Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Faith vs. Atheist Conviction
Religious Faith vs. Atheist Conviction
A couple of days ago I spent some time with a friend of mine who I hadn't met for quite some time. She is what some would call a devout evangelical christian who is very invovled in her church. In fact, she is one of the few truly religious people I am friends with. The odd thing about her is that she isn't like other such christian women I've met. She hardly ever talks about christianity, she doesn't preach or try to convert anyone, she doesn't judge other people, she swears, she's a little 'loose' (she's very pretty) she doesn't have children, she's not married. But when we do talk about religion, everything she says leaves me completely convinced that her faith in God and christianity is absolute.
When we met, it just so happened that we talked about religion for quite a while. It struck me that her faith seems to be at least as strong as my atheistic conviction. In fact, she seems utterly convinced that God is real. I would rather call it a conviction, to be honest. When she talks about God and Jesus it sounds like she's talking about her neighbors Bob and Pete. I find this completely fascinating, especially since she is one of the most grounded and normal people I know. Also, she is one of those people who does something that actually really helps people who suffer for a living. She works at a shelter for homeless who are both drug addicts and have been diagnosed with serious mental illness.
Is she really stark raving insane? Is she the world's most convincing liar?
Is there anyone here who knows someone else like this?

RE: Religious Faith vs. Atheist Conviction
That's pretty common. It's a religious thing. It allows people to be completely delusional without being clinically diagnosed as insane.
(April 9, 2014 at 4:36 pm)sven Wrote: A couple of days ago I spent some time with a friend of mine who I hadn't met for quite some time. She is what some would call a devout evangelical christian who is very invovled in her church. In fact, she is one of the few truly religious people I am friends with. The odd thing about her is that she isn't like other such christian women I've met. She hardly ever talks about christianity, she doesn't preach or try to convert anyone, she doesn't judge other people, she swears, she's a little 'loose' (she's very pretty) she doesn't have children, she's not married. But when we do talk about religion, everything she says leaves me completely convinced that her faith in God and christianity is absolute.
When we met, it just so happened that we talked about religion for quite a while. It struck me that her faith seems to be at least as strong as my atheistic conviction. In fact, she seems utterly convinced that God is real. I would rather call it a conviction, to be honest. When she talks about God and Jesus it sounds like she's talking about her neighbors Bob and Pete. I find this completely fascinating, especially since she is one of the most grounded and normal people I know. Also, she is one of those people who does something that actually really helps people who suffer for a living. She works at a shelter for homeless who are both drug addicts and have been diagnosed with serious mental illness.

Most Christians I meet are reasonable. Most people I meet are reasonable. But then again I don't hang out with assholes. religious Beliefs has little to do with it.

This site don't like BS, so I would have to question why all these "Christian's" don't like you? If the Christian's around my way don't like you I have to say ... I might not either. Thinking And I am not christian.

No-Jesus I did it again, I forgot to say "hate, hate, hate, piss on people that don't think like me ... hate, hate ,hate. Then settle down and think about it.

In the interest of no Bullshit ... But then again I wasn't popped by a pastor or may daddy so I get alone with both. ROFLOLThinking
(April 9, 2014 at 5:05 pm)archangle Wrote:
(April 9, 2014 at 4:36 pm)sven Wrote: A couple of days ago I spent some time with a friend of mine who I hadn't met for quite some time. She is what some would call a devout evangelical christian who is very invovled in her church. In fact, she is one of the few truly religious people I am friends with. The odd thing about her is that she isn't like other such christian women I've met. She hardly ever talks about christianity, she doesn't preach or try to convert anyone, she doesn't judge other people, she swears, she's a little 'loose' (she's very pretty) she doesn't have children, she's not married. But when we do talk about religion, everything she says leaves me completely convinced that her faith in God and christianity is absolute.
This site don't like BS, so I would have to question why all these "Christian's" don't like you?
What are you talking about? What christians? You are not making sense.

I have several Christian friends that I go surfing with on a weekly basis. They are great people, that are otherwise well grounded. I have no reason to question the conviction of their beliefs.

Quote: It struck me that her faith seems to be at least as strong as my atheistic conviction.

I wouldn't call my atheism a 'conviction'. My atheism is a provisional position, and open to alteration if presented with evidence.

Quote:Is she really stark raving insane? Is she the world's most convincing liar?

No. It's called 'compartmentalization'.

She, like my friends mentioned above, have probably set aside a place in their minds where her Christian beliefs will be immune from the same sort of critical analysis that they apply to other claims. My friends have no problems at all evaluating other supernatural claims, and rejecting them for the right reasons (lack of demonstrable evidence), but they are unable or unwilling to use the same level of critical thinking with their own beliefs.

You can almost smell the burning gears their minds are going through from the cognitive dissonance.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(April 9, 2014 at 4:36 pm)sven Wrote: she doesn't preach or try to convert anyone, she doesn't judge other people, she swears, she's a little 'loose' (she's very pretty) she doesn't have children,....... When we met, it just so happened that we talked about religion for quite a while. It struck me that her faith seems to be at least as strong as my atheistic conviction. . ....Is she really stark raving insane? .

Are you trying to ask if it is Okay for you to pretend to give way on your atheist beliefs in order to bed her?
(April 9, 2014 at 7:04 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(April 9, 2014 at 4:36 pm)sven Wrote: she doesn't preach or try to convert anyone, she doesn't judge other people, she swears, she's a little 'loose' (she's very pretty) she doesn't have children,....... When we met, it just so happened that we talked about religion for quite a while. It struck me that her faith seems to be at least as strong as my atheistic conviction. . ....Is she really stark raving insane? .

Are you trying to ask if it is Okay for you to pretend to give way on your atheist beliefs in order to bed her?

Big Grin

That has to be one of the oldest tricks in the book. Grade school level. Like joining Drama just because the girl you like is in Drama. If you do this sort of thing you really need to step up your game! (Unless you are in grade school)
Also, lying to women is bad. Try practicing at home to become more honest:

Yes, you do look fat'
'That new haircut makes you appear old'
'Why yes, I was looking at that girl's ass!'

Anyway. I had a crush on her for a while and I flat out said so. Didn't work out well. It turned out she had a boyfriend she hadn't told me about. But that was a long time ago.

Compartmentalization... Simon Moon, I like that word. It is also difficult to spell.
I think I get it. I'm not good at that, which is probably why I'm so bad at keeping secrets. Perhaps this 'handicap' is the reason I find her so hard to understand.

(April 9, 2014 at 7:28 pm)sven Wrote: Compartmentalization... Simon Moon, I like that word. It is also difficult to spell.
I think I get it. I'm not good at that, which is probably why I'm so bad at keeping secrets. Perhaps this 'handicap' is the reason I find her so hard to understand.

Compartmentalization is an unconscious psychological defense mechanism used to avoid cognitive dissonance, or the mental discomfort and anxiety caused by a person's having conflicting values, cognitions, emotions, beliefs, etc. within themselves.

Compartmentalization allows these conflicting ideas to co-exist by inhibiting direct or explicit acknowledgement and interaction between separate compartmentalized self states.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
What ideas does she have that she has to compartmentalise? You're talking shit.
(April 9, 2014 at 4:36 pm)sven Wrote: Is she really stark raving insane? Is she the world's most convincing liar?

Not at all on both counts. She is, however, lying to herself. As a devout atheist I have donated a lot of my time to driving veterans to doctor's appointments, food shopping, special events... I've done these things because I like to think of myself as a good person. Your friend works at the homeless shelter for the same reason.

If she thinks she's doing charitable work because there's a god somewhere, yes, it's a lie, but it's a lie she can live with.
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 11899 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1424 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 32403 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2655 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2581 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17200 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7702 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Amos Yee : Atheist arrested twice for "intention to wound religious feelings" Incognito 20 6800 January 14, 2017 at 8:45 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8702 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12499 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp