Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sye Ten debate tactics
Sye Ten debate tactics
I watched latest AE episode and Dillahunty mentioned that the debate against Sye is finally been set up so I checked the former debates.
This guys is hilarious. His strategy is to argue that you need religion since you can't know anything absolutely certain.
Dillahunty will totally destroy him.

RE: Sye Ten debate tactics
Question: Are you using your reasoning to justify your reasoning.

Answer: Negative Sye, I take it as axiomatic that my reasoning is justified.

The initial exchange should have gone like that IMO.
(April 9, 2014 at 11:32 pm)Heywood Wrote: Question: Are you using your reasoning to justify your reasoning.

Answer: Negative Sye, I take it as axiomatic that my reasoning is justified.

The initial exchange should have gone like that IMO.

Why are you a theist?
Oh, this clown.

A typically dishonest creationist.

I think I once heard him on the Thinking Atheist
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 9, 2014 at 11:41 pm)Beccs Wrote: Oh, this clown.

Why is he dishonest? I think he really says what he thinks.
Ugh, I could write a book about all the flaws in Sye's presup nonsense. Dodgy

Quote:Why is he dishonest? I think he really says what he thinks.

I wish I could find this, but there's a video out there of Sye presenting to a bunch of christians, where he outright admits that the presuppositional position isn't convincing, and is set up just to shut up atheist dissent.

He knows his entire style is modulated to silence, rather than be a legitimate argument.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
He's a joke. He doesn't understand epistemology and yet prats on about it. He's very disingenuous in his tactics. For example, when he asks you "Is it impossible for God to exist?", he's not asking your opinion, he's asking you to give an unqualified, "absolute" statement regarding reality. Basically, he's asking what is probably the most difficult philosophical question, which lies at the heart of ontology: "What is being?"/"What does it mean to exist?"

I'd like to see him answer that, because I've never even seen professional philosophers give anything like a convincing answer to that, or even one they themselves really accept.

Do I use my reasoning to justify my reasoning? No. Reasoning is the way by which things are ultimately justified. How do we know our measuring devices are the length they are? We obviously can't use them to measure themselves because that's circular. Axioms are assumptions.

He claims that since our trail of justifications must go on forever, atheists can't know anything on their worldview. Then he claims that you must appeal to God since he knows everything... WTF? How does God know everything if the trail of justifications go on forever as he claims? God's justifications never lead to knowledge because on his view they never terminate.

The presuppositionalist's philosophy refutes itself on so many levels it's hilarious. They can go back to the pseudo-intellectual backwater they came from.
(April 10, 2014 at 12:08 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Do I use my reasoning to justify my reasoning? No. Reasoning is the way by which things are ultimately justified. How do we know our measuring devices are the length they are? We obviously can't use them to measure themselves because that's circular. Axioms are assumptions.

He claims that since our trail of justifications must go on forever, atheists can't know anything on their worldview. Then he claims that you must appeal to God since he knows everything... WTF? How does God know everything if the trail of justifications go on forever as he claims? God's justifications never lead to knowledge because on his view they never terminate.

How does God even know if He is God? If God is all powerful then He could create a lessor being and then trick that lessor being into believing it was god. God knows this and has to wonder...."Am I the true God or a lessor being tricked by the true God?". God can never really know if He is God or not and must base His belief that He is God on an assertion, axiom, or assumption....what ever you want to call it.

No man, no religion, and no god can ever be free from the need for assertions.
(April 10, 2014 at 10:45 am)Heywood Wrote:
(April 10, 2014 at 12:08 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Do I use my reasoning to justify my reasoning? No. Reasoning is the way by which things are ultimately justified. How do we know our measuring devices are the length they are? We obviously can't use them to measure themselves because that's circular. Axioms are assumptions.

How does God even know if He is God? If God is all powerful then He could create a lessor being and then trick that lessor being into believing it was god. God knows this and has to wonder...."Am I the true God or a lessor being tricked by the true God?". God can never really know if He is God or not and must base His belief that He is God on an assertion, axiom, or assumption....what ever you want to call it.

No man, no religion, and no god can ever be free from the need for assertions.

That's a nice assertion you got there.
(April 9, 2014 at 11:42 pm)tor Wrote:
(April 9, 2014 at 11:41 pm)Beccs Wrote: Oh, this clown.

Why is he dishonest? I think he really says what he thinks.

You tube ...sye walks out when questioned. Thats funny. He sux, I cant wait for matt to tear him a new asshole

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where to Debate Theists? Cephus 27 5758 April 13, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9476 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Has the Atheism vs. Theism debate played it's course? MJ the Skeptical 49 10533 August 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4006 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A great atheist debate video. Jehanne 0 1176 February 14, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What you see when you win a religious debate... x3 IanHulett 15 5114 October 20, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5339 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Dawkins' Debate Rejections Shuffle 46 11081 August 28, 2015 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Dawkins explains why he wont debate William Lane Craig Justtristo 45 10921 June 29, 2015 at 3:00 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Anyone want to debate this formally with me? Mystic 37 8230 November 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Angrboda