reason. I am saying some people, IE the idiot that lead me to start this post and other theists and atheists who do accuse him of being mean for no good reason.

No, I did not get just "trolled", this guy didn't like Hitchens and despite what you might think there are even some atheists who are homophobes. Why even joke about his sexuality if you are merely "trolling" about sexuality? If he merely hated Hitchens just say "I think he was mean and wrong". It fucking took forever for me to finally get that idiot to that point.

But thanks, his logic was sound. I don't think the North Korea analogy was meant to be humorous though. It should be taken seriously because the god character behaves in the same way.

(April 8, 2014 at 1:49 pm)cromwell Wrote:
(April 8, 2014 at 10:31 am)Brian37 Wrote: Please, this is coded bullshit to maintain the status quo. Instead of criticizing me, go after them, they are the ones doing harm to other humans who do not deserve it.

Calling someone names because they are gay is bad and he is obviously doing it to upset easily upset people like yourself, but I have got news for you, there are bigger problems going on in the world right now to rant about if you want to make a difference than people using insults.

Yes because "insults" are more important than actual human suffering.

Sorry, once again your PC mentality does not do shit to help out oppressed people. Christians, Jews, atheists and gays and non Shiites living in Iran have a right to bitch.

"Don't use insults" is your well intended evolutionary sense of empathy. Unfortunately that blanket solution gives the offended the right to hide behind the very absurd claims and naked assertions, that lead to the sexism, bigotry and violence well intended people like you want to stop.

Being offended is NOT the worst thing in the world. If you want religion to stop having excuses to do horrible things, then it needs to be offended.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christianity Made Me Talk Like An Idiot Manowar 6 2698 June 25, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Hitchens, Dawkins, Hawking, Ehrman, Coin, Sagan: Where are the Woman? Rhondazvous 44 4223 January 14, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Long before Hitchens/Dawkins/Harris...... Brian37 3 1739 March 25, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Critique of "God is Not Great" by Christoper Hitchens phil-lndn 74 12435 January 24, 2016 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Good news ... told by an idiot GUBU 20 5549 January 20, 2016 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Does anyone else miss Christopher Hitchens? TheMessiah 13 4301 March 12, 2015 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: QuarkDriven
  In my opinion most important Hitchens debate tor 0 1404 March 24, 2014 at 3:13 am
Last Post: tor
  Christopher Hitchens Anti-theism need your help Anti-theism 2 1958 December 13, 2013 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens - The Anti-Theist zgregz 10 6152 May 13, 2013 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: zgregz
  [HQ] Christopher Hitchens vs Tony Blair - Religion is a forc Woody68 0 1156 May 2, 2013 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Woody68