Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will The Internet Kill Religion?
Video 
Will The Internet Kill Religion?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04jjBv6QR8k

Personally, I began to question my faith at a time when I wasn't spending "400 bajillion hours a day" on the internet. However, given that I was on the internet at all, there may be something to this study. On the other hand, you can find anyone and anything on the internet that will say what you want them to say.

What do you guys think? Could the internet be a factor in people losing their religion? Or is this just a coincidence and nothing more?
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
RE: Will The Internet Kill Religion?
I became atheist because of the internet. Though, you could have said that I was atheist before I went online.

I turned to the internet when I was younger because I was afraid of hell because I couldn't force myself to believe in God and kept having atheistic thoughts.
At least, the internet helped me to realize that I didn't have to keep pretending to believe something I didn't. I think I'd still be trying to be a Christian right now if it weren't for what I learned being online.
Xtianity was dying in Europe long before the internet. I do think it is a factor in the US, however.
I started questioning things before I got into the internet, but the internet was a BIG reason I now call myself an atheist. Like the woman in the video said, the internet makes it a lot easier to get information and talk to people with different worldviews.

All through my childhood, we'd sometimes joke about what christmas trees and rabbits have to do with christianity, but no one was going to say it's a hold over from pagan religions. My pastor wasn't going to tell me that christianity incorporated belief systems into it to help convert people. No one was going to say that the idea of a virgin birth wasn't unique to Jesus. No one even said there really were people long ago that worshiped Zeus just as fervently as we worship Jesus today. No one explained that the days of the week are named after Norse gods.

It takes seconds to find out things that used to take hours. That's a big change.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Nothing is going to completely kill our species gap filling gullibility that leads to the creation of religions. Having said that though, technology is making it harder for naked assertions and absurd claims to hide behind the taboos religions seek to set up.

Once you know what DNA is virgin births make no sense. Once you know what rigor mortis is, rising from the dead makes no sense. Just like there is no going back once you know the earth is a globe and not flat.

Religion does not deserve a pass, and it must be challenged and scrutinized at every turn.
I think the Internet had a lot to do with me not believing, but I don't know that it will kill religion. It might push fundamentalism further to a lunatic fringe in the eyes of most non-fundies, but I don't think religion will go away entirely.
It's not likely that religion will go away completely. I agree with that. Still, it's helping to educate people, and education really hurts religion. That's why the big thing Adam and Eve wasn't supposed to do was gain knowledge.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

THE INTERNET IS SATAN!!!
THE GREATEST TRUCK THIS SATAN GUY PLAIED ON YOU GUYS IS HE WASn*T THERE!
EVERT TYME YOU DWNLOD FORM THE INTERNET YOU ARE SATAN!Devil

(April 13, 2014 at 12:02 pm)Diamond Wrote: What do you guys think? Could the internet be a factor in people losing their religion? Or is this just a coincidence and nothing more?
It seems a reasonable assumption to make. The internet allows people to access information more readily while also reducing (or even eliminating) the peer pressure that may be used to keep them from seeking it out.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Kill it? No.

Erode its power and influence to a depth unknown in human history? Absolutely. It arguably already has, and it has only really just started.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham Foxaèr 724 63321 August 1, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  It Must Kill These Baptist Shitballs. Minimalist 49 8923 April 17, 2018 at 5:53 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10701 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4894 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19763 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Question "Thou shall not kill" commandment is hypocritical? pocaracas 92 17863 August 26, 2015 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  being told to kill myself by someone who supposedly believe in God mainethinker 266 40413 January 18, 2015 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Mental Outlaw
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49210 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  God v The Internet Minimalist 11 2030 November 17, 2014 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Is the internet destroying religion? Dystopia 66 12401 August 16, 2014 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda