Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Idea of a God Is Not So Crazy
The Idea of a God Is Not So Crazy
So before I start I just want to make a couple things clear:

1) I'm atheist
2) I understand that many of you guys will disagree with me so please reply so I can have a better perspective
3) This is just a general idea, not even worthy to be called a hypothesis or theory
4) Seeing that I am atheist, there are three relevant precepts to keep in mind of where I am coming from:
a) God is a made up superstition designed to help people cope with the idea of death and uncertainty
b) religion seeks to control people by using false book such as the BOM, Bible, Quran, Tora, ect.
c) There is no verifiable, quantifiable, observable, empirical evidence to support any current theories of a God, Savior, or One True Religion.

That being said, I may now actually say something that will surprise some people:

I am atheist, I very much dislike religion, but I don't dislike the idea of a God, a Divine Creator, and I do not discourage the pursuit of evidence of that creator. I don't think it's that crazy of an idea, I think religion is crazy (seeing as the mormon faith and surrounding christians really put a bad taste in my mouth and my mind does not allow my to believe in any sort of dogma without reason and logic.)

Being an atheist, I believe the pursuit of science would eventually unveil the existence of a god if he/she/it existed.

Any true atheist or logical thinker cannot deny the possibility of a god, and would certainly have to accept the existence of one if given evidence.

Atheists and agnostics deny religion and don't focus too much on the possibility of a god, theists usually accept religion because they believe in the possibility of a god, or perhaps are convinced that there has to be a god.

That being said, I think it is inherently unavoidable to come upon the idea of a god or creator.

I propose that individuals join religions only because of they agree with that assumption: the existence of a god. Religions then manipulate that innocent belief to impose dogmas, rules, cultural constructs, ect.

This is my proposal because because I do not necessarily see the idea of a belief of a god very destructive, but I do see the the belief systems of religion to be extremely destructive.

What do you guys think? I need some feed back to either correct this proposal or get rid of it entirely.

Do you think people join religions and follow them without question only because it agrees with the assumption of a higher intelligence?

(I hope I articulated this well enough.)
Also, that being said, I do reject the importance or existence of a god or higher intelligence. I'm not sure if that was clear. I just don't condemn the belief of a god, I condemn religion.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: The Idea of a God Is Not So Crazy
I liked u before u said.. so before I start.. ha j.k.
(April 16, 2014 at 2:04 pm)truthBtold Wrote: I liked u before u said.. so before I start.. ha j.k.

Hahaha you're a troll bro Wink Shades haha
(April 16, 2014 at 2:09 pm)elconquistador Wrote:
(April 16, 2014 at 2:04 pm)truthBtold Wrote: I liked u before u said.. so before I start.. ha j.k.

Hahaha you're a troll bro Wink Shades haha

No troll. Just the hair.. the idea of god.. hmm. Where do we even begin.. what is a god.. is he or her.. physical???
(April 16, 2014 at 2:19 pm)truthBtold Wrote:
(April 16, 2014 at 2:09 pm)elconquistador Wrote: Hahaha you're a troll bro Wink Shades haha

No troll. Just the hair.. the idea of god.. hmm. Where do we even begin.. what is a god.. is he or her.. physical???

Men made up religion, that why god is a guy .

one day he got so horny, so he fucked Mary(the virgin) and he forgot to cum outside .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(April 16, 2014 at 2:19 pm)truthBtold Wrote:
(April 16, 2014 at 2:09 pm)elconquistador Wrote: Hahaha you're a troll bro Wink Shades haha

I have absolutely no idea. haha. I don't believe in one. But for those who do, whether he/she/it, tangible/intangible...
Sounds closer to deism than atheism if you want to believe there's a god, but don't like religion. I don't really see the point in believing there's a god that started everything, but doesn't play an active part in the world. I also don't see evidence that any gods play an active part in the world. Believing in a god isn't the craziest thing in the world to me, though I grew up religious so my opinions could be skewed. Still, I'd rather not worry about deities or afterlifes. I have too much going on here and now.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I don't need any fucking god. The concept of a "being" beyond the scope of time and space is far more absurd than anything science has ever suggested. Scientists, as a matter of fact, would be ashamed to offer such a preposterous idea.

That takes a theologian.
(April 16, 2014 at 2:40 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Sounds closer to deism than atheism if you want to believe there's a god, but don't like religion. I don't really see the point in believing there's a god that started everything, but doesn't play an active part in the world. I also don't see evidence that any gods play an active part in the world. Believing in a god isn't the craziest thing in the world to me, though I grew up religious so my opinions could be skewed. Still, I'd rather not worry about deities or afterlifes. I have too much going on here and now.

I completely agree with you, that's why I'm atheist. Hahaha. It was just an idea, one of which I completely retract at this point.

(April 16, 2014 at 3:10 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I don't need any fucking god. The concept of a "being" beyond the scope of time and space is far more absurd than anything science has ever suggested. Scientists, as a matter of fact, would be ashamed to offer such a preposterous idea.

That takes a theologian.

That wasn't exactly my argument, but I agree with you. Anyways, Like I said, I retract my idea. The point is void and mute, now.
(April 16, 2014 at 1:59 pm)elconquistador Wrote: I am atheist, I very much dislike religion, but I don't dislike the idea of a God, a Divine Creator, and I do not discourage the pursuit of evidence of that creator.
I would neither discourage nor encourage it. But science need not look for god so much as it needs to continue to try and learn how things around us work. If god is anywhere there, I agree that we will eventually find him, unless she wishes to never be found.

I like the idea of gods in the same way I like the idea of any fantasy creature. It sounds pretty cool as long as we envision it as relatively pleasant (ie, dragons sound cool until they decide to turn your neighborhood into a slag heap). However, unless he has a very good explanation for what we are going through, I'm not sure I'd want there to be a god that created the universe we live in and has allowed the world to develop as it has. Because he sounds, at best, as if he is incapable of empathy. At worst, he likes what he sees. And that would be scary.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3271 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jerusalem, rapture, the coming of christ, and crazy evangelicals WinterHold 9 1308 May 25, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Disappointment in God's idea purplepurpose 19 3338 December 4, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
Question My mom's idea of a good path Der/die AtheistIn 6 1088 November 27, 2017 at 2:19 am
Last Post: chorlton
  Religion: Just Plain Crazy Minimalist 10 2316 September 26, 2017 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 17 3823 November 29, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 18 4010 November 28, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Maybe I'm being crazy... BrokenQuill92 18 1939 November 21, 2016 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What A Fantastic Idea! Minimalist 4 1101 July 3, 2016 at 10:57 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 15590 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue