Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heaven and The Problem of Evil
Heaven and The Problem of Evil
One thing I've realized that I seldom see Christians talk about in any detail is heaven. Now, the Bible only gives us glimpses into what heaven is supposed to be, but it doesn't seem to be talked about other than in the most vague sense imaginable. I've noticed this both back when I believed and after I stopped. The only consistent thing I hear about it is that there is supposed to be no suffering. Now, how that is achieved differs from person to person. You might think that you'd feel sad thinking about loved ones that ended up in hell, but some people suggest that you are simply incapable of thinking about it (some go so far as to say your memory of those people is erased). Also, there is no sin or suffering in heaven, and certainly, no one is hurting anyone up there.

Now, that can conjure up some odd mental images, but where it really gets weird is how any imagining of heaven mixes with the most common forms of theodicy and modern apologetics.

There are a lot of different ways to try and solve the Problem of Evil, but the most common ones you hear about these days are Free will, you have to know dark to appreciate light, and the best of all possible worlds. Lets look at those in depth a bit in context with heaven.

Free Will:
Free will has always been a big deal for Christianity. Many consider it the cause of all of our current suffering and the justification for the existence of hell. You can ask why God has to work under this framework and why it's necessary for us to be able to be this terrible for God's great plan, but rest assured that this is because of [reasons]. Sometimes, people speculate that this is because God needs to know that we really love him, so we have to be able to love him on our own, and that this isn't super creepy or narcissistic because of [more reasons]. I'm starting to get off track, but what's important is that free will is really important.

So, the believers all die and go to heaven (yay!) and everything is wonderful beyond all imagination. Also, they are being nice to each other, because if they weren't, it wouldn't be wonderful. So, are they able to sin or be mean to each other? Do they still have their free will? Yes or no?

Yes: Yes, they still have their free will, but they never make bad decisions. What the fuck?! Why couldn't God have made us this way in the first place? And before you say "well, only the good people go to heaven, so of course they behave themselves", according to the Bible there are no people on this planet who are without sin. It's not like they are already that good or anything. There's obviously some type of transformation going on here, and YHWH is clearly holding back on Earth. So, this leads to the conclusion of unnecessary suffering.

No: What the fuck!? I thought that free will was super important to justify The Problem of Evil because of [reasons]. This answer just invalidated this approach of theodicy on first principles.

You have to know dark to appreciate light/The best of all possible worlds:
(I'll combine these two here, because they work similarly when discussing heaven)

So, the idea here is that God faces some sort of limitations (because [reasons], of course) and that we have to suffer here before we can enjoy heaven there. It's a rather convenient Post Hoc justification, but it is what it is. The point is, we suffer some finite amount here so we can enjoy heaven infinitely there. Now, this seems like a bit of a math failure regarding how finite and infinite numbers work, but whatever. Now this leads me to an important question: does the amount we suffer in this life in any way impact our enjoyment of heaven (for all eternity!)? Yes or no?

Yes: Yikes! As creepy as it sounds, the most optimal solution here is the torture the ever-loving crap out of ourselves/each other as much as possible for optimal bliss later. Lets hope we weren't wrong and there is no heaven! Also, why does an all-loving God "bless" some people with more suffering than others? This seems unfair. Is it [reasons]?

No: So, as long as we've "suffered", then that's good enough to get the most out of heaven? Then anything more is unnecessary and God is being unnecessarily cruel. Anything beyond having souls exist in human bodies for just baaaarely as long as needed and then killing them and sending their souls to heaven is gratuitous. What the crap, YHWH?

Of course, the obvious answer is that these two approaches are simply Post Hoc rationalizations for why we get the world that we live in and can observe while simultaneously talking about God and The Problem of Evil. It's painfully obvious that either the yes or no answer to the question above point to a world that is clearly different than what we have, so, if you believe that heaven involves no suffering, then you have to come to the conclusion that God didn't craft the world in the most optimal fashion (making the best of all possible worlds fail).

So, there you have it. As soon as you start imagining an infinitely wonderful heaven, the Problem of Evil rears it's ugly head again, destroying several hundred years of carefully crafted apologetics. I really with Christians would talk more about heaven in Bible studies and ask these sorts of questions.
RE: Heaven and The Problem of Evil
Yeah, I've never heard anyone come up with anything close to a decent justification for this. I've heard some people claim that god couldn't have just made this world heaven because we need to use our free will to end up there, but when I try to get them to expand further upon that an explain why exactly the choice was so important, they never have an answer. I've also heard one person claim that heaven has free will but it is free of sin. The problem there is that if you can't choose to sin, you don't have free will.

As far as the problem of suffering goes, a lot of Christians like to use the benefit we gain from experiencing hardship as a defense, but god's omnipotence means that any such benefit gained from suffering could be given sans the suffering. Since god is capable of doing all things without suffering, you are left with the proposition that suffering is merely for suffering's sake, and god is just a sadistic fuck that gets his rocks off from watching lesser beings struggle.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 10, 2014 at 7:56 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I've heard some people claim that god couldn't

[/omniqualities]
The evil here is the result of us doing what is right in our own eyes.
As Pogo said,
"We have seen the enemy and his is us".

On Heaven,if you want to find out what the place is like- go to youtube and punch in Oden Hetrick or (more recently) Katt Kerr and listen to their trips there. Others have had glimpses of it but these have seen more.
(April 10, 2014 at 8:50 pm)professor Wrote: The evil here is the result of us doing what is right in our own eyes.
As Pogo said,

On Heaven,if you want to find out what the place is like- go to youtube and punch in Oden Hetrick or (more recently) Katt Kerr and listen to their trips there. Others have had glimpses of it but these have seen more.

NDEs are evidence that the people saw visions due to chemicals in the brain.
Dying to live, living to die.
Neither of these people were near death experiences.

The Bible says in the last days your young men will see vision and your old men will dreams and upon the maidservants (of God) I will pour out My spirit.
This is that which was spoken of.
(April 10, 2014 at 9:14 pm)professor Wrote: Neither of these people were near death experiences.

The Bible says in the last days your young men will see vision and your old men will dreams and upon the maidservants (of God) I will pour out My spirit.

Yeah, the bible says a lot of things, many of them contradictory.

And would you take it seriously if people claimed to have been to Nirvana or the afterlife/heaven-equivalent of another religion?
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 10, 2014 at 8:50 pm)professor Wrote: The evil here is the result of us doing what is right in our own eyes.
As Pogo said,

Well drowning children in a great flood isn't right in our eyes, but it is for god. Alright Next time I see a group of sinners I'll pitch them the word of god if they don't come clean I'll drown them and their children!

Just doing what's right in god's eyes here. Don't judge me bro!!!!

(April 10, 2014 at 9:14 pm)professor Wrote: Neither of these people were near death experiences.

A brilliant bible author realized that when something as big of a framework as a religion (delving into every aspect of your life) becomes well consumed, people will dream about it and in severe cases hallucinate about it. Of course back then hallucinations to them were "visions"! so how do you use that to your advantage? Make it look like a prediction.
PM me if you know where this is from "...knees in the breeze" and don't look it up!!

All visions fall into one of three categories. A dream, a hallucination, or someone just making shit up.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste -- don't pollute it with bullshit.
One more thing, visions and dreams? VISIONS AND DREAMS? REALLY??????? If you really give a crap about your existence being recognized and your works being followed...........VISIONS AND DREAMS???

How about..... show yourself for once!!!!!!!!
PM me if you know where this is from "...knees in the breeze" and don't look it up!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 1 319 December 11, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 35154 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 133 16099 December 16, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1494 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Is there free will in Heaven? zwanzig 54 4267 April 12, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2055 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christians pray evil away on the winter solstice. brewer 9 981 December 29, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2252 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Eternity in Heaven - Scary? JairCrawford 47 5382 July 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Pope Francis -- dogs go to Heaven! Jehanne 34 5444 October 19, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus