Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Problem with the God premise
The problem with the god premise is that it is not thought out very well. Many of the religious believe that we humans are made in his likeness, meaning that we 'look' like god.

If this is true then it means that god has a nose and a mouth. If he has a nose then he must need to breathe, or else suffocate to death if he doesn't breathe. If he has a mouth then he must need to eat, or else starve to death. Even more absurd is the fact that eating leads to pooping and peeing. An eternity of using the bathroom means that heaven must surely stink by now.

NO NO, other believers will say. Being made in god's likeness means we 'think' like him. Really? Has anyone taken a look at what mankind has wrought on earth? Our thoughts are murderous, greedy, and selfish.

So, what part of this god are we like that would lead us to worship him?
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
RE: The Problem with the God premise
I've been told that being in his likeness doesn't mean he's humanoid either, but I think most deities are humanoid. It's a common physical description. Yes we can be petty, jealous, wrathful, all things Yahweh is said to be at times. We can also be caring and compassionate to the downtrodden, which Jesus is said to be. This deity really isn't much different from us at all.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

If I remember correctly, what is meant by being made in God's image can simply mean that we're supposedly made in the way God imagimed for us to be.
(April 12, 2014 at 9:58 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: If I remember correctly, what is meant by being made in God's image can simply mean that we're supposedly made in the way God imagimed for us to be.
Uhhh... Thinking
[Image: thfrog.gif]

The term Imago Dei translated as "image of God" is grossly oversimplified.

Quote:("image of God"): A theological term, applied uniquely to humans, which denotes the symbolical relation between God and humanity. The term has its roots in Genesis 1:27, wherein "God created man in his own image. . ." This scriptural passage does not mean that God is in human form, but rather, that humans are in the image of God in their moral, spiritual, and intellectual nature. Thus, humans mirror God's divinity in their ability to actualize the unique qualities with which they have been endowed, and which make them different than all other creatures: rational structure (see logos), complete centeredness, creative freedom, a possibility for self-actualization, and the ability for self-transcendence.

http://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/theogl...-body.html

It's an interesting, but primitive take on human psychology and philosophy of mind.
Ah, I was off. I did recall seeing that before.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12239 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  A new understanding to an old premise Drich 42 14441 July 27, 2013 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Drich
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6668 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad