Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most frustrating Fallacies that Religious people bring up?
Most frustrating Fallacies that Religious people bring up?
1. (Shifting the) Burden of Proof (see – onus probandi) – I need not prove my claim, you must prove it is false. Even a negative claim that they want refuted.

2. Argument from Ignorance (appeal to ignorance, argumentum ad ignorantiam) – Assuming that a claim is true because it has not been or cannot be proven false, or vice versa. Or, something is so complex it must be designed.

3. Moving the Goalposts (raising the bar) – Argument in which evidence presented in response to a specific claim is dismissed and some other (often greater) evidence is demanded.

4. Red Herrings – A speaker attempts to distract an audience by deviating from the topic at hand by introducing a separate argument the speaker believes is easier to speak to. And there are many many many Red Herrings that people use. It may be the most frustrating.

5. Cherry Picking (suppressed evidence, incomplete evidence) – The act of pointing at individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position.

6. Straw Man – Possibly the most annoying. It's a Red Herring where an argument is based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position

7. Poisoning the Well – A type of ad hominem where adverse information about a target is presented with the intention of discrediting everything that the target person says. Religious people love doing this to Darwin etc.

Well, those are some of the most frustrating and common ones I hear. If you're not big on fallacies go to the wiki page here and pick your favs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.
RE: Most frustrating Fallacies that Religious people bring up?
All of the above. It's often fascinated me that certain people feel the need to resort to these tactics; one might almost think they had nothing else to bring to the table.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Very popular: the argument from consequences.

As in: If evolution is true, there will be murder and mayhem. Therefore, it is false. Or: I don't want it all to end when I die, therefore there must be an afterlife!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The argument from pantomimia (oh no it isn't) - because I made this
Argument from personal experience is one that pisses me off.

"I had this experience I can't explain so you should believe in my god!"
Dying to live, living to die.
Ad hominem pisses me off the most. Usually its mixed with straw man and shifting of burden. But there are these people who instead of debating talk about how you are a psychopath and your worldview sucks etc.
(April 10, 2014 at 3:43 pm)tor Wrote: I'm ... born from pigs

Sounds feasible though?
(April 10, 2014 at 3:45 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(April 10, 2014 at 3:43 pm)tor Wrote: I'm ... born from pigs

Sounds feasible though?

Are you talking about yourself?
(April 10, 2014 at 3:46 pm)tor Wrote: Are you talking about yourself?

Bingo!

Argumentus Pantomimus
Re: RE: Most frustrating Fallacies that Religious people bring up?
(April 10, 2014 at 3:39 pm)Beccs Wrote: Argument from personal experience is one that pisses me off.

"I had this experience I can't explain so you should believe in my god!"

I hate that one too. They always resort to it when all else fails.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1072 74707 April 17, 2024 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11441 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 650 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7018 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 4944 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Religious texts used to manipulate people Foxaèr 13 3754 June 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A friendly religious discussion with theists without any fallacies! ignoramus 18 3175 May 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How do religious people justify raising and slaughtering animals for food? Alexmahone 113 12872 December 6, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Little Rik
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16244 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9482 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k