Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ding! Dong! The bitch is dead!
Ding! Dong! The bitch is dead!
Is it ever okay to celebrate the death of someone else?

RE: Ding! Dong! The bitch is dead!

"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Not philosophy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBrLHMCTDAA

Quill, I posted the Ewok celebrations scene from The Return of the Jedi. .

I want people to use the occasion of my death to celebrate my life. This may not be what you're after.

I was indifferent at the passing of Kim Jong-il, mostly because I knew he would be replaced and it would be business as usual in North Korea. I might have felt different if his death signaled the end of tyranny and oppression for North Koreans.

A slightly different consideration...
I would euphorically shit myself if Kanye West and Kim Kardashian made a sincere promise to never be heard or seen from again, but I certainly wouldn't celebrate their deaths if something tragic were to happen to them. This isn't just a Kim and Kanye thing; this would apply to any number of overexposed celebrity dimwits in the realm of entertainment, politics, religion, sport or general idiocy.

(April 15, 2014 at 2:32 am)bennyboy Wrote: Not philosophy.

I can sympathize with your sentiment; however, I can easily see this as a legitimate ethical discussion.
Death is part of life, and I see no problem with celebrating when horrible people die. Good riddance! Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 15, 2014 at 2:21 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Is it ever okay to celebrate the death of someone else?

Sure.

In fact, it is the entire grieving part I never honestly understood. If most people genuinely believe that their departed loved ones are in a better place, then it would stand to reason to celebrate the transition rather than the earthly loss.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Utilitarian:
Celebrating the deaths of people who knowlingly did horrible things could discourage behaviors like theirs. Good.

Virtue ethics:
Celebrating a death for its own sake reflects the attitude that some people should die just because they were bad. Ambiguous, further inquiry
This attitude that you should die if you do these things may discourage (good), but some people may act upon this attitude (ambiguous). Would that action be okay?
From a utilitarian standpoint, it would be bad to take the criminal's life if his life is still enjoyable (bad), but it would be good to discourage his crimes (good). Whether punishing the criminal would be good depends on the extent of the crimes and the effectiveness of the warning. still ambiguous after inquiry

Temporary Conclusion: It is generally good to celebrate the deaths of people who do horrible things.
The amount of celebration that is appropriate for a death exists on a sliding scale for me.

The death of a Kim Jong-il, an Osama Bin Laden, a Stalin, a Hitler, a Pol Pot are worth celebrating in the sense that that death might signal the end of a terrible governmental reign or political ideology that oppressed its citizens, or cause the unnecessary suffering and death of innocent people. The celebration could be both a celebration that the person can no longer inflict pain and suffering on others as well as hope that their successor be less atrocious, but that can often be a hope that is never achieved. I, personally, didn't celebrate Bin Laden's death because I knew that it wasn't going to end the war in Iraq, it wasn't going to end the war on terror, nothing was going to change and the next guy in line would step up to take his spot, who while the figure head is gone, that doesn't mean anything in terms of how the organization of Al Qaeda is run or it's future effectiveness.

The death of a business tycoon who took advantage of their employees probably warrants less celebration than a Kim Jung-il, but to the people oppressed by that business tycoon that death is probably worth celebrating with the hopes that the tycoon to replace them is more fair-minded.

The death of an annoying celebrity who is not hurting anyone but themselves and their reputations is probably not worth getting that celebratory over.

In terms of GOT,

Whether a person would celebrate someone else's death is entirely a personal matter and entirely up to how that death would impact the life of the person celebrating. Feel however you want.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(April 15, 2014 at 10:31 am)Kitanetos Wrote:
(April 15, 2014 at 2:21 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Is it ever okay to celebrate the death of someone else?

Sure.

In fact, it is the entire grieving part I never honestly understood. If most people genuinely believe that their departed loved ones are in a better place, then it would stand to reason to celebrate the transition rather than the earthly loss.

You don't grieve for the people. You grieve for the broken world view you have in which some temporary things feel permanent, and you now must reorganize that whole view. Cognitive dissonance + love = tears.
Ok,you lot realize that no one has died, right?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson