Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A sudden disconnect ?
A sudden disconnect ?
The other day I went over to a "frame shop" to get a quote on framing a bunch of Alex grey posters that I have. The old man was chatty and down to earth, we spent about half an hour talking before he spit out "I am a man of god and believe he put me down on earth to be a framer" I chuckled and carried on a different subject without actually realizing that I felt a sudden disconnect after hearing that.

I started realizing this before but when ever I am around religious folk I develop a disconnection and try to plead out as soon as possible. Basically I don't like being around them, even if they are generous and nice.

Does anyone else feel that way?
RE: A sudden disconnect ?
(April 10, 2014 at 9:48 pm)Vegamo Wrote: The other day I went over to a "frame shop" to get a quote on framing a bunch of Alex grey posters that I have. The old man was chatty and down to earth, we spent about half an hour talking before he spit out "I am a man of god and believe he put me down on earth to be a framer" I chuckled and carried on a different subject without actually realizing that I felt a sudden disconnect after hearing that.

I started realizing this before but when ever I am around religious folk I develop a disconnection and try to plead out as soon as possible. Basically I don't like being around them, even if they are generous and nice.

Religious people are harder to trust, we see all too often that their religion is nothing more than an excuse to be an asshole.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste -- don't pollute it with bullshit.
(April 10, 2014 at 9:52 pm)Godlesspanther Wrote:
(April 10, 2014 at 9:48 pm)Vegamo Wrote: The other day I went over to a "frame shop" to get a quote on framing a bunch of Alex grey posters that I have. The old man was chatty and down to earth, we spent about half an hour talking before he spit out "I am a man of god and believe he put me down on earth to be a framer" I chuckled and carried on a different subject without actually realizing that I felt a sudden disconnect after hearing that.

Religious people are harder to trust, we see all too often that their religion is nothing more than an excuse to be an asshole.

Very true, looking back at my life only the religious ones have betrayed me.

Oh yes, wanna know whats worst? When you're in the Army and you're disconnected from the rest of your platoon because they're die hard fundamentalists and they keep bringing up religion in every conversation.
PM me if you know where this is from "...knees in the breeze" and don't look it up!!
Religious people judge harshly. I am ostracize in my community, when people find out I am an atheist. Then again, I do not want to be friends with them.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Religious people cannot think clearly, they scare me.
God put him on Earth to be a framer? Um, OK. I guess we all have our cross to bear.
No. I'll usually just try to gradually change the flow of conversation.
Some of my best friends are religious.

If they're pushy I'll put them in their place...but just casually bringing up god? What's the big deal?
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed

Yeah, they creep me out. Especially when they catch me off-guard as in your example. Makes me want to back out of the room without making eye contact.

Unfortunately, I can't do this with my ophthalmologist. The guy thinks God put him on Earth to remove cataracts. (I never asked him why God decided to bless us with them in the first place.) But, he's damn good at cataract surgery and I know I'll need to see him again soon.
You probably get uncomfortable because you're afraid they'll try to evangelize you. That's why I'm afraid to answer the door bell. Usually it's a Jehovah's Witness or someone trying to sell me something. Most of the time when someone makes a comment like that he's advertising his faith, but won't go beyond that unless you continue along that line.